Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 3mm difference in ERD on rims, can I re-use spokes?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi Chaps,

With a 3mm difference in rim ERD, can I re-use the spokes on my current wheelset to port across to a different rim.

That would be a 1.5mm difference in radius, as the spokes only go half way around the wheel.

Cheers

Ricks

cyclelife
    Free Member

You should get away with that as long as the spokes don’t already protrude through the nipples?

rickon
    Free Member

Ah, I’m going from 603mm ERD at the moment, down to 600mm ERD.

mintimperial

You could use 14mm or 16mm DT Swiss nipples. Got to be DT Swiss, though – they have longer threads inside them so they’ll give you an extra mm or two to play with. Other brands don’t have the longer threads as far as I know. I’ve done this myself to reuse spokes in the past and it worked fine. Personal use only though…

dudeofdoom

I reckon its a suck it and see…ERD is nominal 🙂

mintimperial

Ah yes. Do measure the actual rim rather than taking the manufacturer’s quoted number as gospel.

cyclelife
    Free Member

You could use 14mm or 16mm DT Swiss nipples. Got to be DT Swiss, though – they have longer threads inside them so they’ll give you an extra mm or two to play with. Other brands don’t have the longer threads as far as I know. I’ve done this myself to reuse spokes in the past and it worked fine. Personal use only though…

Unless I’m pissed already – the spoke length will need be shorter therefore the present spokes will be too long and protrude through the nipples? You may find that the nipples won’t tighten the spokes if you run out of thread!

rickon
    Free Member

Yep, totally. New spokes it will be!

dudeofdoom

Yep your right but sometimes theres a little bit of fudge factor…cant remember but theres a tiny bit of leeway that you can exploit and the spoke size could have been rounded up or down by the wheel builder.

Its why I reckon its a suck and see ..

mintimperial

Unless I’m pissed already – the spoke length will need be shorter therefore the present spokes will be too long and protrude through the nipples?

*rereads thread properly*

Oh. Ah. Yes. Ignore me, sorry! Duh.

aracer
    Free Member

Only if spokes are currently recessed at least a mm below the top of the nipple. Generally You only get about a mm of spoke protruding before bottoming the threads.

takisawa2

I’d plough on regardless. 😕

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘3mm difference in ERD on rims, can I re-use spokes?’ is closed to new replies.