Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 214 total)
  • 62 points and still on the road
  • funkmasterp

Thanks Cougar. What you are saying is completely right and I’ve just been putting it across badly. Speed just makes a bad situation a lot worse. Combine it with overall poor driving and you have a recipe for disaster.

I couldn’t talk about or deal with what happened for a long time. It’s been twelve years now and time makes it easier to talk about it. Still upsets me though and hits hard at times. When my son was born three years ago I actually went to ring my big brother. Stopped me dead in my tracks.

I’ll never forget having the Dr explain to the family that my brother was basically brain dead. My mother and older sister were hysterical. It basically came down to me and my estranged father, a man who I’ve never agreed with on anything, to make the decision to turn the machines off. What happens when you do that is not pretty. Sitting in a corridor holding a nine year old boy and trying to explain to him what’s happening to his dad is something I wouldn’t wish on anyone.

I’m the only member of my family that holds no ill will towards the car driver. I think they all needed someone to blame whereas I just wanted my brother back. It’s sad because he was the only member of my family I was close to. Luckily I’d just moved back to West Yorkshire the week before it happened and spent some time with him for the first time in years. I’ll always be grateful for that.

The missus and I moved back to Cheshire not long after. Too many memories in my home town and I wasn’t coping with grief too well. Mrs Funkmaster retrained as a driving and then advanced driving instructor partly because of what happened. She’s very idealistic and figured she could play a small part by trying to teach people how to drive to a better standard.

The worst fallout was my mother, who’s never really recovered. She had my brother when she was 14 in the 60’s and had to fight to keep my Grandparents from raising him as their own. Her house is basically a shrine to him and I don’t think that’s healthy. My brothers daughter is a mess still in her twenties. He was her rock and that got ripped away from her when she was 14.

Sorry to ramble on. I just wish some people would realise how dangerous cars can be and treat them with caution and respect.

highlandman
    Free Member

Funk, thank you for the frank, open and detailed explanation of the damage caused by one bad driver’s selfish attitude to what should always be seen as a responsible task.

Quoting the Dundee Courier today:
    “New figures reveal that the number of people injured in accidents on the A9 has dropped by 37% since average speed cameras were introduced.”

Cameras help cut A9 casualties by 37%

aracer
    Free Member

Thanks for being so open, funk, anything else I can say seems trite now.

But I used to be one of those saying it is a waste of time concentrating on speed when they should be catching the bad driving. Not that I ever speeded in 30 limits, though I’ve been caught in a 50 and a 70 limit. However whilst I still have my reservations – though that is still more directed towards the limits and enforcement on higher limited roads, I still have a theory that having limits too low on safer roads leads to disrespect for speed limits in general, leads to people speeding in 30 limits – I am now totally happy with speed enforcement in general. Yes, it is just something easy to do, but it’s better than nothing. I’ve also slowed down even on higher limit roads and try not to be in as much of a hurry. Would rather be a bit late than drive dangerously.

I also wonder if it’s analogous to the West Mids Police close passing cyclists initiative. In their spiel for that they point out that most accidents and deaths are caused at junctions, yet that’s not what they’re enforcing because it would be too difficult. Yet we’re all happy with what they are enforcing because not only is it something which makes us feel unsafe, it also has a knock on effect on promoting safety around cyclists in general. In a similar sense, at least getting people to stick to one rule for driving might help them stick to others.

sockpuppet

zanelad wrote:

Sometimes speed is the only reason for the journey. I’m not going anywhere specific, just out for a blast. If you think I’m going to stop just because of your views you need a wake up call.

I don’t need a wake up call: I don’t think will will stop.

I do think you SHOULD stop though, and it’s a reasoned and heartfelt opinion.

I have some other opinions too, but it would be unseemly too post them here.

molgrips
    Free Member

Speed clearly makes an accident worse but is not the cause of the accident.

It often is.

People expect other traffic to behave a certain way. This is a crucial part of how we drive and how our roads are designed. If another road user is going twice as fast as everyone expects, this is going to cause accidents.

When you want to overtake a slow moving vehicle on a single carriageway road, you see a gap, you think ok that’s enough space, and you go. If someone comes screaming around the corner at 100mph, suddenly you have far less space than if someone came at 60.

There are many junctions where you can’t see a long way. So you wait for it to be clear, then you go. Just as you go, a car appears. If that car is doing 50 then you have time to accelerate and there’s no issue. If it’s doing 90, they have to slam on and there’s a risky situation.

Speed CREATES risks. It increases the potential collision radius.

molgrips
    Free Member

There are too many drivers out there who think they’re safe because they don’t speed.

Really? Where’s your evidence? Other than the guesswork and interpolation in your post?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Really? Where’s your evidence? Other than the guesswork and interpolation in your post?

Do you not read these threads fully? 😛

Peyote
    Free Member

There are many junctions where you can’t see a long way. So you wait for it to be clear, then you go. Just as you go, a car appears. If that car is doing 50 then you have time to accelerate and there’s no issue. If it’s doing 90, they have to slam on and there’s a risky situation.

This is true, most junctions/accesses etc. are designed according to “Stopping Sight Distance”, a calculation based on the speed of a typical vehicle, combined with reaction time and braking force. Go faster than this and the risks increase.

matt_outandabout

If anyone has not read funkmasterp’s last post, please go back and read it.

Cougar

So you wait for it to be clear, then you go. Just as you go, a car appears. If that car is doing 50 then you have time to accelerate and there’s no issue. If it’s doing 90, they have to slam on and there’s a risky situation.

In the unlikely event that I’ve misjudged such a manoeuvre as you describe, I’d abort and drop back in where I came from. Just because you start an overtake there’s no reason you have to complete it. For this reason, I won’t overtake if there’s someone right behind me, in case they close the gap after I’ve set off.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’m not convinced that speed is as causal as you’re asserting;

At the extreme end stationary bodies do not collide with each other things so speed [ or movement]is always the cause- without it there can be no crashes. Realistically the question is what else contributed to the accident /exacerbated this risk of speed and these are often considered the cause.

molgrips
    Free Member

In the unlikely event that I’ve misjudged such a manoeuvre as you describe

How can you misjudge what is invisible?

molgrips
    Free Member

Do you not read these threads fully?

Care to cite something?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Care to cite something?

No!

shifter
    Free Member

I bet you guys are a hoot to ride and/or drink with.

funkmasterp

I bet you guys are a hoot to ride and/or drink with.

😀 as long as nobody mentions speeding, or politics or coffee, whether or not it’s okay to burn wood, or what type of tyres, or posting poo through letterboxes I reckon it would be okay

Edit – and don’t mention religion either

hammyuk
    Free Member

Someone mentioned the war in another thread but I think they got away with it…..

Cougar

How can I hit what is invisible?

funkmasterp

It’s taking a philosophical turn in here.

scaredypants

you mean other than a cyclist, right? – that happens all the time

aracer
    Free Member

Indeed, which is why it’s perfectly safe to ignore double white lines as long as you can’t see anything coming the other way.

Cougar

Sure, that’s exactly what I meant.

If I was overtaking something I’d do it where I believed it was safe to do so. Crossing solid white lines clearly isn’t such a case.

The situation posed was going for an overtake and then an oncoming vehicle appearing in view going faster than expected. In which case, as I said, I’d abort the manoeuvre.

Contrary to popular belief, hazards don’t “come out of nowhere,” ever. Bikes do not teleport into your path, cars are not invisible.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

The reason there is so much focus on speed..

Is that it’s one of the easiest ways to reduce RTC’s & improve road safety.

Hoist that concept on board & you’ll begin to understand why the emphasis!

Cougar

Of course. I’d just rather they focused on the most effective way rather than solely on the easiest.

molgrips
    Free Member

The situation posed was going for an overtake and then an oncoming vehicle appearing in view going faster than expected. In which case, as I said, I’d abort the manoeuvre.

That could cause all sorts of havoc. Especially if the thing you are overtaking also brakes because he sees the imminent collision.

Anyway – what about the other scenario? Or are you asserting that speed never causes an accident? My general principle is that by going fast, you are behaving unexpectedly in a way that introduces greater risk.

I’d just rather they focused on the most effective way

And that is?

Incidentally, I wonder why you know so much more about road accidents than the police? I wonder what would happen if they came around your workplace and started telling you about network security?

kerley
    Free Member

The reason there is so much focus on speed..

What is actual the reduction and improvement based directly on speed ?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Incidentally, I wonder why you know so much more about road accidents than the police? I wonder what would happen if they came around your workplace and started telling you about network security?

Are we assuming they’re implimenting road safety policies based on unlimited budgets, or policies which are the cheapest and easiest to get through due to limited budgets?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

What is actual the reduction and improvement based directly on speed ?

I couldnt tell you – all I know is its the most cost effective way of improving road safety.

There are other ways but are they as cost-effective?

After all, cash is king…..rightly or wrongly!

squirrelking
    Free Member

Again, the usual Brake advocates failing to understand the difference between breaking a speed limit and inappropriate speed within said limit. It’s not difficult, if you are travelling faster than a speed where you can safely stop in the event of a stationary object entering your path or safely negotiate a bend you are going too fast.

Everything else is semantics.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Again, the usual Brake advocates failing to understand the difference between breaking a speed limit and inappropriate speed within said limit. It’s not difficult, if you are travelling faster than a speed where you can safely stop in the event of a stationary object entering your path or safely negotiate a bend you are going too fast.

Sorry, is that in a 10 year old 1.1 Corsa or a 2017 Porsche 911? ‘Cos obviously they’re the same. 😛

trout
    Free Member

which model of human is driving said corsa or porsche

molgrips
    Free Member

Again, the usual Brake advocates failing to understand the difference between breaking a speed limit and inappropriate speed within said limit.

You what?

Are we assuming they’re implimenting road safety policies based on unlimited budgets, or policies which are the cheapest and easiest to get through due to limited budgets?

Well given that they have a limited budget, and will always have a limited budget, I imagine that’s what’s being discussed. This being the real world and everything.

nealglover
    Free Member

if you are travelling faster than a speed where you can safely stop in the event of a stationary object entering your path …. you are going too fast

Which particular part of my path is the stationary object going to be appearing in ?

Half a mile away. No worries. 155mph.
    Six foot away…. could be an issue at more than 1mph.

I think your simple explanation may need some tweaking.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Well given that they have a limited budget, and will always have a limited budget, I imagine that’s what’s being discussed. This being the real world and everything.

So they’re not actually the best positioned to determine road safety policies, as you claimed, due to budgetary constraints.

molgrips
    Free Member

So they’re not actually the best positioned to determine road safety policies, as you claimed, due to budgetary constraints

Not sure how you arrived at that.

This is no longer productive.

Keep your **** speed down and watch what the **** you’re doing. End of thread.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Just pushing this to test the theory behind it and your assumption that Cougar has less money than plod. And seeing how you responding to justifying the minutiae.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have no appetite for the minutiae. There’s a general point somewhere that you don’t seem to care about in favour of nit picking.

Speeders like to speed, which is fair enough. It’s great fun. But because a lot of people are shit at driving, there are speed limits. Rules that apply to everyone.

It’s that simple. Suck it up. There’s no point going on about other kinds of bad driving – no-one’s excusing any of that or suggesting it’s not important.

Anything else in this argument is *irrelevant*.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

😆

Cougar

Just pushing this to test the theory behind it and your assumption that Cougar has less money than plod.

That wouldn’t be difficult. Lend me a tenner?

Cougar

because a lot of people are shit at driving, there are speed limits.

Pretty much the point I’ve been making TBH.

Surely the solution here is “make people less shit”? If you’re shit at driving, the solution isn’t speed limits, the solution is to learn or to not be allowed drive.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 214 total)

The topic ‘62 points and still on the road’ is closed to new replies.