Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 48 hours in Dubai
  • jonba
    Free Member

Looking at booking a trip to Oman at the end of the year. We have the option to spend a bit more time somewhere. We could very easily spend a few extra days in Muscat, it seems like there is plenty to do. The other option is to spend 48 hours in Dubai. Flights and hotels works out as about the same cost.

I don’t want to dismiss Dubai but I can find very little that draws me to the place. All the advice seems to be go shopping, go to a nice restaurant, go to the water park, indoor/outdoor skydiving, indoor skiing, go up a tall building.

For someone who likes active holidays (walking, horse riding, cycling type stuff) and a bit of culture where would you recommend. The things listed above are things I could anywhere and to be honest don’t have much interest in doing.

jam-bo

I’ve been to both. I’d spend an extra couple of days in muscat. Hire a 4×4, go explore.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

go shopping, go to a nice restaurant, go to the water park, indoor/outdoor skydiving, indoor skiing

Basingstoke, then?

Stay in Oman or go to Muscat. Use DXB as a hub if need be, but not a destination.

corroded
    Free Member

I’ve been to both too. Muscat every time.

bamboo
    Free Member

I spent a day in Dubai whilst in transit to western china last August. The burj khalifa was impressive, and that was about it. The emirates lounge at the airport was pretty crappy too.

In summary – anywhere but Dubai!

bhill22
    Free Member

Oman – far more interesting, try getting out of Muscat if you can, some of it is spectacular and the Omani’s are very friendly/helpful

monkeychild
    Free Member

I’ve spent 8 months in Oman. The dive centre by all bustan is ace. Try waddi bashing if you can. There was only one bike shop in Oman owned by some German dude (proper nice guy) and they did shop rides. The people are very friendly, jebel akhdar is interesting if modern history is your thing.
    I’m an atheist but i truly appreciated the architecture of the grand mosque, the chandelier is massive.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have been to both, Oman I go on holiday Dubai only for work. I would say the only reason to spend time in Dubai is to look at the ridiculousness of it all.

Oman many options other than Muscat, eg one of the special hotels deep into the desert or Al-Bustan Palace / Chedi for some beach side R&R

Echo monkey above, diving / snorkeling are excellent and you should tour some of the mosques

jimdubleyou

Dubai is fine if you want guaranteed sun, and are ok sitting in nice hotel near a beach.

There is a desert reserve which is worth seeing if you’re there, but I wouldn’t go especially

slowoldman

I was looking for a job in Oman about 40 years ago. Never came off and I ended up in Saudi. I would still like to visit Oman but have never got on with it. It seems to me the only interesting thing in Dubai is gazing at skyscrapers if that’s your thing.

jonba
    Free Member

I’m spending 10 days in Oman, getting about a bit, flying into Muscat but not really spending longer than a day there so thought we could drag it out and explore the city and local area ourselves.

I think you confirmed my thoughts re Dubai. No one has manged to sell it to me beyond it would be a nice experience. Might see if I can go with work instead 😉

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

seems apt to post a video of Britain’s funniest man

[video]http://youtu.be/xoamtTkQzzw[/video]

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘48 hours in Dubai’ is closed to new replies.