• This topic has 44 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • 5″ travel with no ‘baggage’
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

My 2005 S-Works Stumpjumper is about to be retired on medical grounds 🙂
    I have no idea what to replace it with and so would welcome help

In a nutshell I love how the stumpie flies cross country and up hills, yet also does a fair impression of a DH bike when I try and chase my nutty boy mates on the descents

I am naturally not a show-offy kind of person and so I also like how it looks like a pile of cr4p in its lovely(!!!) specialized brown colour

Now I am rapidly approaching 40 I dont want to be seen on a saddo mid life crisis bike such as a shiny Blur LT2 or a team colours 575
    (Apologies to all 40 year olds riding the above)

On the other hand I also like the idea of my bike saying to other riders in the know that Im a member of the in crowd not someone whos handed over a huge pile of cash at Halfords or Stif LOL

So what do you reckon?

What cred XC frame or bike says “nice one” not “tosser?”

Cheers

TFIC

si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

Of course i am biased cos i sell them but this might be something to consider, Chumba VF2

or if that is a bit rich, Chumba XCL

druidh
    Free Member

A new Stumpy?

flatfish
    Free Member

Nicolai helius cc

steve_b77
    Free Member

May I second the Nicolai Helius CC option, having just built mine up from a frame I got off my mate it’s bloody fantastic (so far).

First ride last night, a 3 hour blast through the Northants countryside and it was great, really nice and responsive, pedals really well, turns in well, climbs (as much elevation as you can find in Northamptonshire) well and does the opposite well.

Mines not built light by any means:
    1, Need to drop the 203mm front rotor and fit a 180mm one
    2, Drop the 180mm rotor adn fit a 160mm one
    3, SLX/X7 Gearing
    4, Sunline V2 wide-ass bars

Looks like this:

loddrik
    Free Member

Maverick durance, no question.

auricgoldfinger

Would second the Helius CC. Excellent bike.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Giant Trance X. An excellent bike and good value too.

heihei

Titus Motolite or FTM – pimpy in a subtle way – perfect for those of us approaching 40!!

mildred

Orange 5

r6ymy
    Free Member

What about a Lapierre Zesty 514 or 714?
    Look really nice, good spec, ride well but not too ‘niche’.

Or a Pace RC405, I’m really happy with mine, and think it looks nice from the point of view that it looks like a fairly standard bike, the rear triangle looks almost like a standard double diamond, and the linkages are quite discreet. Can’t be a mid-life crisis bike, I’m several years past that!

Daffy

Ibis Mojo frames are £600 off at Stif at the moment.

Daffy

I’d be tempted by a 514 though.

loddrik
    Free Member

Other than maverick, how about an ellsworth epiphany, or ventanas look nice too.

chakaping
    Free Member

Trance X won’t give you much street cred, but if it’s anywhere near as good as the Trance (4in) or Reign (6in) it’ll be a cracking bike.

I’ve been riding both the Trance and Reign today and they both constantly impress me.

firestarter
    Free Member

five spot

druidh
    Free Member

Meta

cynic-al
    Free Member

what bike can I buy that will mske ms look like I’ve made my own choice?

A new low!

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Hustler

garlic
    Free Member

I’d say a new Stumpjumper too. You obviously really loved it.

mingsta
    Free Member

If you want real cred, buy what the hell you want and don’t worry what image it may or may not portray.

Personally I’d get a mainstream, big-on-value FS like spesh or marin…its gonna be out of date in 3 years time so whats the point in spending more, its just a tool for the job.

DrDolittle
    Free Member

I am naturally not a show-offy kind of person

On the other hand I also like the idea of my bike saying to other riders in the know that Im a member of the in crowd

My diagnosis would be cognitive dissonance.

Perhaps you should just buy a bike similar to the one you have owned and liked, say a Trance X. Save yourself a few bob and the inevitable embarassing revelation that nobody worth impressing is impressed by expenditure on a **** bicycle.

alpin
    Free Member

liteville 301.

Have a little play around….

130mm at the rear. some i know run lyriks and use it for freeride. built up around 13kg. also retains the look of a hardtail. nice bikes.

lettuce know if your are interested and i can put you in touch with a dealer in germany – possible discount.

coopersport1
    Free Member

I know what i’m doing, I know what I want to achieve, a bike that will happily do xc yet chase and sometimes pass the DH mob, mmmmmmmmmmhhhhhhhhhh let me think 💡

Would possibly opt for a more subtle colour!

johnners
    Free Member

nobody worth impressing is impressed by expenditure on a **** bicycle

Well put Dr D.

Take the stickers off your bike – very few people have any idea what a bike is if they can’t read it off the frame, and unlike on STW, many don’t care what you’re riding anyway. It does confuse the more superficial though and they’re the only ones judging you.

kiwijohn

iamstuckupmyownarse

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Have an Orange 5 myself and love it to bits. Had it for 2 years now and wouldn’t swap it for anything else. Does it all. Bikes I like the look of and would like to try (and also fit your requirements) are:

Lapierre Zesty
    Cannondale Rush
    Giant Trance X

I suppose it doesn’t matter what the brand is or model. Its whether it feels right to ride and is suitable for the riding that you do. Try a few makes and models or attend a demo day.

DickBarton

Marin Mount Vision…admittedly it is still very new, but compared to my original Trance, it seems much more capable – also a half pound lighter.

I’m still getting used to it but so far it has climbed up the same stuff, ridden over the same stuff and descended much quicker than the Trance…

So far it seems to be a great bike – not boutique in any way but it seems to do the job*.

* Only issue is how to transport it (and this depends on the model – if you have one with a thru-axle this is appropriate) – if going by roof rack then you are somewhat stuck as the downtube is too large for most clamp-type carriers (a Thule Freeride only grips it by the very ends so isn’t a very secure hold) and the Proride fits the hole below the shock mounting but the chainrings foul the clamp closure so it isn’t held in securely. You need to resort of a fork mounted clamp and so far the only 1 you can buy in the UK is the Pendle Single Bike roof bar with 15QR adapter. Rear mounted probably not such a problem as the top tube has plenty space for the bars to fit through. Towbar is probably the best option for transporting it.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Spesh Pitch

aviemoron
    Free Member

Ellsworth Epiphany trick it out and who gives a f*ck what anyone thinks!

grumm
    Free Member

On the other hand I also like the idea of my bike saying to other riders in the know that Im a member of the in crowd not someone whos handed over a huge pile of cash at Halfords or Stif LOL

Oh come on – just test ride some bikes and pick the one you like best. Jesus.

I would be looking at Lapierre Zesty/Spicy or a Trek Remedy meself.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i was going to say ellsworth epiphany as well. top stuff.

theflatboy
    Free Member

the other thing i would say is that people who rule bikes out because they worry about people judging their choice are just as much fashion victims as those who buy bikes to fit in with a clique.

buy what suits you, **** “mid-life crisis” thoughts!

loddrik
    Free Member

I don’t give a toss what people think, but I just want somthing a little different so I know exactly what the poster means. I just wouldn’t want to own a specialized/trek/giant etc etc, regardless of how good it is, if that makes people sneer, that is just fine by me….

cymohndee
    Free Member

I settled on a Pace RC405, now white is dead there are no more excuses! My riding has improved tons just cos I can’t help myself on this bike, I have to give it a go. My advice is demo all your shortlist. They all ride completely differently. FSR, single pivot, VPP all have such different feels. Go and find out what clicks for you. It doesn’t matter what it looks like, how big the grin is when you get back to the car is the only arbiter of how good a bike is, mid life crisis or not!

grumm
    Free Member

I don’t give a toss what people think, but I just want somthing a little different

I just wouldn’t want to own a specialized/trek/giant etc etc, regardless of how good it is

Logic fail/self-delusion

theflatboy
    Free Member

grumster, i was just quoting exactly the same thing 🙂

BoardinBob

Do you sneer at people for riding a Spesh/ Giant/ Trek?

loddrik
    Free Member

No, but I think I will from now on…

The desire to own something a little different is strictly to please myself, I ride alone and as much as possible away from everyone else, so other peoples opinions are irrelevant.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘5″ travel with no ‘baggage’’ is closed to new replies.