Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • High Cup Nick – access to the danger area
  • MadBillMcMad

Did a great walk with my son the other day up to High Cup Nick & have always thought I ought to ride it sometime.

We could here the army playing at soldiers firing some large artillery.

Is there anyway to find out in advance whether the Brook Scar bridleway is closed as I guess it was on Thursday.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Here

Access to public rights of way in the Danger Area every Sunday afternoon after 1pm

Access to public rights of way in the Danger Area for 12 weekends a year. These are detailed in the related link on access times on the right hand side of the page

Access to WTA through a range of guided walks (contact Clare Hetherington on 017683 43227 for further information)

Access to public rights of way in the Danger Area on at least 15 short notice days. Due to their very nature, these dates can not be published very far in advance. However the Warcop freephone access answer machine (0800 7835181) does hold details of the firing programme 7 days in advance and is updated daily

Access to Mickle Fell is available (subject to training, high fire risk etc) on a permit system only. Applications should be sent to the Range Officer, Warcop Training Area, Warcop, Appleby, Cumbria, CA16 6PA

Access to Area Victor (including Murton Pike and Murton Fell) under the CROW Act 2000

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I have done that Bridleway, its good right up to the steeper part at the head of the valley, after that its very boggy until Maize beck,not a route I would reccommend,but the old mine workings are interesting with some info boards along the way.

MadBillMcMad

excellent thanks for that bandito.

There were two MTBers Setting off on Thursday – I wonder if they got diverted.

Would the northern bridleway be a better bet ? I mean the one over Great Dun Fell & Trout Beck.

& if so which would be the better direction ?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Up Great Dun Fell is a good one, its tarmac all the way up. Something like the highest/steepest road in England. But down Troutbeck is miserable eroded, boggy mess.
    When I’ve been up there, I’ve cheekily followed the Pennine Way over Little Dun Fell and Cross Fell (its stone slabs most of the way) to Gregs Hut, then down to Garrigill. Track around Cow Green Reservoir is a good one heading south from Yad Moss to Cauldron Spout. Then along the north side of Maize Beck, crossing to the south side at the new footbridge to spit you out right at the top of The Nick.
    Descent to Dufton is great fun!

MadBillMcMad

excellent – route sorted then

bajsyckel

Route ir_bandito proposes is a good one. I’d vary it slightly going Knock – radar station – Wildboar Scar – Kirkland – then pick up the route at Greg’s Hut. If it’s clear, the arrival at the nick from the east is pretty spectacular and the descent is good too.

I’d be interested to hear more about the one you suggested though if you do a recce.

The troutbeck singletrack always used to be a classic in the right conditions, gently flowing and balanced above the source of the Tees. I’ve heard from a few places (its been a few years since I rode it) that it’s been eroded into near non-useability by irresponsible use in the wet and it would be a real shame if that were confirmed.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

When we first used to ride down Troutbeck from the radar station yonks ago, it was crap. Very eroded, boggy & lots of unrideable bits. Then ‘they’ sorted it & it was rideable all the way down. Has it resorted to it’s former crapness? We’ve not been there for about 3-4 years!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock – I tried to go down there about 3 years ago. Last time I went up, I did the Cross Fell route described above.

bajsyckel – what’s the Wildboar Scar descent like? Is it worth it for the climb back up from Kirkland?

MadBillMcMad

It certainly looks good from a contour/km score.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Its a great area to ride but best done when its been dry for a few days,The Bogtrotters have a good route on there site, although I prefer to ride down the Bridleway to Tyne Head (from High Cup nick)and return over the Peninnes via Greggs hut, from the hut head west onto the higher ridge but keep left and go over the Crossfell summitt towards the radar station, from the stone theres probably one of the highest uninterupted (no gates) descents towards Blencarn village,alongside wildboar scar but its only good in dry or frosty conditions.. 😉
    I did an article on this route with Chipps from the mag last year,cant remember the issue though.. 😥

Ps the troutbeck Bridleway has virtually gone due to the beck flooding onto it,not a route I would recommend.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘High Cup Nick – access to the danger area’ is closed to new replies.