Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 5mm difference in crank arm lengths – hack bike question
  • Netdonkey

Building up a hack bike and have a RH 175mm crank arm and a 170mm LH crank arm in the box of bits.

What do you reckon? a goer or a back wrecker?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

My mate ran a 170mm and a 175mm XTR crank for ages before he realised (I think he’d bought them second hand). Didn’t seem to slow him down although he does walk lop sided now 8)

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Madness You’ll go round in circles

cloudnine
    Free Member

Find a skinny flat pedal and a thicker one.. solved.

kcal

I had that on a bike for a while before I noticed, pick up an equal length crank off classifieds when you can, it’s no big deal 🙂

julianwilson
    Free Member

Find a skinny flat pedal and a thicker one.. solved.

Only of you swap them over at the top and bottom of each pedal stroke. One fatter pedal will make the shorter crank effectively a few mm longer at the top of the stroke, and then same distance shorter at the bottom.

iirc it was simonfbarnes who also said he had mismatched crank lengths on his bike for ages and only noticed when there was a thread on here about it.

mrs had a secondhand cranks on a frame she bought, with one arm bent inwards about 10mm, she said that was dead weird to pedal as the pedal itself sort of rocked up and down/in and out as the crank went round. She still rode them for a bit though, straight-but-shorter can’t be any worse than that can it?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘5mm difference in crank arm lengths – hack bike question’ is closed to new replies.