Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 456 frame with rigid fork
  • woody2000

I have an old 456 frame doing nowt at home, I was going to build it back up with a rigid fork (100mm equivalent) as a general mucking about bike and as a bike my other half can ride when we go out as a family.

Anyone else built one up with a short fork? Do they ride “funny” with that fork length? It’s the original version if that matters.

TIA

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

A friend of mine runs his a SS with rigid 29er forks and its spot on, as long as the fork length suits the headangle you want you’ll be fine.

jonba
    Free Member

I run mine with on-one 29er forks. I think you need to be careful about the A-C length since rigid forms are shorter than their suspension equivalents. 29er forks are probably your best bet and available relatively cheaply.

D0NK

yep OO recommend 29er forks

Oh and you ride the fully rigid and let your mrs ride your nice bike you tight get
    🙂

mocha
    Free Member

as above, but add a 700c wheel for proper effect 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

as above, but add a 700c wheel for proper effect

A rigid-forked 456 69er would be ace, I think.

woody2000

Hey, I’ll be riding my fully rigid too 🙂

Sounds like it might be a bit of a non-starter then. Already got the forks (26″ Superstar carbons). Shame 🙁

Unless one of these would work? Might scupper using the bike for offroad commutes though.

20mm headtube extender

TheBrick
    Free Member

With a 440 mm ac fork (like the on one 26″ steel rigid one, and I expect the carbon one you have) you will end up with the same ha as a normal inbred on rigid forks but a steeper seat tube. If the steeper seat tube is an issue make sure you don’t have an in line seat post.

In other words if you would be happy with a normal rigid inbred with a slightly steeper seat tube you will be happy with this setup.

sheephills
    Free Member

how about a 456 summer season with rigids??

any opinions?

xterramac
    Free Member

My 456 summer Season is currently in winter season, built single speed with carbon rigid forks (100mm equiv)
    It rides nice, harsh but nice. Good on the twisty single track and climbs as and for once its quite light (24lbs)
    Go for it,,,,

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Mine from a year or two ago, cornered like a house fly. Great fun. 😀

tony_m
    Free Member

I’ve just stuck a set of Kona P2 29ers (think they’re either 460 or 465 a-c) on my 1st Gen 456, but haven’t had chance to try it out off-road yet. FWIW, it felt fine on the quick-razz-up-and-down-the-street-and-various-high-curbs test! 🙂

FOG

I run Superstar carbon forks in the winter and it rides fine. To be honest I have just put the 140 revs back on and I think I prefer the rigids!

tony_m
    Free Member

Quick update now I’ve actually taken the thing off-road – an “original” 456 rides very nicely indeed with a Kona P2 29er fork. It’s possibly more suited to bridleway-bashing and moorland cruising than hooning around in the woods, but then so am I. 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘456 frame with rigid fork’ is closed to new replies.