Viewing 11 posts - 161 through 171 (of 171 total)
  • 650B the new 29 er's. Looks like the tides are a changing.
  • chiefgrooveguru

The thing is, for most of those folk the bigger wheel makes a lot of sense. They’re not after flickability, sharp steering or whatever perceived advantage the smaller wheel gives. What they need is a chunky hybrid.

Exactly! Some of us on the other hand may prefer something that behaves a little more like a giant BMX.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I was trying out a 29er for the first time on the Borrowdale bash (Lakes) last week and I was very Impressed with the Orange Gyro and Five 29er.

The ride was so much faster than a 26er and the section down Birkett Leap (Watendlath to Rosthwaite was noticeably easier and overall the bikes were great fun to ride.

Would i buy one? No, I really can’t get on with the look of bigger wheels, and although after riding and appreciating the benefits I do prefer the more involved ride 26in bikes give you.

I really hope manufacturers adopt the 650b 27.5 standard as the bikes still look good and in theory will ride/roll a bit better than a 26in wheel.

scotroutes

Correct, but that’s a tiny proportion of the bike-buying public (let’s not call them all mountain bikers) and that’s why 26″ wheels will eventually become a niche.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Am pleased to report that my green 275 flicks and pops very well once I got used to the long front-centre and short chain stays. The short back end makes it easy to rip out of corners. With 6″ front and back I rode a big boulder trail I’ve never had the balls to ride, without flinching. ” hulk smash!” I need to find some scarier dragons as its one by one slaying all the dragons.

Exactly! Some of us on the other hand may prefer something that behaves a little more like a giant BMX.

Agreed. I will be riding my Sov with big semi slicks at Ashton Court on Saturday. It’s a gas on trails like that.

mattjg
    Free Member

@buzz similar geo on my 29er (HT), fun isn’t ?

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

OK, got a 26er, just got some 2013 Bontrager XR2 team issue 2.2 tyres fitted today, they are very tall(big volume)tyres.Reckon its made my bike a 650b, or near as dam it.

mattjg
    Free Member

Not as big as a 650b with tall tyres.

You are forever inadequate.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

mattjg – Member
    Not as big as a 650b with tall tyres.

You are forever inadequate.

😥

martinxyz
    Free Member

I agree with the comment on coming off 20″ wheels and finding 26″ feeling monstrous. It really does show you how cumbersome they can feel.. without going to 29!

I look forward to the day when we can all look back to 2013 and find these threads where some folk thought that a wheel with a larger radius is going to take over from 26 inch wheels and make everything 26inch hard to find over the next 20 years. It’ll be like 2035.. and it’ll go something like ‘remember Cannondales with 24″ wheels and fat tyres on their DH bikes? only for everyone to realize that 26 was better all along?… then everyone getting the idea that 26″ was going to be taken over by a wheel measuring 12.5mm greater in radius.. kin muppets!’

aracer
    Free Member

Well the North American market is the largest market for performance mountain bikes. The public here seem far more accepting of different standards if they provide a benefit marketing BS

FTFY

mikewsmith
    Free Member

are we still bashing this one out?

If you reckon they are faster and will make you ride like Gwinn buy one. Go be awesome on it an try not to cry when someone on a 26″ HT passes you. In the end it’s about the rider.

Viewing 11 posts - 161 through 171 (of 171 total)

The topic ‘650B the new 29 er's. Looks like the tides are a changing.’ is closed to new replies.