Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 36 hour races?
  • rolfharris
    Free Member

Does such a thing exist? It seems that a fairly average human being can survive 24 hours. But how about something really special in terms of constant effort- I know things like the transwales exist, and the transrockies, but 36, or even 48 hours of constant effort?

Who'd be game for it?

singlespeedstu

Why not try the GDR.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

get a girlfriend

Smee
    Free Member

That as a pair or a quad would be fun. Solo would be hell.

Houns

Rob – Member

get a girlfriend

Goan – Premier Member

That as a pair or a quad would be fun. Solo would be hell.

😯

rolfharris
    Free Member

I like pairs. Agree solo would be a real nightmare, but i bet there's some folk out there that could do it.

Rob- they stop you riding your bike, don't they?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

riding bikes Vs riding women = Riding bikes is best then you are truly gay luke

rolfharris
    Free Member

I'd love to say bikes are less of a pain in the arse, but that'd be a lie wouldn't it? I need a rest from women, and it's really got me fired up for being fit again.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

lol

njee20
    Free Member

There's definitely one, remember seeing it advertised. I think pairs is harder than solo physically, but solo is the toughest mentally fo sho!

nickc

pairs is tough, no real rest at all.

njee20
    Free Member

Exactly, and you have to ride fast, with solo you just keep plodding!

aracer
    Free Member

It's the boredom which would be the big problem. I've done ~36 hour races (also done rather longer ones, but you tend to stop and sleep for a couple of hours after the first 24-30 hours if doing one of those), so it's certainly physically possible, but they involved multi-disciplines and navigating unmarked terrain rather than riding round in circles.

If you really do want something longer than a 24 hour race rather than simply wanting to ride round in circles for a bit longer, then try adventure racing (sadly there don't seem to be any continuous races of that sort of length in the UK at the moment – was always my favourite length – you'll have to enter the Adidas Terrex race if you want something longer, and that's 4 days long).

rolfharris
    Free Member

Don't really want to do adventure racing, and I find that riding around inc ircles suits me well (which is why I was crap at the Kielder 100!).

Found solo a bit of a steady plod but pairs does do terrible things to my body. But where 24 hours is very difficult solo, it's only fairly difficult in a pair, which is where this idea's come from.

Something tells me that if there was enough of a show of interest then the team that organised Kielder would be keen, just for the sheer stupidity of it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘36 hour races?’ is closed to new replies.