Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 9 speed chain with a 10 speed set up
  • houghta
    Free Member

hi guys i have just bought a 2nd hand full susser cube which is 10 speed to take the place of my 9 speed hardtail and i have 3 brand new sram 9 speed chains and i was wondering if these will work on my 10 speed system or is the 10 speed chain narrower
    cheers houghta

welshfarmer

10 speed chain is narrower so probably won’t work (cue lots of people saying they have done it OK).

dis40
    Free Member

As above, unlikely to work very well or not at all as the 9 speed chain thicker than a 10 speed chain even know the actual inside profile is the same. So a 10 speed chain will work fine on a 9 speed cassette but that does really help you.

Try it an see but suspect it will either derail its self or rub the above and below cassette cog

ransos
    Free Member

It didn’t work on my road bike…the chain was rubbing on the cassette.

chakaping
    Free Member

Done it by mistake, wouldn’t recommend it.

philjunior
    Free Member

Interested to hear that the reverse works as I now have a mixture of 9s on MTBs and 10s on road bikes, so I could just have a spare 10s chain that will go on anything should it be required?

tom84
    Free Member

i would like to advocate 10 speed chains on 9spd set ups, esp if running n/w chainrings. I have this on my cx bike which I absolutely abuse and it has been faultless. probably no help to you as you are in the other position. I would also say that 9spd chains are my favorite for SS though.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘9 speed chain with a 10 speed set up’ is closed to new replies.