Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • The Floods: "African Union: We cannot ignore the plight of Berkshire any longer"
  • weeksy

yeah hysterical that. I’ll just pop outside my door, oh… i can’t… it’s sealed with waterproof ply, sealant and 30+ sandbags… oh yeah… proper amusing that mate. nice.

peterfile
    Free Member

I think it’s taking the piss out of the Daily Fail’s campaign to draw money from african nations on the basis that we need it more here.

kimbers

I thought this was good too

Mail demands foreign aid to be spent on replacing British carpets

its not meant as a dig at weeksey and flooded folk in the UK, its about the casual xenophobia and cheap political point scoring of UKIP and the Mail

GrahamS

How awful for you weeksy. How many of your children has the flood claimed so far? Do you think any of your family will survive?

I suppose we can be thankful that at least you still have internet access. 😉

Seriously. Your situation must absolutely suck, but as kimbers says it’s more a dig at the DM/UKIP and its warped sense of perspective. Sorry if it offends you.

footflaps

Made me laugh anyway:

Professor Henry Brubaker, from the Institute for Studies, said: “People who don’t have flood insurance either didn’t ask for it, which is mentally defective, or were denied it, which should have caused the first faint stirrings of something being amiss.

“If we are going to use some foreign aid money, perhaps we could make a film about how not to buy a house on flood plain.

“It’ll be called How Not to Buy a House on a Flood Plain, it will be 10 seconds long and consist of me holding up a piece of cardboard on which I will have written ‘don’t buy a house on a flood plain’.”

He added: “Meanwhile, you can still do your bit for Britain. If you meet someone today who has signed the Mail’s petition, try your very best to urinate on their legs.”

mikewsmith
    Free Member

, ‘For just £159, a Sudanese farmer can give an IT consultant from Surrey a pair of Endura Stocking Foot Protectors. That’s just four months wages to remove dampness from someone’s life’.

Meanwhile Syria’s Assad today announced a cease-fire in his nation’s multi-sided civil war to allow for ‘a whip round’ for Britons who have lost their second homes.

and yes if your complaining about stuff on the internet then it’s not that bad really in the list of global disasters.

peterfile
    Free Member

i had a wee chuckle at that too footflaps 😆

Jamie
    Free Member

yeah hysterical that. I’ll just pop outside my door, oh… i can’t… it’s sealed with waterproof ply, sealant and 30+ sandbags… oh yeah… proper amusing that mate. nice.

Call it a hunch, but I don’t think weeksy does find this amusing.

tomhoward

Jamie, earlier today…

Jamie
    Free Member

Even though you messed up the pic, I guessed it was Columbo.

I’m that good.

…oh, and just one more question.

RichPenny
    Free Member

awful for you weeksy. How many of your children has the flood claimed so far? Do you think any of your family will survive?

As I remember, it has undermined an impending house sale. Whilst not life threatening, it is pretty disruptive. If his house does flood, he could be disrupted for months. Nothing wrong with the initial gag, but once you’ve seen someone is upset maybe give it a rest?

GrahamS

I thought rest was given on my final line, where I conceded that his “situation must absolutely suck” and I apologised for any offence.

That wasn’t really the thrust of the gag. So again, sorry if it offended.

zippykona

How do we know Weeksy isn’t a refugee from Sudan?
    How many points does he have to score on the PCometer before we show the poor bastard a bit of sympathy.

kimbers

I feel terrible for weeksy it must be incredibly stressful to have to deal with it

however the fact that the Mail and UKIP are using the plight of him and others to further their own agendas is extremely distateful

franksinatra

I seriously want a job at the Institute of Studies, I like the cut of their jib.

franksinatra

Aaarghhhhhhh, IMMIGRANT OVER THERE!. Burn Him!!!!!!!!!

bigjim

If we are going to use some foreign aid money, perhaps we could make a film about how not to buy a house on flood plain.

First sensible thing I’ve read about the floods in the media, and it is on the daily mash 😆

globalti
    Free Member

Sudanese people can’t send aid because according to one customer I spoke with this morning the entire Sudanese nation is hysterical with laughter right now at the antics of the Ethiopian Airways co-pilot.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I thought rest was given on my final line

It was. Just that the first two sentences of that post made you appear to be a goady tosser with no actual sympathy. Not sure you really managed to cancel it out with the half hearted apology.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Well granted he lacks your charm and respect for his fellow humans

No one is saying his problems are not real what they are saying is that others suffer worse issues overseas

Would you like to dispute this or just insult someone for being “insensitive” [ oh the irnoning].

FWIW I though that the Birtish were know for retaining their sense of humour in times of crisis…I know I try to

You either find the article amusing and making a good point or you do not
    I dont think anyone is trying to mock the flood victims

GrahamS

It was. Just that the first two sentences of that post made you appear to be a goady tosser with no actual sympathy. Not sure you really managed to cancel it out with the half hearted apology.

Okay then, to be clear, I have every actual sympathy for weeksy and flood victims. Their situation sucks.

But I have no sympathy at all for the public petition to withdraw money from overseas aid based on the barely-concealed xenophobic notion that we, as one of the richest countries in the world, shouldn’t be providing basic life-saving humanitarian aid to johnny foreigners when there are nice people here who, in your own words, “could be disrupted for months”.

That is the viewpoint which, I hope, the article satirises.
    And that I don’t apologise for.

unklehomered
    Free Member

😆

#returns to STW after a 6 month absence#

Ahhhhh, ’twas ever thus…

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Without the overseas aid money Harrods will go bust, causing more misery and strife !

CountZero

globalti – Member
    Sudanese people can’t send aid because according to one customer I spoke with this morning the entire Sudanese nation is hysterical with laughter right now at the antics of the Ethiopian Airways co-pilot.

😆

fasthaggis

Checks STW clock settings 😉

DezB
    Free Member

So I’ve read the thread before clicking on the OP’s link. Not sure what to do now.

DezB
    Free Member

Ah, I get it. Weeksy obviously posted before clicking the link too.

D0NK

unklehomered – Member

[url=http://singletrackworld.com/forum/profile/unklehomered]artistic licence?[/url]
    😉

RustySpanner

franksinatra – Member

Aaarghhhhhhh, IMMIGRANT OVER THERE!. Burn Him!!!!!!!!!

It’d take ages to dry him out.

spawnofyorkshire

It’d take ages to dry him out.

😀

footflaps

Even less sympathy in the letters page of the Guardian:

weeksy

DezB – Member
    Ah, I get it. Weeksy obviously posted before clicking the link too

I get the joke, i see where it’s coming from. I’m usually all up for a bit of humor and amusement at sometihng a bit close to the edge…

But the fact that i’m still having this nightmare is truely destroying my soul. Yesterday we had 30 mins of hard rain in the morning, which then once again brings the floods, it brings masses of water gushing towards my property. It then bring phone call after phone call after email after phone call to get someone to get the hell out here to start pumping it. (Yes, if it reaches danger levels we’ll address it ourselves as we’re still hiring 2 pumps at our own cost of £300 a week each !)…. Eventually the local MP sends an email to someone and then people get up and turn up…. drop the level of water again over the next 4 hours with a pump the size of a Corsa, then we’re back to watching it fill slowly, drop slowly… until tonight… where it’s going to rain all night, i’ve then got to make the decision as to whether to wake up the whole village with the pumps, or wait to see if anyone comes out to pump with the Corsa (which is quieter)… While all this is going on i’m supposed to have a job i go to, but can’t… i’m supposed to have a wife and a 5 year old i spend time with. I’m supposed to have a life… currently.. i wake up and deal with flood stuff, go to bed and dream about flood stuff… and repeat.

officialtob
    Free Member

Surely as one of the richest countries in the world we can afford to provide aid (where necessary) to the flood victims AND continue the overseas aid? Why one or the other?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

why one or the other? It’s the daily racist who need to appeal to the core voter.

wwaswas

Why one or the other?

because it suits members of certain political parties to pretend that we cannot afford both.

they get be seen to be suggesting that their core voters are being hard done by as a result of giving help to foreigners.

All the figures I’ve seen for clean up/pumping costs have been trivial in the scheme of things. We probably spent more on bombs in the first day of the last Iraq war than has been spent on sorting out the floods.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and just to check as I am on the other side of the world, there are no bodies in the streets, families wandering round looking for swept away relatives, cholera outbreak or any of that yet and most of the costs will be covered by insurance?

anagallis_arvensis

Satire is alway going to upset someone!

crankrider
    Free Member

Weeksy, has your house flooded or are are you in a position where it will if you are not pro-active with the pumps?

It must be total hell protecting your property from being messed up but there is always somebody in a position worse than your own, like where the house has already been totally destroyed by flood water – Doesn’t make it any better I know but maybe you can at least feel lucky to be holding out (if you are, if not apologies and good luck with the clean-up)

I do love our press and political system, any excuse for blame throwing etc.

me and the OH where on holiday when the last floods came (the flash floods of summer that were pretty severe) – I remember it being on the news abroad quickly followed by the floods in another country where a suspected 2000 were dead and an entire town was without shelter, food, electricity etc, kind of put things into perspective!

weeksy

crankrider – Member
    Weeksy, has your house flooded or are are you in a position where it will if you are not pro-active with the pumps?

It has not flooded… not a drop… and i won’t let it flood 🙂

It would have flooded though yes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘The Floods: "African Union: We cannot ignore the plight of Berkshire any longer"’ is closed to new replies.