Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 90mm fork on a 94-95 bike
  • withersea
    Free Member

I’ve got an old GT Tequesta with a set of RS forks that have died. I want to keep the bike going, but the nearest fork to the old Indy xc I can find is 90mm.

Any advice as to whether this will be ok/awful much appreciated

letmetalktomark

I dropped a pair of Reba SL forks down to 70mm travel with no issues.

Plenty of second hand 60 – 65mm Marzocchi Z series forks around too.

EDIT > IMHO 90mm would make the ride feel terrible .

wwaswas

I’ve got a pair of 80mm SIDS that you could drop to 60mm if you needed to.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/hayes-hfx9-carbon-brakes-50-disk-wheelset-45

beanum

I’ve got a Rock Lobster frame from around that time with some period Pace forks with the extension from 70mm to 90mm fitted and it’s fine. It’s not as darty as I remember my mate’s old Lava Dome being (but I’m not sure if the two bikes even had the same geometry).
    The only problem I do have is that the springs are quite soft on the forks so it does tend to dive a bit when crossing drainage ditch type obstacles.

withersea
    Free Member

Cheers all, will see how easy it is to drop them 20mm

withersea
    Free Member

Cheers all I will see if I can find some modern 90mm and drop them 20mm

TimP
    Free Member

So why would this feel awful if you increased the travel? Would it not just make it slacker as per most of the current geometries (disregarding the ability of the frame to take the extra leverage). Would a change in bar width/stem length help offset it? Only asking as I am running longer than the original forks on my Orange at the moment and it feels very twitchy and light at the front, what could I do to make it more stable? Flip the stem?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There’s a LOT more to it than just making it slacker! I don’t really understand myself but after fitting similar forks to a similar age Kona, I can confirm it was horrible!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘90mm fork on a 94-95 bike’ is closed to new replies.