Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • 6 foot 5 inch riders … what full-susser works for you?
  • poey50
    Free Member

I’m 14 stones in my gear, riding mainly at trail centres and enjoying uplifts at Forest of Dean, BPW and Antur Stiniog and beginning to feel a bit under-biked on my 130mm travel Radon Slide 29er as my skills creep up. I’m thinking 650b for the next bike which maybe limits the range given my height. What do you ride?

nemesis
    Free Member

Barney from the mag is that height…

(As am I but I kept breaking FS bikes so I’m sticking with hardtails – 29ers which allows for 29er or B+ wheels)

Gotama
    Free Member

Not sure if this helps/answers your question but i’m just over 6ft 3, 15 stone and ride a Banshee Prime so it’s sticking with 29er. Prefer them to the smaller wheel. The XL will easily fit you (have a look on mtbr in the banshee forum as there’s a few 6ft 5 riders on there), it’s more than capable at hammering down any of the places mentioned in your post and its a really burly frame so there’s no flex at all.

warns74
    Free Member

6’5″, 14.5 stone, XL Stumpjumper FSR 29er. Probably the best all-round bike Ive ever owned.

v666ern
    Free Member

If you know it fits…another Radon?

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/radon-slide-carbon-160-27%2C5-9.0-hd-464429/wg_id-7251

Edit – Im @ FOD on sunday with an XL rose uncle jimbo if you want to throw your leg over that? (6′ & 14 stone FWIW)

br
    Free Member

While height is important, leg length (and reach) are probably more relevant.

One of the guys I ride with is 6’4″ and rides a 650B Cube Stereo (which also fits me, who while shorter, has longer legs).

I’ve an older Stereo and they both ride well.

longmover
    Free Member

I’m 6’7″ and just over 15 stone, I have just got a Cannondale Trigger in XL and it fits me well.

poey50
    Free Member

While height is important, leg length (and reach) are probably more relevant.

36″ inside leg.

Thanks for the suggestions so far .. keep them coming.

ajr
    Free Member

Ventana El Capitan or a custom size Zeus.

longmover
    Free Member

I have a 38″ inside leg, with a 430 mm reverb stealth on the minimum insert an the Trigger fits well

batman11
    Free Member

Also look at the bird Aries full sus frames the xl is proper big and long should fit you ok I’d have said.

daver27
    Free Member

Mondraker Dune RR here in XL. the froward Geo is great for us Lanky beasts

barney
    Free Member

Hiya! *waves*

I’m only 6’4″ though I’m afraid. 35″ inside leg – and 14 stone is my goal weight 🙂

Bird Aeris seems to tick all the right boxes, and the brief play I’ve had was pretty positive. Stumpy is a good shape, so I expect great things from the Enduro. Trigger looks good, too, but I’ve yet to spend any time on one. But the one I’d really want to play with if I were you is a Mondraker.

Seriously, give some of the more gnar 29ers a chance – they may surprise you, and it’ll open up another world of indecision. My personal bike is a Tallboy LT with an angleset – it’s a better bike than I am a rider 😉

nemesis
    Free Member

You must have shrunk barney (or I’m only 6’4″ and that’s too awful an idea to consider 😉 )

warns74
    Free Member

[sorry for the hijack / sales pitch, but….]

If any of you taller gents are interested in a custom spec XL carbon stumpy FSR 29er then feel free to drop me an email. I have an opportunity for a change coming up and might be letting mine go. Happy to provide spec/details.

poey50
    Free Member

That Mondraker Dune RR made me drool. Anyone of my height ride a YT Industries Capra?

thecaptain
    Free Member

Tandem 🙂

warns74
    Free Member

Anyone of my height ride a YT Industries Capra?

Seen this?

YT Industries Capra AL1 (2015) review (VIDEO)

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

6’5″ 220lbs ave weight

XL Knolly Chilcotin

poey50
    Free Member

Seen this?

http://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/27-5-full-suspension-bikes/yt-industries-capra-al1-2015-review-video

Yes, that’s top of my list but I’d like to hear from any other tall riders who own one.

nemesis
    Free Member

A mate of mine is taller than you and has the XL Capra. Loves it.

bigwill
    Free Member

6ft 5, 215lbs and an xl yeti sb6, it’s the first bike I’ve ever run a 35mm stem on and felt comfortable

maccruiskeen

6’6″ / 36″ inside leg and another vote for the Banshee Prime

willard

197cm tall and 87 kilos (metric, I know, sucks…) and chose an XL Stumpy FSR with 26″ wheels.

I love it. If I had to choose another bike, I may go for the same but in 650b, but there are so many other nice bikes that i would want to try first.

poey50
    Free Member

Fantastic suggestions … some I’ve never considered. Many thanks. 🙂

Olly
    Free Member

6’4″

Ive been through a few 26″ bikes trying to get the balance of tall enough to ride, without being lanky.
    Failed

Orange Five29 is the first bike ive had that really feels like it fits.

I hate how tall bikes look, this just looks and feels like an 18″ “normal” bike, just bigger. (mine is 21″)

First bike ive had where i’m behind the bars not sitting on top of them.

Makes average sized people look like hobbits when they try and ride it 🙂

davosaurusrex

Seen the new Canfield Riot 140mm 29er? Looks great but not cheap

sweaman2
    Free Member

It might be a bit “new school” but a friend who is in the same general height / weight as just switched from an XL Trek Remedy to a Salsa Pony Rustler and loves it.

Edit: Should add he makes a habit of breaking frames so can’t comment on longevity just yet.

JEngledow
    Free Member

I’m 6’5″ and am currently loving my XL Nukeproof Mega

poey50
    Free Member

Orange Five29 is the first bike ive had that really feels like it fits.

I hate how tall bikes look, this just looks and feels like an 18″ “normal” bike, just bigger. (mine is 21″)

First bike ive had where i’m behind the bars not sitting on top of them.

I’m liking the sound of that … it’s on my short-list. 😀

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I think that a Transition Smuggler in XL would be good but obviously still 29er.

Depending on budget the Mojo Geometron might be worth a look – reach certainly won’t be a problem….

Slightly cheaper but still looong would be the Mondrakers from the last year or 2?

hora
    Free Member

Evening 6ft7…faaaaack!!

I was about to post that 6ft4 is only 2.3inch taller than me and I ride (happily) a medium Commencal AM V4.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

6’5″
    I’m running a XL pivot m6 and an XL transition bandit
    They seem to work well enough for me.

josh145
    Free Member

On one codeine 29er, best fitting bike I’ve had.
    I’m 6’4

chestrockwell

My mate is your height, has 3+St on you and rides pretty hard. He loves his Xl Spesh Camber Evo.

kudos100
    Free Member

6’3, but all legs and arms. Bird aeris XL. First bike that actually fits me properly.

lex666

XL Salsa horsethief

Mantastic
    Free Member

You need an XL pugsley, just so happens I know where to get one (email in profile)

willstaffs
    Free Member

I am just under 6ft 5″ and 15 stone and ride an XL Giant Trance 2015, fits perfectly!

bigh
    Free Member

6ft 4 here with 36 inside leg. Had a Turner sultan 29 which fits perfectly but wanted moar bounce so went for a xl Niner Wfo and loving it. FOD based if you want to sit on it for sizing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘6 foot 5 inch riders … what full-susser works for you?’ is closed to new replies.