Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • 5 door, sporty hatchback
  • meehaja
    Free Member

ok, what are my options? I’ve got £5k, either to buy outright or use as a deposit, upto about £8.5k. I’m thinking golf GTTDI, but they seem expensive for what they are and mostly higher milage/ older cars. What else is worth having?

hammyuk
    Free Member

My A3 S-Line Sportback is going on sale around the end of the month.
    2.0 DSG 170bhp, fSH including DSG oil changes, correct alloys, new mot, tax, etc.
    £9k

takisawa2

Something with a petrol engine.
    I know the GTDi is a cracking car, but as old fashioned as I am, if I wanted a sporty car it would have to have a proper revvy engine.
    Focus ST, normal GTi Golf.

**45yr old Galaxy driving downtrodden father here, so my views are probably out of date.

meehaja
    Free Member

focus ST would be great, but its thirsty as hell, and ultimately If my wife has forbidden my porsche lust, I’m not sure I’d want to buy a ford with similar MPG!

loddrik
    Free Member

Civic type R?

adrec
    Free Member

I’ve got an 09 golf 140 gt tdi. Really good car. You do pay a bit of a premium for a vw over a vauxhall etc but you’ll get that back when you come to sell it and chances are you’ll save money in garage fees, as the reliability is bombproof

loddrik
    Free Member

Oops just read the title!! 5 door only.

BMW 130i Sport. Golf GTi DSG.

adrec
    Free Member

I did however used to have a focus st-3. Now that’s a car. 25mpg tho.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Mazda 3 MPS?

legend
    Free Member

Anything that’s not a diesel or an Audi S(ales)-line.

Civic Type-R or Golf GTI for the win if the Focus is too thirsty

GJP
    Free Member

Just sold my A3 Sportback 2.0T FSI Quattro S line special edition 200 hp full leather with loads of extras, full audi service history 56 plate 44 k one owner, to a VW garage in twickenham. They are looking to give the alloys a refurb, sort out a scratch and I believe sell rather than push through the trade. Not sure where you are but it is a very fine car.

timc
    Free Member

BMW 130i
    Golf GTI (Edition 30)
    Octavia VRS 2.0T
    A3 2.0T FSI
    Seat Leon Cupra/FR

adrec
    Free Member

Bit of a curve ball. Skoda fabia or octavia vrs. vw mechanics at about 3/4 the cost

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Mondeo

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Bit of a curve ball. Skoda fabia or octavia vrs. vw mechanics at about 3/4 the cost

I was about to say – Fabia vRS. Older ones are very understated but quicker than the Octavia (I have an Octavia).

stumpy01

Pimpmaster Jazz – Member

I was about to say – Fabia vRS. Older ones are very understated but quicker than the Octavia (I have an Octavia).

I assume this is referring to the original diesel Fabia vRS?
    If the Fabia is big enough, then consider the Ibiza FR too. It was available in 150bhp petrol or 1.9TDi 130 (same as the Fabia vRS. Can generally be had for less money than the Fabia.

Not sure if it’s available in 5 door; I doubt it is, but there’s also the Ibiza Cupra. The petrol is the 180 bhp 1.8T engine and the diesel is the same 1.9TDi as in FR but with 160 bhp (different turbo/injectors/intercooler and it’s got AP racing brakes).

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I assume this is referring to the original diesel Fabia vRS?

Yes, sorry – lack of clarification.

beefheart
    Free Member

Megane 225.

timc
    Free Member

Pimpmaster Jazz – Member
    I was about to say – Fabia vRS. Older ones are very understated but quicker than the Octavia

Quicker than an Octavia VRS?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Yeap. Only marginally, but the power-to-weight is better.

I’ll see if I can dig out the stats.

LHS
    Free Member

Years ago i had a Seat Leon Cupra-R. That was quite a good fun car and quite practical for biking. Should pick a good one up for £5k

hammyuk
    Free Member

Won’t get a Cupra R for that ones unless it is f@@d
    Leon FR/CR 180bhp super/turbo engine, low tax, etc for petrol or the 2.0 170 VAG group diesel

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I suspect LHS was referring to a mk1 Cupra R in which case £5k should get a good ‘un.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

OK, so the 0-60s aren’t even vaguely comparable: http://www.vrsworld.co.uk/skoda_vrs_specs.html

It must have been a mid-range torque comparison – this is going to bug me now.

In the meantime, these torque figures make for interesting reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%A0koda_Fabia#Fabia_vRS
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%A0koda_Octavia#Engines

The Fabia has 230, compared to the Octy’s 173lb.

richmtb

I just chopped my petrol Leon FR that I had for six years.

I liked it so much I got another one.

They are brilliant value compared to Golf GTIs given that mechanically they are virtually identical

stumpy01

I seem to remember Autocar doing a review of the Fabia vRS and timed it at about a second quicker than the official time to 60. (I think it’s Autocar that do their own timing with little graphs and charts)….

And here’s a long term review (couple of links) from Auto Express that are claiming 8.1 secs to 60 for their standard car (reduced to 7 with a re-map).

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/fabia/18973/skoda-fabia-vrs
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/fabia/18987/skoda-fabia-vrs

This probably explains why my Ibiza doesn’t feel any slower than my OH’s 12 reg Ibiza FR TDi that’s supposed to do 0-60 in under 8, whereas mine is officially 9.3 or something about there…..

cr500dom
    Free Member

I sold my BMW 130i M-sport earlier this year for £7500

5Dr Lemans Blue, 67,000 miles, FSH, full Black leather, Fully loaded apart from heated seats, xenons and sat nav.

I have regretted it ever since 😥

The 535D Touring which replaced it is arguably a better car, but doesn’t stir the soul in anywhere near the same way.
    The 130i engine is just glorious

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

On on STW could you get people suggesting diesel engined cars when someone’s after a sporty hatchback.

Have a wander round town on a friday evening, look at what all the fast lads who know how to handle a car are driving. Civics, Focus etc.

hammyuk
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member
    Have a wander round town on a friday evening, look at what all the fast lads who think they know how to handle a car are driving. Civics, Focus etc.

FTFY

ElShalimo

Mazda6 MPS – big, very fast and quite rare

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Have a wander round town on a friday evening, look at what all the fast lads who know how to handle a car are driving. Civics, Focus etc.

You mean the police? Normally Astras in this part of the world, with the odd Omega being taking time out from motorway duties.

timc
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member

haha this is quality! 😆

hammyuk
    Free Member

If you mean the Police that ACTUALLY drive the cars for pursuit then T5/D5, 330/530 for traffic duties, Vrs for covert( although everyone knows to look out for them…), Legacy, not a single focus/Astra/etc.
    Astra/focus is bog standard beat cars for most forces in the uk, all leased hence being silver or red nowadays for resale value.

meehaja
    Free Member

just for balance, I’m the guy on a friday night throwing a car round town at top speed… Currnetly running a skoda Octavia scout. I’m thinking something fun outside of work. Leon cupra looks good, and I get a lot more car for the money than the Golf GTI. To be honest I want a Porsche, and a few ratty 911’s are in budget, plenty of boxters and some 968/944’s which I’ve loved since I was a kid, but wife has crossed them off the list already!

legend
    Free Member

not a single focus

close, got a very mean liveried Focus ST on traffic patrol around these parts

richmtb

close, got a very mean liveried Focus ST on traffic patrol around these parts

Beat me to it!

There is more than one in Glasgow

meehaja
    Free Member

300hp volvo v70 is a bit more car than I can be bothered with. all that wheel spinning in 3rd malarky!

edlong
    Free Member

I’m the guy on a friday night throwing a car round town at top speed

Please don’t.

Kryton57

BMW330i for £2500? Gets a bike (road or mountain) on the back seat and 2 on the roof….

br
    Free Member

You mean the police? Normally Astras in this part of the world, with the odd Omega being taking time out from motorway duties.

Omega, what decade do live you in?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘5 door, sporty hatchback’ is closed to new replies.