Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 214 total)
  • 62 points and still on the road
  • slowoldman

Motorist with 62 penalty points

What do we reckon?
    Genuine case under “hardship” plea?
    Funny handshake?
    Friend of Chief Constable?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Skilled lawyer + weak magistrate?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Something very dodgy, for somebody who appears completely incapable of learning or changing their ways to be allows into a car on a public road seems madness. It just can’t be safe or fair on other road users

sandwicheater

Surprised an insurer have agreed to take them on. That’s assuming their insurers know, they must be paying a pretty penny.

stumpy01

I think they were saying this morning that there are 10,000 people with driving licences in the UK who have 12 points or more.

If the genuine hardship that allows them to keep their licence is that genuine, then these people should understand the importance of staying within the limits to keep their licence.
    I don’t know why with driving, people are allowed to get away with so much….

tlr

Multiple points could be amassed on the same trip, or within a few days so before NIP is issued. Thus no opportunity to amend their ways maybe?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

R4 this morning there was a lawyer on whose line was
    – someone’s insurance could lapse as a complete accident because they failed to update their debit card/direct debit
    – that gets 8 points

Hmmm. Well, the Gov.UK website says that’s 6 points not 8. And they need another 6 points on top of that to actually hit 12.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Multiple points could be amassed on the same trip

Isn’t there or wasn’t there a limit on how many points you can pick up in one trip?

Even if I’m completely wrong about that can’t imagine a magistrate would take a more lenient view of you nicking mars bar from every shop on your way to work than they would single theft a week over six weeks.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As above and in the BBC piece, you could get multiple penalty points from speed cameras and be completely unaware. Personally I think that needs changing.

zanelad
    Free Member

If their livelihood or the welfare of others depends on them having a driving licence then they should drive accordingly.

62 points is taking the piss.

ac282

You could try not breaking the law in the first place.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    As above and in the BBC piece, you could get multiple penalty points from speed cameras and be completely unaware. Personally I think that needs changing.

Yes being unaware you are speeding is Driving without Due care at the very least.

ads678

I’ve been driving since 1995, I’m not going to claim to be some sort of driving god or make out that I stay totally within the law. I think I am just a normal driver, but I take it seriously and don’t drive like a dick.

I have no points on my license and never have.*

I don’t GAS about peoples hardship. If I can manage to drive for 22 years without getting a single point, speeding ticket or ever being stopped by the police others can, they just don’t care!

*Go on tell me I’m orsumz!!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

As above and in the BBC piece, you could get multiple penalty points from speed cameras and be completely unaware

Mobile camera maybe but fixed? They make a hell of a flash which if you didn’t notice you really shouldn’t be driving.

I’d guess the guy in question picked up most of his points from cameras on the m62 because the variable signs weren’t lit so he assumed that meant there was no speed limit he wouldn’t get caught.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

You could try not breaking the law in the first place.

What a stupid thing to say. 🙄

br
    Free Member

Like most court cases, without knowing the actual detail means it’s very difficult to know why they’ve come to (any) answer.

martinhutch

If they introduced shorter bans for fewer points it would be harder to claim your life was in ruins in front of a gullible magistrate. Six points = six weeks without a licence.

nickc

Some points awards are indefensible (you have to plead guilty) such as the insurance example. Without knowing the details it’s impossible to draw a conclusion

franksinatra

I’ve been driving since 1995, I’m not going to claim to be some sort of driving god or make out that I stay totally within the law. I think I am just a normal driver, but I take it seriously and don’t drive like a dick.

How do you make progress?

zanelad
    Free Member

What a stupid thing to say.

Why, what’s so hard about driving within the law? It may be boring, but it’s not hard.

Northwind

If it’s been accumulated over time, I don’t think that’s acceptable- in fact the whole “exceptional hardship” thing strikes me as mostly bullshit, if you desperately need your car to work or live you should drive carefully. But it seems like if you’re a professional driver or you have a special need, it’s almost licence to drive badly.

But if it’s been over a really short time as it could be, it does feel a bit different. They’ve just changed the speed limit near me and I’m sure if there was a speed camera there they’d catch some people doing 29 in a 20 twice a day and they could tot up 60 points before the first NIP arrived… Just to give a silly example.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Why, what’s so hard about driving within the law? It may be boring, but it’s not hard.

Because I’ve yet to meet a single person who has never broken a single law in their entire life. And we don’t get to choose which laws we can or can’t break.
    Ergo it’s a stupid thing to say.

nickc

some points can be awarded without the car being driven.

globalti
    Free Member

I occasionally break traffic laws, same as everybody else. The only times I’ve had points on my licence it’s been thanks to my own stupidity, i.e poor observation and failure to spot revenue cameras.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Tower Bridge was a classic example of that Northwind – they changed it from a 30 to a 20 overnight with no warnings, no signage, etc.
    The only place it was noted was on the City of London website which of course you are expected to visit to ensure you knew they’d changed it.
    Their excuse for not ammending the signage?
    “Listed monument status”
    So 29mph at 5:30am the following day got 4 points and a £240 fine with £40 costs and £10 victim surcharge.
    For 11 vehicles in a convoy going “somewhere”

zanelad
    Free Member

Because I’ve yet to meet a single person who has never broken a single law in their entire life. And we don’t get to choose which laws we can or can’t break.

Of course not, I speed every time I drive the car or ride one of my motorbikes. But if my job depended on it, I’d modify my driving/riding. Luckily it doesn’t. It’d be a pisser if I lost my licence, but not the end of the world for me or my family.

The occasion lapse is understandable, but I cannot see, nor accept that to accumulate 62 points you should be allowed to continue driving.

some points can be awarded without the car being driven.

Whatever they’re awarded for the driver’s action need to change.

sockpuppet

Of course not, I speed every time I drive the car or ride one of my motorbikes.

Please stop doing that

footflaps

Of course not, I speed every time I drive the car or ride one of my motorbikes.

As far as I can see, so do 99.9% of all motorists.

You very very rarely see a car sticking to the 20mph speed limit which applies to 90% of Cambridge roads.

Basically, 99% of motorists intentionally speed every time they get in a car (myself included).

sockpuppet

Basically, 99% of motorists intentionally speed every time they get in a car (myself included).

Please stop doing that too!

bails

Tower Bridge was a classic example of that Northwind – they changed it from a 30 to a 20 overnight with no warnings, no signage, etc.
    The only place it was noted was on the City of London website which of course you are expected to visit to ensure you knew they’d changed it.

Is that true? How can it be a speed limit if there are no signs?

There are signs there now.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

You very very rarely see a car sticking to the 20mph speed limit which applies to 90% of Cambridge roads.

As noted yesterday I, briefly, followed an Octavia doing 50mph in the middle lane of the M56 (70mph limit). I imagine it was a speed that was comfortable enough for him to read the emails (or whatever it was that he was reading) on his phone!
    He probably hates speeders too.
    #SelfAware

cynic-al
    Free Member

Would be interesting to hear the facts rather than speculation

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Would be interesting to hear the facts rather than speculation

No it wouldn’t, they’ll (possibly) be dull and require zero pitchforks.

zanelad
    Free Member

Please stop doing that

No.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

As above and in the BBC piece, you could get multiple penalty points from speed cameras and be completely unaware.

As someone who’s managed to drive for nearly 30 years and never pick up a speeding ticket I’m not convinced that anyone who even vaguely attempts to drive within the speed limit would manage this. If, on the other hand, you’re someone who habitually speeds and only obeys speed limits when they think theres a camera present maybe – but those are the sort of drivers we should be taking off the roads.

nickc

simons, you can get points on your licence for (among other things)

not having insurance, not responding to summons, failure to inform…

It’s not all about speeding.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

from having sat in court when such cases have been heard it’s gullible and weak magistrates. In practice “Exceptional circumstances” = claiming to need to drive to keep your job. Even if you don’t have a full licence anyway because you never took or passed a test, and your job is a cash-in-hand farm labourer because you’re actually claiming benefits and are registered as unemployed, and you live half a mile from the farm. Here, have another 6 points on the licence you don’t hold.

Magistrates as a rule will believe any old sh1t that’s put in front of them when it comes to mitigation, I’ve lost count of the number of criminals who are ‘carers’ and I’ve never seen or heard of a mag asking for any form of corroboration for any such claim.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Yes Bails – I was one of the drivers who had to attend court!
    They changed the signage almost 2 months later!
    In fact on the day of the court the signage still had not been changed and the Magistrate bought the City to task over it as they were only going to put Gateways and no repeaters up for the average scameras.
    We didn’t get leeway though as “in our capacity as officers of the court we should be fully aware” – one appointed civilian, 9 police officers and one HCEO all hit the same.
    This was back in Oct 2007.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

not having insurance, not responding to summons, failure to inform…

It’s not all about speeding.
    yep all good reasons not let somebody back on the road….

kerley
    Free Member

Not sure if 99% but it is certainly a very high %.

If I get caught for a burglary can I claim that time in prison will have a negative impact on my life so I should be let off…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 214 total)

The topic ‘62 points and still on the road’ is closed to new replies.