Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • 4 hr ish ride from Eastbourne
  • jruk
    Free Member

I’m at the in laws this Saturday and have 4-5 hours riding time from Sat morning. SDW seems the obvious choice. Any other ideas?

tomaso
    Free Member

Friston Forest is good and there are plenty of trails in the woods between the houses and downs all the way along the east facing slope from Beachy Head to Ratton/Willingdon.
    Check strava heatmaps for routes if you are stuck because SDW is a lot of double track

cyclistm
    Free Member

I was in Friston this eve and its got very wet all of a sudden, still great, but might not be ideal for 4-5hour ride.

The top (the SDW in effect) should be okay still, but I’ve not been up there so not entirely sure.

As said above, if you keep roughly to the SDW you’ll be okay. Dont be afraid to drop off the top, either North or South to explore, and maybe save an hour or so for Friston on your way back.

richardthird

All the exposed bridleways will be dry. Just be careful on covered descents (green chalk). Upper Friston forest will be a bit sloppy.

A good loop would be SDW to Alfriston, up to Bo Peep (1st car park, before Firle) then drop down to Seaford then into Friston forest for a lap, then out at Friston pond, over Crowlink, down to Birling Gap, then bridleways back following the Beachy Head road back to SDW start.
    30m and 3000′ ish.

Kiosk at the SDW start is great for bacon goodness after. The cafe/restaurant IN the forest is a tourist trap rip off.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘4 hr ish ride from Eastbourne’ is closed to new replies.