Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 184 total)
  • 4 x 4 f*+ckwits
  • rs
    Free Member

My 4×4 Cherokee gets about 15mpg 😳 I just wished I had some snow to see what its capable of. My previous 4×4 Ford Escape was awesome in the snow the previous two years and that just kicked in the back wheels when needed. As has been said a million times that had decent all season tires!

uponthedowns
    Free Member

That is untill the cocks with 4×4's come the other way. Sat in the middle of the road doing 40mph thinking they are invincible.

Round here it doesn't need to be snowing or be a 4×4 for any arrogant knob end in any type of vehicle to do that. They seem to think they own the road and you should automatically move over for them. I've taken to driving at them letting their reflexes take their vehicle where good manners and consideration should have in the first place. Wouldn't try it in snow though.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Teachers in 4x4s – they're the worst. 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

4×4 means more braking and cornering grip, does it?

Actually in 4×4 off-roaders with decent M&S tyres, yup, I'd venture to say that in my experience it does. Certainly better than my 2wd normal car with normal tyres, better in accel, cornering and decel. Of course on pure ice, no it's as much of a nightmare (though has the lovely tendency to maintain momentum which can have positive and negative effects – keeps it more stable when other cars tend to squirm and spin but also means understeer in bends rarely can be corrected). You just have to know your car, have a car kitted out properly (tyres) and have experience using it PROPERLY. 4x4s have much better snow clearance, don't get stuck in drifts as easily, can pass in tricky situations where cars must stay on more level ground, can pull other cars out of hedges/ditches etc where other cars sit and spin (kinda proves the point about traction). Why do you think they use landcruisers offroad in iceland, rather than Passat estates?

4×4 normal cars – much better than 2wd, the extra cornering and traction for accel is very noticable, but ultimately it's on road tyres so it stops just as badly as my 2wd.

2wd FWD TD estate – plods along, can't be overly adventurous, gets stuck where the 4x4s wouldn't, can't pass in drifts if required, can't brake any better than the others, but at least it's cheap if it gets crumpled.

Liftman

More than 30mpg out of a navara, never in a month of Sundays unless you took an engine out of a micra and put it in your navara.
    Managed to get 28mpg once, but you have to drive like a girl to get that. Normally average 22-25mpg.
    The Navara is nearly a 3 ton vehicle with a 2.5 litre turbo diesel engine |

Kuco

I wish my works 4×4 weighed 2 ton mine weighs closer to 3 ton. I hate the thing it's gutless uncomfortable to drive, turning circle of an oil tanker but doing my off-road refresher course last year I couldn't fault it went anywhere I pointed it's been great in this weather.
    Oh what I don't like is when driving down narrow lanes the cars coming the opposite direction automatically thinking you are going to drive up the verge to let them through even if there is a three foot drop into the ditch.

kennyp
    Free Member

1. i can go biking get the bike dirty as **** and chuck it straight in the back without worrying about getting car dirty

2. in the summer i go camping alot and get to leave most of gear in car all summer to just get in and go, not constantly packing and unpacking.

3. when the weather is shite like now I get to take the back lanes home and leave the main routes clear for all the 2wheel drivers(and still beat them there)

4 If your really knew what you were talking about you would realise my diesel navara is far more fuel efficient than most 2ltr rep mobiles so it actually does some good too.

1. I can do that with my Mazda 6.

2. I can do that with my Mazda 6.

3. You've got me there, but on average you are only talking about 2 or 3 days a year.

4. I doubt that very much.

So, on the whole I'd rather drive my "normal" car and not have the rest of the population think I'm a to$$er (not that all 4×4 drivers are by any means, but lots are).

amodicumofgnar

Not so much 4wd hating from me at the moment – more just a question why do they drive them like 2wd cars and expect those of us with 2wd to get out the way. Not even following basic rules like give way to uphill traffic which should go double for winter conditions.

Anyway, take heart in some parts of the country there is always something bigger round the corner for them to meet.

And some times something even bigger than that.

(its a very big tractor driven by a very big chap – John is a 6'6" and built like a brick shit house.)

There's never a tractor trumps thread about when you want it.

adam_h
    Free Member

the hustler – Member

I love the 4×4 haters, here are a few good reasons why i drive a navara

😆 Seconded

I drive an L200 though (awaits L200 bashing) for similar reasons. A 2wd car would struggle to pull nearly 1500kg of boat and trailer up the sandy slipway at Conwy. I can lash all my sandy wakeboarding stuff and muddy bikes in the back, and jet wash it out when I get home. I drive mine carefully and courteously, I've had 4×4 training and have to do advanced driver training through work. Not every 4×4 driver is a f*+ckwit.

Many "2wd f*+ckwits" have been thankful of my 4×4 the past couple of weeks when I've been pulling them out of ditches and up snowy hills they've got stranded on. And during the summer on the beach at Colwyn Bay, when they try to recover big boats on soft sand, on an incoming tide and get stuck upto the front bumper.

It'll never be as good as a Defender or Disco etc. offroad or in this snow, but its got a low range box and difflock and it suits me fine for what I use it for. It's also cheap to tax and insure. As for the fuel economy, I don't know you get with your Navara hustler, but I get between 25-30mpg with normal driving/towing, but I didn't buy a 2t pick up for fuel economy 😉

Kuco

Adam_h my L200 went every where a Landrover went last year on a 4×4 course with the added bounus of not leaking water into the cab 😉

adam_h
    Free Member

😆 Mine just drags it arse everywhere

chameleon78
    Free Member

Never mind the fookwits on the roads theres a few fookwits on tinterweb forums!

mattsccm
    Free Member

It's been quite nice these last few days, and before Xmas. Got the Landy or Jimny out, drove in the middle of the roads , pissed off slidy car drivers. why or why do those ****** try to go to work . why not stay in bed for a bit then go for a play like us teachers. Much cleverer 😆

Kuco

Agree adam_h totally gutless.

Pieface

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It'll all be over in a few days / weeks

JonBurns
    Free Member

I really like my x-trail it's been ace over the past few weeks and have had the option of 2WD or 4WD. However I'm not too enamoured with the bellend who owns the 4wd Celica down the road as he insists on wheelspinning every morning and evening in the turning circle polishing the snow/ice making it much worse for everyone else….except me.

aracer
    Free Member

OK so kennyp's already done it, but I can do better…

I love the 4×4 haters, here are a few good reasons why i drive a navara

1. i can go biking get the bike dirty as **** and chuck it straight in the back without worrying about getting car dirty
    So can I in my 406 estate (If I'm feeling bothered a groundsheet helps).

2. in the summer i go camping alot and get to leave most of gear in car all summer to just get in and go, not constantly packing and unpacking.

I do similar with mine.

3. when the weather is shite like now I get to take the back lanes home and leave the main routes clear for all the 2wheel drivers(and still beat them there)

Yep me too – have been driving the back roads since the snow came on Tuesday to avoid the traffic queues of numpties (strangely I've seen a few 4x4s stuck in those).

4 If your really knew what you were talking about you would realise my diesel navara is far more fuel efficient than most 2ltr rep mobiles so it actually does some good too.

Not more efficient than mine – I average ~46mpg – do a bit better than that at 80 on the motorway, how about you?

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

<i>I learnt some great tips when I did a basic course so I could drive my company 4X4 in a certain companies sites </i>

'Experience' by any chance?

I've driven all theirs including this at DVD this year (Millbrook – according to anyone you ask the best 4×4 proving ground in Europe).

Yes we managed to get it stuck. Computer decided it knew best and shut it down.

4x4s have their place, they are useful on the odd occasion but if anything that just goes to prove how way over-engineered they are for normal everyday road use – nothing justifies buying one instead of average family saloon car.

KT1973
    Free Member

I used to feel the same about 4×4's until I had kids myself, so it's mainly for the wife to use and the benefits are the elevated driving position and ride height, the extra security of having 2 ton of steel around you plus all the airbags and the practicality of all the extra space. It's comfy for driving long distance and it's a diesel so it's not too bad on the fuel either- certainly better than the last couple of petrol engined cars I've had.
    I know a lot of these features are available on a family saloon/estate and I did consider some of these, but having tried several and read all the reviews I think I made the right decision and I'm really happy with the whole package, and of course it's great to chuck the bike and gear in the back and head up the glens for a days riding too.

mattsccm
    Free Member

80 on a motorway. Prat

iDave
    Free Member

80 on a motorway. Prat

🙄

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Although in a crash you really don't want to be in most 4x4s… especially a Navara, so I don't buy the "safety" reasoning. And I drive the things!

I had a Navara for about a year, it broke down… lots. The computer claimed I was getting 34mpg, but it was lying. I know this because I changed it for a Grand Vitara which claims I am getting 32mpg with a much smaller tank and yet I go to the fuel pumps less often.

Pickups are just waaay to flawed for use as a private car, given my work there are times I miss them – usually when I have a "dirty" sewage pump that needs taken to the workshop. It now goes in the boot, which is less than pleasant! But manouverability was pants with very poor turning circles and physical size that is verging on the rediculous. Nah… I can live without that (though it was fun to drive the Navara, but I think the Suzuki has better handling even if it is a lot slower).

For what it's worth – in the snow and ice I do drive quite slowly. Momentum is not your friend in these conditions. Keep it smooth, keep the speed down and everything is fine (within reason – I am supposed to head up to a site half way up the back of Skiddaw today, not sure if I am going to make it up the narrow lane to the place with all the sheet ice around, but will take a look).

Biggest problem I see with 4x4s is people misunderstanding them and thinking that it allows them to drive as normal in any conditions. Which is why you see BMW/Posh Landie/RangeRovers/Landcruisers etc all parked delicately in walls, snowdrifts and ditches at the moment. I was told in all seriousness yesterday that the best way down a lane with a 4×4 in this weather was, and I quote, to "Just Welly It". Oddly I didn't follow said advice and had no problems at all… unlike the X3 that deposited itself in a hedge going the other way.

Right – I am off up the north of the county. Wish me luck!

oldgit
    Free Member

@AnalogueAndy
    No, I think it was Aggrigate Industries. Their own guys tested you, rather like a forklift test I guess.
    The scariest moment was coming out of a deep pit, as you got to the lip of the pit all you could see was sky it's weird having no horizon.

hora
    Free Member

mattsccm – Member

80 on a motorway. Prat

Why? Its not 'speed' that kills.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Any 4×4 on road tyres would get blown away by a 2wd car on winter tyres.
    If you really want the best of both worlds then get a normal car, and a set of winter wheels, like they do in Austria.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Having said that, if your 4×4 regularly gets muddy at least once a week, then I have no problem with you 😉

hora
    Free Member

Any 4×4 on road tyres would get blown away by a 2wd car on winter tyres.

You do realise that when theres a snow coating on the ground a 4wd system with winter tyres is more secure/predicatable dont you?). Plus when its 1ft deep etc regardless the 2wd system will struggle if one tyre has no grip or it has to PULL all the weight of the car with just two contact points?

FWD cars trying to steer AND power the vehicle in slippy conditions? Or maybe trying to control the rear end with RWD? 😆

Overnight I've been parking in a snow drift alongside snowed up cars/that havent moved today as its safer there for more car (i.e not get knocked by passing cars). Then in the morning, I simply roll out of my 'space' well its 2ft deep (thats been free for the past two days) 😀

tron
    Free Member

You do realise that when theres a snow coating on the ground a 4wd system with winter tyres is more secure/predicatable dont you?

Yes, but a 4×4 on road tyres (not all terrains) is still going to get whipped by a FWD car on winter tyres, all things being equal. Until you reach the point where ground clearance becomes an issue.

Once you get to the proper kit like Defenders you have the massive advantage of diff locks & the fact that they generally have at least all terrain tyres, whilst most road cars don't even come with an LSD.

llamafarmer
    Free Member

KT1973 – Member

the extra security of having 2 ton of steel around you

Not so comforting for the mum on the school run in her Vauxhall Corsa though is it? It's like a pointless arms race – the only way you can be safe in a crash with a 4×4 is to have one yourself.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

ooOOoo – Member
    Having said that, if your 4×4 regularly gets muddy at least once a week, then I have no problem with you

My 4x4s don't go off road at all.
    Well, this one has done a few forest tracks and muddy point to point car parks,

and the A4 convertible never goes off road, but it's still a 4×4

😉

hora
    Free Member

Yes, but a 4×4 on road tyres (not all terrains) is still going to get whipped by a FWD car on winter tyres

You are trying to lump poser cars into the '4×4' bracket. A FWD car with winter tyres will always struggle on snow regardless.

A 4×4 with a owners 4×4 mentality tends to have winter tyres in winter.

mcboo
    Free Member

Me to Oldgit. I too did a whole lot of 4×4 driving in the Army, even did my test in a short wheel base Land Rover in Colchester!

We've been thinking of trading in the 6yr old XC90 for a normal estate, decided now just to get another one, been brilliant this winter.

You cant drive a 4×4 like you would a lower car. I dont want to crush someone in their Corsa and I certainly dont want to hit an immovable object like a tree in a great big car. When you have 3 kids, a dog, old parents and like doing outdoor stuff they make just loads of sense, just dont be a dick about it ok?

hora
    Free Member

mcboo, you were in the Army as well?? Me too!

hora
    Free Member

..Salvation 😆

mcboo
    Free Member

Dont get too excited son, I probably beasted you rotten…..

pjt201
    Free Member

ignoring all the discussion above, i'd just like to say i had a good laugh at a bloke in a evo vii this morning. despite your car having 4wd the quickest way to get away from the lights when on a road covered in sheet ice, all that will happen is you'll spin all 4 wheels, as he found out. idiot.

stumpy01

A FWD car with winter tyres will always struggle on snow regardless.

No it won't.

For the first 2 months I lived in Bavaria it was completely covered in snow & it's a very hilly region. We had access to an Astra estate & a Vauxhall Sharan owned by the company we were working for. They both had winter tyres on & unless you drove them like a complete div, they behaved fine.
    We used to use them several times a week in some pretty bad conditions.

I'm not saying they would be as sure-footed as a 4wd (car/ jeep whatever) with winter tyres but they hardly 'struggled'.

tron
    Free Member

You are trying to lump poser cars into the '4×4' bracket. A FWD car with winter tyres will always struggle on snow regardless.

Oh. I understand now. 4x4s are defined as vehicles with locking diffs, 12 foot of suspension articulation, winter tyres, and owned by someone possessed with a "4×4 mentality". Any other vehicle that happens to have drive and braking on all 4 wheels is now recategorised as a poser car. Should a 4×4 be sold to an ordinary person, it instantly enters the poser car category.

And front wheel drive cars are always fitted with road legal slicks.

Got it.

Dickyboy

4×4 diesel estate with spare set of all terrain tyres – job done!

….just a shame I have a mondeo & work from home, so no excuses there either, doh!

hora
    Free Member

stumpy your telling me simple winter tyres on two front wheel drive cars were fine ontop of snow? Parts of Austria/Alps etc they use tyres with steel or snowchains when there is snow between the tarmac and the wheel?

tron I was clarifying what my understanding of 4×4 is. To me, a 4×4 was designed 4×4 first/with 4×4 in mind. Production cars that have 4motion etc were designed as cars first with 4wd added after as an option.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 184 total)

The topic ‘4 x 4 f*+ckwits’ is closed to new replies.