Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • 650b mud tyres?
  • Kahurangi

I’m struggling to find some Enduro ( 😉 ) Mud tyres. Something with decent width, soft compound and good mud-shedding.

I’ve seen Schwalbe Muddy Marys at the usual suspects (CRC/Wiggle for free delivery to NZ) but no stock at the mo.

I haven’t seen any Maxxis (Swamp Thing) in 650b yet.

What have I looked past?

Sancho
    Free Member

maxxis shorty

JoeG
    Free Member

Surely the 650b wheelsize is so vastly superior that tire selection is irrelevant! 😉

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Soon as specialized bring out there 650b tyres there will be the excellent storm control & for a great front tyre there should be the butcher spash’s take on the minion.

Maxxis are soon to stop production of 26 tyres.

Oh and JoeG.. your not far of the mark either, i ran a racing ralph for some winter months on my bronson & it didn’t do to bad.

ratherbeintobago

Maxxis are soon to stop production of 26 tyres.

With all due respect, that sounds a tad dubious. Have you got any evidence to back it up eg. a link?

rOcKeTdOg

2.25 beaver?

didgerman
    Free Member

Muddy Mary looked a good bet for rear. I’m using a mavic charge on the front, no probs at all, through some real gloop.

cultsdave
    Free Member

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/magic-mary-evo-trailstar-ss-tlr-27%2C5-x-2%2C35-103403/wg_id-8913

I bought mine from here. Shame the bike to put them on hasn’t arrived yet!

Northwind

Still a real lack of these tbh, Magic Mary would be my call too but they’re not easy to find. The Onza Ibex finally turned up in 650b, it was a good un in 26 though troublesome for tubeless or so I am told. But basically 650b still isn’t properly supported.

Swampthing not likely to be made in 650b, it was all but discontinued in 26 years ago.

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Don’t need evidence just search the web & speak to the right people in the bike trade

ratherbeintobago

Don’t need evidence

I have searched the web to no avail, and you have made an unsubstantiated statement you haven’t backed up when challenged.

To reiterate, I think it’s extremely unlikely that Maxxis will be ending production of 26″ tyres while there is still a market for these.

cx_monkey

Maxxis stopping production of 26″? That is too funny! They’re not – honestly. In fact new models STILL come out in 26″ first. No need to worry…

variflex
    Free Member

Ive got some mavic 650b tyres on at the moment, and although not mud specific they worked very well a few weeks back in the gloop. Pretty much as good as a spec Purgatory I used on my 29er for grip.

chiefgrooveguru

Magic Mary are very good. I’m running an SG one up front with a Trail King out back, and that pairing works remarkably well in all conditions.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Magic Mary, worth the difficulty in finding them. End of 🙂

daver27
    Free Member

Northwind, the new IBEX from onza is tubeless ready, easiest tyre i have ever set up on stans rims.

and its an ace tyre in 2.4, oodles of grip, if a little heavy

Northwind

That’s a good ‘un then, cheers daver

Kahurangi

Cheers folks, I’ll have a look for the Ibex, and Muddy/Magic Marys, might just have to actually pay the postage for them 🙂

/edit

Just had a look at the Onza Ibex and they look like a near carbon-copy o the High Roller. Given that I’m currently running the HR2, I might keep looking at the ‘mud’ tyres with deeper knobs and wider spacing.

Northwind

I know what you mean but they ride pretty differently to highrollers, the tread’s more open so they clog less, and for whatever reason they just seem to produce a stack more grip in the mud.

daver27
    Free Member

The Ibex is hands down the best tyre I’ve used in 28 years of mtb riding!

yorkycsl
    Free Member

variflex
    Have you got the mavic enduro’s on ? bought a pair but didn’t get time to try them as i work abroad a lot, got Hi rollers on as standard but i bought a nobby nic & ralph when the bike came in from the US, also got a pair of Bonty XR3’s ust light ish and so far quite grippy.

Unsubtantiated my arse get with it either you don’t want to change to 650b cant accpet it’s happening & will take over or can’t afford one, what ever…..
    Bit like Betamax & VHS or DVD Ohhh the thought of change… what next…

ratherbeintobago

Unsubtantiated my arse get with it either you don’t want to change to 650b cant accpet it’s happening & will take over or can’t afford one

And they make the trails come alive too.

FWIW I don’t disagree that 650b is going to take over a large part of the trail/longer travel sector, but your claim about Maxxis remains unsubstantiated, because you still haven’t backed it up with anything other than bluster.

Kahurangi

I know what you mean but they ride pretty differently to highrollers, the tread’s more open so they clog less, and for whatever reason they just seem to produce a stack more grip in the mud.

Might have to see if I can get one then. What compound were you comparing them to? 60a, ST or 3C? I’m also getting very close to ripping some of the side knobs off my HR2’s 😕

Northwind

Supertacky. Though, I’m only really thinking about mud here where I never liked the highrollers- haven’t ridden an ibex in the dry!

Have to say it isn’t as good as a Baron, but then nothing I’ve tried is. But there’s some talk that the Baron’s not going to be done in 650b as it’s not been a big seller (I think maybe it’s a bit UK-specific)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘650b mud tyres?’ is closed to new replies.