Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • £9 bike mag.
  • zippykona

Flicking through smiths and saw a shiny bike mag. Thought it was worth a go then saw the price. Anyone bought it?

geoffj

Privateer?
    Yes, and I think it is worth it. At least edition with the Nicolai and Steve Peat articles

jota180
    Free Member

£9 is about the price I’d pay for 3 mags

They’re just too dear to bother with now in hard copies

monkeyboyjc

Privateer is a great mag (and well worth two of any other imo)… 😀

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

…to go with the Tallboy Ltc perhaps?

ourmaninthenorth

Oh this old s–t again.

For the (in)frequency of publication, the price works out the same as the monthlies, and the monthlies are almost entirely adverts.

STW has always been an exception and – what’s that? – it’s just dropped through the letterbox.

rewski
    Free Member

cheaper digitally through itunes

Lifer
    Free Member

Same with Rouler and Ride Journal (which are both excellent imo).

If you don’t think it’s worth it don’t buy it!

brant
    Free Member

NINE QUID?

dazzlingboy

Anyone scan me a copy of the Nicolai article? Would be interested to read that. Email in profile and would be very grateful/offer beers etc.

wwaswas

Would be interested to read that.

£9 interested?

ski
    Free Member

1st edtion have been selling for silly money on ebay!

£20+ 😯

warton
    Free Member

20 quid for the 1st privateer? I’ve got two of them, but I’ll probably wait a bit. the first edition of Rouleur goes for 200…

JoB
    Free Member

that’s cheap compared to the £10 i just got

ourmaninthenorth

1st edtion have been selling for silly money on ebay! £20+

First editions of Rouleur sell for multiples of that. Mate sold his for well over £150.

footflaps

I subscribe to Privateer, happy to pay £9 for it.

Cougar

I always wondered, did they intentionally name them to sound like grumble mags?

dogbert
    Free Member

Magazines are for pretty pictures, the odd article but mainly something to stare at other than the shampoo bottles and wifes fanny pads while you’re having a 15 minute crap to get away from the other half for a bit of peace.

If paying 9 quid makes you feel just that little bit niche and part of some exclusive club then knock yourself out. I stopped buying Singletrack when the price went up, seems to be a lot of nothing in it.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Do they have more articles in them than reviews of kit that’s too bling or expensive for a mere mortal to afford? If so I may switch my mag subs for something that is more of a read.

meehaja
    Free Member

I sold issue 1,2,3,4 and 5 on ebay for £115. Try selling second hand copies of mbuk for more than twice the cover price…

bullheart
    Free Member

They (TRJ, Rouleur, Privateer) are just way, way better.

I’m happy to pay the money for them.

monkeyboyjc

I sold issue 1,2,3,4 and 5 on ebay for £115. Try selling second hand copies of mbuk for more than twice the cover price…

mmm, may have to sell my full set of Privateer’s….

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

If you don’t like it don’t buy it! I often think £9 is steep but all the other bike mags are tosh, unfortunately I don’t like STW mag either (great website though). Just bought privateer today interesting article by the looks of things with Helen Mortimer.

highclimber
    Free Member

Alpinist magazine is nearer £14 IIRC! it’s only quarterly though and the articles are generally really good not to mention the photos!

Stoner
    Free Member

I have The Ride 1-5, going in my will to the first born. Probably be the most valuable thing I pass on anyway 🙂

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

All worth it – no product reviews just editorial and informative comment, love them all, art work it great.

Bucko

I’ve got Privateer issue 2 in almost perfect condition, about to go on ebay unless anyone here wants to take it off my hands?

Definitely worth the £9, you have to hold one to feel the weight and the quality of the paper to get an idea, then the standard of photography and lack of adverts seals the deal. I can’t believe that people pay nearly a fiver for mags such as MBUK and MBR just to flick through page after page of adverts and repeat articles from 12 months ago

zippykona

May well give it a go when I go on holiday. Didn’t really look at the contents once I saw the price.

brant
    Free Member

NINE QUID?

DezB
    Free Member

I agree with Brant

mboy
    Free Member

They (TRJ, Rouleur, Privateer) are just way, way better.
    I’m happy to pay the money for them.

Really?

Don’t get me wrong, it’s significantly better than the likes of MBUK and MBR, but personally I flick through it in Smiths and I’m bored within 10 minutes… I find singletrack mag, to which I subscribe, not only a better read but also more interesting, and at the price I pay as a subscriber, much better VFM!

Still if there are people out there willing to pay £9 per mag, fair play to the guys who make it.

hora
    Free Member

😆 +1 cougar

Nine quid. Coffee table niche mag.

MBUK= mulch.
    MBR Isnt readable. Its one toilet-sitting material.

bullheart
    Free Member

but personally I flick through it in Smiths and I’m bored within 10 minutes…

You should be studying.

Bloody students…

😉

highclimber
    Free Member

MBR Isnt readable. Its one toilet-sitting material.

and it’s hardly that!

hora
    Free Member

Iused to like Dirt now along with the thinner paper its also lighter on content over the past few months so I stopped buying it.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Big fan of Privateer and well worth the £9.00.

ski
    Free Member

I had subs copies of STW from 1-55, ended up giving the lot away for free, sure the new owner has been busy reading the old copies.

Privateer subs now, after getting issue 1 free at SSUK, so far I have been very pleased with the content.

Maybe Biff needs to rack up the price of Outcast 😉

muggomagic

I bought the last copy of Privateer mainly because I needed some reading material and it was a choice of £5 for mbr or £9 for privateer. Glad I spent the extra £4 as I’ve enjoyed reading it and looking at all the great pictures. The thing I enjoyed most was that there seemed to be lots more to the stories, I didn’t feel that they were cut short to squeeze them in.

footflaps

I really like the depth of the articles, only 5 or 6 per magazine. Good value for the quality of writing and photography.

zbonty

I flicked through an early one at LBS and was’nt interested-probably saw the price!

I saw the last one with articles about Peat, Nicolai, Wheels etc and enjoyed it all. They had a three issue for £9 offer but i did’nt bother-that would be good though.

The Ride is great too. I buy that and read a few articles now and then. Succinct/varied articles. Good format.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘£9 bike mag.’ is closed to new replies.