Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 220 total)
  • Chris Evans to lead Top Gear line-up
  • pondo

Top gear was indeed those 3. It’s those 3 that made it so popular. Before those 3 it was a shit marginal small show.
    Like it or not, to the majority of the worldwide audience, those 3 were top gear.

I get that. Popular is not necessarily good, it’s just popular. Like One Direction are popular, or David Cameron. For me, I want to see a decent car program, not the same car programme recycled over and over year after year. Still, YMMV and all that.

chewkw
    Free Member

pondo – Member

But they are the best three so far IMO (need to say ‘IMO’ otherwise the whole anal thing is going to blow out of proportion) …

That’s a nice switch from the whole “change the name” thing. Totally get that people don’t want change, but TG was around for a long time before The Three turned up. Let’s hope it’s around for a long time after. [/quote]

I have to switch to softer tone otherwise people’s feeling get hurt and I need to apologise for hurting their feeling. Very fragile you know.

Yes, I don’t want it to change coz I like it that way. If it ain’t broken why fix it?

Changing the name to something else means I don’t have to expect things that I like.

I don’t expect it to last forever but as long as the three is able I don’t thing I like to see others in their place.

🙄

ninfan
    Free Member

Chewkw – I think I may have missed one…

bearnecessities

he transformed the Breakfast show

Seriously?! This is no way a dig, but aren’t you sick of hearing the same old crap/jingles/features every week, delivered in the same fashion with added horn?!

Grimshaw is even worse.

Breakfast radio on R1 & 2 is just dire now – that’s just my opinion, but I’d be surprised if I was the only person that thought that.

wrecker
    Free Member

That’s what fifth gear was for pondo. As for popularity, it’s needed. You think that Cameron and one direction are not good but you’re not necessarily right.
    If he plays that ****ing eggs in the morning crap, I’ll be very angry.

chewkw
    Free Member

ninfan – Member

Chewkw – I think I may have missed one…

Ya, I think they should have them. Really.

Then see the programme turns into some sort of cartoon show which will be funny.

😆

edit: Alternately what if JC takes over R2? That should be fun …

Gary_C

I wonder if the new Top Gear will continue with the SIARPC segment?

Clarkson would make a good first guest.

😀

julians
    Free Member

Breakfast radio on R1 & 2 is just dire now – that’s just my opinion, but I’d be surprised if I was the only person that thought that.

yep, both are awful, cant listen to them.

pondo

That’s what fifth gear was for pondo.

The what, now?

As for popularity, it’s needed. You think that Cameron and one direction are not good but you’re not necessarily right.

That may well be correct but equally I would say that something does not necessarily have quality because it is popular.

StuE
    Free Member

Chris Evens is the main reason why I now listen to Radio 3

mefty
    Free Member

Chris Evens is the main reason why I now listen to Radio 3

So he’s done you a good turn too.

Whilst he is a proven property in the UK, it will be interesting to see how well he will go down with the international audience. Not a fan.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I like Chris Evans I just hope he gives up that lame one show to do it, it’s bloody rubbish!!!
    As for the other candidates,
    Guy Martin – no, not a car man although I do like him
    Jodie Kidd – no just no
    Suzie Perry- yes a very good presenter
    Jason Plato – yes a good choice
    JK – yes a manic car nut

But why do they need to bring in any established presenters?, they could bring some new blood in

just5minutes
    Free Member

The Telegraph is reporting Evans has been offered the same fee offered to Hammond and May – £4.6m which works out around £255,000 an episode, or just short of double for each 1 hour episode what our Prime Minister gets paid for leading a whole country for a whole year. Lord Hall is crackers and has just advanced the case for the early demise of the license fee.

v8ninety

Lord Hall is crackers and has just advanced the case for the early demise of the license fee.

BBC having to compete in commercial, competitive, CAPITALIST market shocker. But that is entirely irrelevant anyway; Top Gear doesn’t cost the licence fee payer a penny, in fact it pays for itself AND some pretentious documentaries on BBC4 about the sociopolitical wranglings of lesbian rope makers in eighteenth century Japan, or whatever.

nealglover
    Free Member

Guy Martin – no, not a car man

You’ve obviously not seen his car then?

chewkw
    Free Member

v8ninety – Member

… in fact it pays for itself AND some pretentious documentaries on BBC4 about the sociopolitical wranglings of lesbian rope makers in eighteenth century Japan, or whatever.

Or they can do a documentary on the history of Lesbos island in Greece … Lesbos the Island. 😛

mikewsmith
    Free Member

But why do they need to bring in any established presenters?, they could bring some new blood in

Same as when they reinvented tog gear, one established lead and 2 new people, worked well. 3 newbies makes it look like work experience.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Hopefully Chris moles will get one of the other slots just to send you miserable feckers into meltdown!

legend
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

Same as when they reinvented tog gear, one established lead and 2 new people, worked well. 3 newbies makes it look like work experience.
    POSTED 5 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Took 2 attempts to get right rememeber. Jason Dawe was briefly in, but didn’t fit in with the others at all so was replaced by Hammond

Pigface
    Free Member

Who was the fat bloke who was on before May, he got axed pretty smartish.

Danny Baker wrote a lot of the TFI stuff so I wonder if he will be on board.

julianwilson
    Free Member

just5minutes – Member
    The Telegraph is reporting Evans has been offered the same fee offered to Hammond and May – £4.6m which works out around £255,000 an episode, or just short of double for each 1 hour episode what our Prime Minister gets paid for leading a whole country for a whole year. Lord Hall is crackers and has just advanced the case for the early demise of the license fee.

Please answer other posters points about TG, rubbish though it is, generating revenue for the beeb to actually behave like a public service in providing educational or ‘niche’ programming for people that is not profit-making but still worthwhile? I don’t have to watch tg but i like the random stuff on bbc4 that would never get made if every individual programme had to be self-financing.

How is this different in principle from say an nhs foundation trust taking on extra profit making work in order to balance its books in other areas.

How different is the disparity in salaries contracts for the three presenters than for other contractors to government departments who supposedly help our economy and are considered by civil service and government to be ‘worth it’ despite the eyewatering fees they are paid?

(Also your argument would be better if you compared them to a carreer that is not associated with old money, privilege and of course the doors that it opens long after you cease to be pm and draw your unobtanium-plated pension. Any fool knows the ministerial salary is the tip of the iceberg as far as what you do afterwards or indeed during your time in cabinet or as pm, and the real money is made aferwards. See blair and brown for recent examples of people whose disposable income now does not match their salary back then. Try comparing them to the chief exec of an nhs foundation trust, a top brass military officer or head of a local authority next time)

Drac

which works out around £255,000 an episode, or just short of double for each 1 hour episode what our Prime Minister gets paid for leading a whole country for a whole year

I agree the PM is over paid.

robowns
    Free Member

The rich getting richer …
    There are so many people in UK and the BBC have to choose this bloke.
    Those at BBC are really bunch of jobworth a-hole zomebie maggots.
    No wonder we are screwed.
    Nope. I can happily not watch him as he has annoying voice and he is not funny.

Lol, think this is the biggest over reaction to a change of TV presenters I’ve ever read.

robowns
    Free Member

BBC having to compete in commercial, competitive, CAPITALIST market shocker. But that is entirely irrelevant anyway; Top Gear doesn’t cost the licence fee payer a penny, in fact it pays for itself AND some pretentious documentaries on BBC4 about the sociopolitical wranglings of lesbian rope makers in eighteenth century Japan, or whatever.

Well said, sums up the entire ‘I hate the BBC and I should be able to choose everything it airs because it costs me £12 a month’ argument.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Its clearly more about the decision making process, and those that make the decisions, that should be drawn into question.

As is, it’s on every slot of BBC News bulletins today. So thats either slick self promotion, which the BBC are becoming annoyingly good at, or other factions in the BBC are a little bit annoyed about the whole ComDrom.

£12 a month is worth it for every programme on BBC4, 1/2 of them on BBC2.

legend
    Free Member

Pigface – Member
    Who was the fat bloke who was on before May, he got axed pretty smartish.

Took 2 attempts to get right rememeber. Jason Dawe was briefly in, but didn’t fit in with the others at all so was replaced by Hammond

deepreddave
    Free Member

Nope. Same here.
    Stopped watching TG series ago when it morphed into dumbed down teenage trash tv. Suspect the accountants at the Beeb will ensure it stays that way as income streams talk. I can live with that as I know where the buttons are for the other channels.
    People earning more than me is annoying though. Wish I had more talent/work ethic/luck.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’m personally only interested to see where Clarkson/May/Hammond go as it’s them I am interested in not the BBC show. Top Gear was hopeless before.

Good for Chris Evans, after loosing his job for being a drunk he’s come through that and this contract must be worth £10m over three years and he’s not giving up his other show/job either

MoreCashThanDash

I quite enjoy the revamped post alcoholic Chris Evans. And he loves cars. Depends if he can stop it becoming the Chris Evans Car Show.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Just listened to CE talking about the TG ‘story’. He originally ruled himself out as he’s friends with the 3 others and didn’t want to get used as a pawn in the politcal process that was going on. Once H & M ruled themselves out he was called again to discuss it (last Thursday).

Interstingly him and May are very good friends (just been on hols together) and they are meeting to chat about TG very soon. I’d be a happy bunny if May came back – he makes me laugh.

soobalias
    Free Member

wont watch it, irritating g***** t*****
    smug self serving asshat, guaranteed to have me reaching for the remote whatever the subject matter.

the most intolerable thing on the radio at work, makes the care home show with dull bruce seem interesting.

you could say im not a fan.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Good for Chris Evans, after loosing his job for being a drunk he’s come through that

Good point, don’t forget the Drugs escapade too.

Which some conveiniently forget.

v8ninety

Love or loathe Mr Evans, it can’t be denied that he produces very popular and marketable material. He’s very, very good at his job.

And as soon as people bring his hair colour into their argument, they’ve basically lost their argument and shown how their mind works. Take a good hard look at yourselves. It’s a bit worrying that because it’s not socially unacceptable to slag off ginger people so many people jump on that band wagon. Makes me wonder what they think but don’t say out loud when a woman or heaven forbid, someone black gets given a decent job.

And yes I know that being ginger isn’t a ‘protected’ minority, but it is a physical appearance dictated by genetic heritage. So I say it once more; Take a good hard look at yourselves, please.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

TG was stale and formulaic long before JC went off on one, so Chris Evans, who knows what he is talking about and has shown some signs of growing up, unlike JC, is a welcome change.

And I agree with v8ninety – not a redhead myself, but my partner and her kids are, and I think it is absolutely pathetic when people use hair colour as a pejorative label.

natrix
    Free Member

Paul Merton and Kate Humble as co-presenters – now that would be worth watching!!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

And yes I know that being ginger isn’t a ‘protected’ minority, but it is a physical appearance dictated by genetic heritage.

Being ginger is a lifestyle choice.

deepreddave
    Free Member

And it’s a good one. .

fasthaggis
    ahwiles
    Free Member

sharkbait – Member

I’d be a happy bunny if May came back – he makes me laugh.

and (i think) he’s really quite likeable when he’s away from Clarkson.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Chris Evans confesses to ‘colouring’ his hair red after it went white

“He’s always been proud of his fiery locks – and Chris Evans has confessed that he’s dyed his hair back to its original red after it went almost white.”

With the easy availability of contact lenses he doesn’t have to wear glasses either.

Sometimes I think the ginger four-eyed git does it on purpose just to wind me up.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 220 total)

The topic ‘Chris Evans to lead Top Gear line-up’ is closed to new replies.