Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • 456 owners – what stem length?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Building up a 16in frame, and I’m just under 5ft 9in.

Top tube looks so long that I’m thinking 50mm stem with 685mm (and maybe later 710mm) bars.

I gather it’s designed to be used with a short stem. What do others use?

robbo1234biking

I use a 50mm stem on mine – a race face evolve. I struggled to find one actually as you go on CRC or somewhere and none of them seemed to stock the 50mm length stems. I found with a 70mm stem the weight distribution wasnt quite right. Im about the same height as you as well and also running 685mm bars with a 1 inch rise. Run a normal seatpost and the saddle is about central on the rails which I find is a good set up for climbing and descending.

chakaping
    Free Member

that’s great, cheers robbo

got a 70mm stem coming off my handjob, but the top tube on the 456 is soooo much longer I thought I’d need something shorter

robbo1234biking

Yeh I found the back felt a bit sketchy with the longer stem and also I felt a bit stretched out as well.

Paulio
    Free Member

5’8″ here with a 70mm stem on my 16″ carbon 456 and 680mm bars. It feels spot on to me; stable and comfortable.

neilforrow

6ft, 50mm transition temple lite stem, 710mm race face bars. spot on… I found the longer stem felt wrong on the steeper stuff.. like I was being pushed / chucked over the front…

StuE
    Free Member

70mm on an 18″ it 12 degree rise and feels spot on.

IMG_3593 by StuE1, on Flickr

IMG_3591 by StuE1, on Flickr

mmb
    Free Member

5’9″ 60mm stem thinking of going up to 70mm

TomHill
    Free Member

I love the handling of a 65mm stem and 710 bars (although 6ft and on a medium)

br
    Free Member

90mm for me with 711mm low rise bars, on a 20″ frame – long arms/legs

james
    Free Member

For a 16″ frame the on-one site recommends 60-80mm stems btw

spacehopper

im 5ft 9.. use a 60mm on-one stem on mine and it feeld perfect..

tried 70mm and 80mm and it felt like i was doing a superman impression everytime i rode it..

Drop! by spodhopper, on Flickr

July 12 by spodhopper, on Flickr

thomthumb
    Free Member

70 or 50 feels ace on mine.

anotherstan
    Free Member

60mm on an 18″ with 775mm bars works great for me.
    6’2″ btw.

Inbred456
    Free Member

No more than 70mm, but I suppose it also depends on the width of your bars for leverage etc.

saladdodger
    Free Member

I am 5’8 and ride a 16″ 456 my sety up was a layback seat post saddle pushed as far forward as possable with a 90mm stem which felt good

but I have just swoppped to 60mmm stem centered the saddle and the whole set up feels snappier / nicer

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

When i had one i used a 60mm my dad now has one and has gone from 50mm when he bought it up to a 90mm now. He’s not gnar-core and prefers the more stretched out feel. I wouldn’t have let him use anything longer than 90mm though.

Hairychested
    Free Member

456SS here with Azonic CF bars (can’t be bothered to measure). Stem? 70mm Thomson, but an inline post. With 150mm fork I don’t want anything longer, might work differently with another fork.

chakaping
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, interesting.

I wouldn’t have let him use anything longer than 90mm though.

I should hope not, someone might have seen you out riding with him.

😉

billyboy
    Free Member

5′ 11″ here on an 18″ with an 80mm/10 degree rise stem and straight post with the seat right foreward (otherwise my kneees rebeled) was the best I got with about 20mm of spacers under the stem.

That was on a steel 456 ……….on the Ti456 I never really managed to get it to suit me in any guise from 100/90/80/70 stems and layback to straight posts with 140 forks. On One say it was a mirror image frame…I don’t think it was…tyre clearance was obviously more compromised but I think it was different in more ways than that. I have a feeling that 160 forks were the way to go but I gave up.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

5’8″, 16″ 456SS and a 50mm stem with 710mm bars (which aren’t wide enough!).

zawaia
    Free Member

I’m 5’11/6′ and I use an 18″ frame and 100mm stem.

I have a 120mm RS REBA.

I’me having a problem of fiting, i’m always in the back of the sadle, I thought it was because I had a 90mm stem but no…

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m 5ft 9in and I use a 50mm stem and 710mm bar – and it’s perfect.

Oh hang on a minute, I’m talking to myself in the past.

P20

Bit of a thread revival….
    I’m 5’8″ on a medium carbon. Stem is 100mm, i tried 90mm and it felt to short. Inline seatpost if that makes any difference

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I was just about to say what I use but then noticed my post above. Same still applies… need wider bars!

alcolepone
    Free Member

i run a 40mm stem on my 20inch, feels quite nice. went from a 90mm so quite a change.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Running 90mm stem and 750mm bar on a 20″ 456

Been stotting for alpine singletrack ! Any shorter and the front would lift when climbing !

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Paulio – Member
    5’8″ here with a 70mm stem on my 16″ carbon 456 and 680mm bars. It feels spot on to me; stable and comfortable

Snap! 🙂

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘456 owners – what stem length?’ is closed to new replies.