Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 35/40mm stems??
  • aroche
    Free Member

Thinking of changing from a 50mm to 35mm or maybe 40mm, – just to give it a try,.
    Anyone running one?
    Anyone try one, not like it and go back?

tomhoward

Had one (35mm) on an intense slope style, combined with 785 bars. Great for tight stuff, assuming the bars fit thru the trees, but felt cramped the rest of the time. On a 50mm with 760mm bars now on its replacement, feels much better if I’m honest. Depends on the tt length I guess.

aroche
    Free Member

Top tube should be plenty long in my case.
    How was steering, did it feel sketchy, or to quick at all?

creamegg
    Free Member

Went from 75mm to 35mm and wished id have done it sooner. Didnt find the steering twitchy at all. Main reason i wanted a shorter stem was to push my weight slightly back which it has done and helps on drops and jumps

tomhoward

Nah felt fine, what bars would you use?

aroche
    Free Member

Renthal, 760 or 780

ricky1
    Free Member

Went from a 70 mm to a 50 mm the other week,much more responsive,the head angle it quite steep on my frame but the shorter stem compensated for it,now i can hit steeper stuff with confidence,cured my bad back also.

tomhoward

Should be fine then, obvs the narrower you go the faster/twitchier it will steer, down to personal preference there. What bike/useage?

aroche
    Free Member

Currently on a Transition Bandit (and a Mega, now just sold), but shorter stem would be for a Canyon Spectral CF which is on order. Spectral is a bit longer n the top tube than I am used to, -comes with 50mm Renthal stem. Thinking a 35mm short stem might be the ticket

chiefgrooveguru

If your bars have a fair bit of rise then rolling them back can take 5-10mm off the effective stem length. Cheaper and easier to try than buying a shorter stem!

deviant
    Free Member

40mm Spank stem on my main bike, rode my other one in the week that has a 60mm stem, hated it and ordered a 40mm Husselfelt which arrived this morning, fitted it and went for a ride…. much better, won’t be going back to long stems.
    The steering is just so much better with a short stem, not twitchy at all.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

If you have the tt length then 35mm feels awesome very direct.

Tracey

We changed over to 35mm stems earlier this year from 70mm ones. Wish we had done it earlier. Got 3 El Guapos from one one, and a 40mm from Funn.

andyecc
    Free Member

Which model Bandit are you on at present?
    I’ve just switched from 70mm to 35mm on my new Bandit – it handles much better now.
    Previously didn’t like stems that short but the longer top tub on the new Bandit really makes it work. I fitted new wider bars at the same time which I think also helps.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’ve got a short torso, and long legs, and a long 20″ frame; i can get away with a 35mm stem (an el guapo).

i wouldn’t say that there’s a massive difference in ‘feel’ between my 35mm stem, and the 50mm / 70mm stems that preceded it.

ok, some difference, but not massive – and it’s not better, or worse, just different.

the best thing, is that the bike fits me better know.

in other words, the 15mm difference from the 50mm, made a bigger difference to my position on the bike than it did to the way the steering felt.

yes try a 35mm stem, but for exactly the same reason why should also try a 60/70/80mm stem.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘35/40mm stems??’ is closed to new replies.