Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 5y at ski school
  • Earl
    Free Member

My 5y is off to ski school – absolute beginner. 2hours/day for 6 days.

How fast so they progress?

Will is she likely to need a ski pass for the whole 6 days or can i get away a 3 day pass at the end of the week?

Crell
    Free Member

Very. Better than you’ll ever be in 24 hours 🙂

Kids that age normally don’t need a pass – but it’s resort specific. Check the resort itself.

bren2709

Ok then how early can you start young ones off skiing?
    Thinking about going next year when little one is 3?

Crell
    Free Member

My daughter started at 3 and my son 5. At three it’s more play anyway. As long as they’re having fun it’s great. 3 is generally too young for ski school so a private lesson won’t go wrong.

Crell
    Free Member

<proud dad> To give you an idea, this was her age 4, just in to her second week skiing </proud dad>

Pink camo was all the rage then apparently 🙂 I suppose i should add that she can turn as well!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-Eihz7CRvU[/video]

thekingisdead
    Free Member

‘kin ell Crell, that’s awesome!!!!!

Off to St. Anton on Sunday, can’t wait

JohnnyPanic

Crell – teriffic. No fear at that age 😀

sweaman2
    Free Member

I’d check before you buy a pass. If you’re in a ski school and complete beginners they might just start on the learner slope which could be free / cheaper than a full pass.

But… I know 5 year olds who are happy skiing the mountain; not within their first week mind but pretty quickly.. and 8 year olds that I struggle to follow through the trees 8)(short skis are an advanatage sometimes)

As above 3 years old is probably too young for a ski school but if you’re patient etc then they can have fun!!

Earl
    Free Member

Crell – holy sh*t.
    I’ve been told the ski school (chatel area) has a magic carpet but im not sure if she will be good enough to actually go up lifts at the end of the week considering it’s only 2 hours a day

higgo
    Free Member

Crell – that video reminds me of one of my daughters… our kids are now 8yo triplet, one (boy) likes to mess about looking for bumps etc, another (girl) likes to do nice controlled curves. Other girl likes to head straight down the fall line as fast as poss. This is her (aged 5) in Claviere, third ski trip….

I_Ache
    Free Member

We went to Morzine a few weeks back and both my kids (2 and 4) went to Piou Piou at ESF its like nursery but they have an outdoor bit at the bottom of pleney. They had to have skis boots and a helmet and they do spend quite a lot of time outdoors, by the end of the first day they could both plow down the shallow slope in control. By the end of the week our eldest was starting to do plow turns.

They are supposed to be 3 to go to Piou Piou but we told them our youngest was 3 as she is tall and they just accepted it.

In my class there was a couple who had their kids in the class above my eldest and by the end of the week they were doing the same runs as their parents. Probably with a bit more confidence.

Crell
    Free Member

Thanks, she’s 7 now and I can’t keep up with her or her older brother in the trees and they both have an unhealthy habit of finding the jumps now.

Earl, we couldn’t prise my daughter off the carpet during the week. She loved it. As I said, check the resort as a lot don’t need passes for kids @5 so you could get away with it. She spent lots of time sledging and just generally messing about in the snow. Best advice I can give is just to go with what she wants to do. Although the lessons are 2 hrs, we (esp my wife) spent a lot of time just getting her confidence up on the skis using the carpet.

I personally wouldn’t bother with the pass till you see how she’s getting on and whether she likes it – just buy in resort. At 3 I had to take my daughter to the top of the hill and bring her down a long blue on my poles – her idea! My thighs haven’t felt pain like that since :-). In that resort though kids were free.

Best news of the day is we’ve just got a last minute deal so off to Arinsal tomorrow! 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘5y at ski school’ is closed to new replies.