Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 44mm headtube and Tapered fork. What headset?
  • lawrence0329
    Free Member

As above, wanted to fit some new floats to my specialized enduro 2008 which has a 44mm straight headtube.

Cheers,
    Lawrence

lawrence0329
    Free Member

nothing too expensive, around 50 quid mark

pixelmix
    Free Member

If it is the same as the Cotic 44mm headtubes, Nukeproof do one (I gave up waiting for stock) or the Hope 2H cups will fit.

RustyMac

for £52.12 you can get a hope pick and mix headset top and bottom cups from merlin.

I would think you would need a 2 fort he top and an H for the bottom. You could use your current upper headset untill merlin get more stock in.

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/mtb-parts/mtb-accessories/headsets-1/hope-pick-n-mix-headset-cups.html

traildog
    Free Member

Are you asking what make, or what size?

Go on the cane creek website and if your bike isn’t on there, select another which has a 44 headtube (eg. Turner 5 spot). Then select the fork and this will give you the size.

As for make, go with what you fancy, at a price you don’t mind spending.

wrecker
    Free Member

This SHIS stuff is an utter disaster. We’re being sold forks and frames with 1 1.8, tapered or 1.5 and headsets with 34,37,41,44 etc.
    Whoevers idea this was is a complete ******* mong.

RustyMac

You may need to modify that nukeproof one as it appears from the picture it comes withan extended lower insertion. If your frame is not designed for that you will need to trim the inserted part of the lower headset to get it to fit.

lawrence0329
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up! Much appreciated.

RustyMac

Trimming it does work, you can do it with a junior hacksaw and a file. I have done exactly this in the past.

haggis1978

I’ve got one of the nukeproof ones I can sell you. Was mounted then removed so brand new really. £35 if you want it. It’s £42 on CRC and been out of stock for a LONG time.

haggis1978

And hope don’t make the right one yet as I tried getting it before I got the nukeproof 🙁

khani
    Free Member

Superstar do This one..I got one because the Hope and Nukeproof ones where like rocking horse poo at the time and it seems good…

RustyMac

*is confused by haggis1978’s last comment*

Hope make the H lower cup which is the correct one for lawrence0329. CRC don’t sell it due to them owning Nuke Proof and wanting to sell the warhead headset instead.

mlucas666
    Free Member

Here’s another thread about 44mm Headsets

Madison produce their own 44mm headset: ‘Elite X44’. Evans are doing them for £40.

haggis1978

you try getting one then. as khani says rocking horse poo. my lbs was trying for 3 weeks to get one for me and told me it wasnt available yet, same with the cane creek one plus i was scanning the net for a while myself to no avail

RustyMac

The Hope H cup is in stock at merlincycles in the link i posted earlier. Hope ran out of stock of them for a month or two earlier in the year, no one could get them, not even Cy at Cotic or Si at Progressive bikes but about a month ago Hope re-stocked and they went on sale again.

GavinB

@haggis

I’ll take that challenge then, as I’ve got two from Merlin.

As others have said, for whatever reason, the Hope mix n match on CRC is well out of date, and omits that they now do a lower 1.5 cup for a 44mm HT.

haggis1978

Was about a month ago I gave up so I guess you’re right then

GavinB

To be fair, they were as rare as hens teeth a few months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘44mm headtube and Tapered fork. What headset?’ is closed to new replies.