Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 165 total)
  • £35m for Andy Carroll (Toon>Liverpool)
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Hey ivixxiv, Wikipedia called and they want their content back.

binners

Best young perspective goalscorer in the premiership at the moment: Hernandez. Scouted by the grand-master in the dark arts for was it $7million?

Makes The whole Torres/Carrol saga look even sadder. Carrol is definitely five times the player. Old bacon-face strikes again eh fred 😉 We’ll win this year and carry on winning with this farce going on! Happy days 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes fred [ very rude swear word ferguson] gets all upset about someone being rude to him ah bless. Have you heard of karma? Footy still brings out the ranty old fred of old..I do miss him
    persoanlly Torres for 50 m is superb deal on current form and if you cannot hold on to him. Caroll for 35 m is a huge gamble and only time will tell. Personally I am not even sure he is worth 15 m on present record and makes the bent deal look a snip

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Have you bin drinking, Binners? 🙄 Give it a couple of years; Bacon Face retires, Man U are skint, go into administration, have to sell all their talent, have no money to buy new players, have to sell their stadium to developers then pay rent to use it, sink down the table, get relegated, spend decades in the wilderness, and Man City fayns will be laughing to their graves.

You know that isn’t all that impossible, either. This could be your last season of any success, for a long, long time. You know it too, don’t you? £700m and rising….

If Chelsea hadn’t offered such a ridiculous sum for Torres, Liverpool wouldn’t be paying £35m+ for Carrol.

As I said; when it all pans out, Liverpool could end up with a net spend of just £10m or so, and have 2 or three decent new players. Torres isn’t irreplaceable. No one is. Ask David Beckham…

Chelsea are looking at spending over seventy million pounds tonight. If they then don’t win owt this season, that could prove very costly indeed…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Come on, I can’t really hope to take your point of view seriously

No, I think that’s clear enough. I’ll be losing sleep over it.

(My post to which you refer was missing some smileys to indicate that I was being sarcastic. Too late to edit now).

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Yes, but the Premier League is rubbish Fred.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

David Beckham…

And somewhere up north, a nicotine starved graphic designer gets wood.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

When do the financial fair play rules come into effect? You know the ones that stop clubs who have made huge losses from spending huge sums on players…

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

SBZ – fairly soon I think – UEFA were proposing 2012? No doubt it’ll drag on in the courts for a bit with the likes of Chelsea and City looking to get round things. UEFA may need to be careful the clubs don’t rebel and form their own Euro super league….in my opinion.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think it’s next season. The interest alone on Man U’s debts would see them in serious trouble. Man City and Chelsea’s owners can simply cancel their debt, but the Glazers aren’t in that luxurious position.

ivixxiv
    Free Member

End of this season the rules kick in regarding transfer spending, the full rules start at the beginning of the 2012 season

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I wonder why FIFA/UEFA don’t consider a transfer budget cap like the budget cap in F1? Say, £50m per season per club? Would mean that clubs could either spend all their money in the summer, or keep some for the January window.

Also, what about squad size limits, like in International competition? Say, 25-30 players per team per season? Would stop the huge squad sizes that Man U and Chelsea especially enjoy. And the luxury big clubs have of having cup squads, European squads, etc. Plus it might put an end to clubs buying up players so their rivals can’t have them, then loaning them out to lower teams.

Jamie
    Free Member

£50m per season per club?

That would do Arsenal for about 5 years.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Elf – for the Champions League the clubs have to name no more than 25 players that can play in the comp.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That would do Arsenal for about 5 years.

Would that pay for one of the seats in the middle tier of The [insert sponsor’s name] atmosphere-lite Stadium for five years?

binners

LOL at DD 😀

Fred: ‘IF’ they don’t win owt? Are you for real? What exactly are they going to win. You’re not even going to get near the Champions league places. Spend what you like. You’re a mid table team. At best 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

Would that pay for one of the seats in the middle tier of The [insert sponsor’s name] atmosphere-lite Stadium for five years?

Yes. You’re awesome. Happy?

Obviously Arsenal are the only team to have corporate boxes. The thing is, those little compromises, along with the Highbury developments now turning a profit are the reason why:

The group’s overall net debt has been reduced from £297.7m to £135.6m. That contrasts sharply with the £716m borrowed against Manchester United and their own stake in the club by the Glazers.

Sauce.

binners

Also, what about squad size limits, like in International competition? Say, 25-30 players per team per season?

Fred: Pay attention fella. That’s been the case since the start of the season. Or did you not see the furore about the donkey lashers being fined for fielding a second rate team? The very same second rate team that beat you home and away this season.

You scousers really are the gift that never stops giving 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Probbly not DD. It’s proper spensive is Highbury The Emirates. So much so that Arsenal fayns I know have given up going to matches. I remember going to see Arsenal v Liverpool, league cup game about 20 years ago or more, cost a pound cos I looked under 16. 😀 And the Arsenal fayns were so quiet, all you could hear for most of the game was the few thousand or so travelling LFC fayns. It wasn’t called ‘The Library’ for nothing…

Not now though. Highbury is posh flats now. And apparently, according to the Arsenal fayns I know, the Emirates is devoid of atmosphere. And that’s Arsenal fayns talking. 😆

Lovely big new stadium, all flash and shiny – empty trophy room so far…

Jamie
    Free Member

Elfin.

Why write fayns?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

empty trophy room so far…

Never mind. They’re turning a profit. That’s the important thing.

You scousers really are the gift that never stops giving

You stick to the designering stuff binners. Leave the copy to the clever lads. That’s the umpteenth time you’ve used that line.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Look at Binners getting all twitchy! 😆

You know I’m right about Man U’s spiralling debts, don’t you? You’re stuffed mate. Give it a couple of years, and you’ll be calling yourselves Newton Heath again…

A Manchester United fayn, earlier:

Jamie
    Free Member

Never mind. They’re turning a profit. That’s the important thing.

Have Arsenal not won anything for 5 years? Weird. You would have thought there would have been something in the papers, or on the telly, or on forums etc?

Strange.

Anyways. The stability that actually being financially viable, having the the second longest serving manager in in recent times and consistently being in the top 3 of the league as well as progressing past the group stages of the Champions League is actually not too bad. I can live with it.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Fayns.

Y’know, fayns, Jamie. Inna London Tahyn Stylee…

Like ‘vayn’:

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I can live with it.

It’s no wonder the Emirates is like a graveyard.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Have Arsenal not won anything for 5 years?

Well it’s closer to six actually, but no, they haven’t. Champions League you say?

Oh look the cabinet’s too small to put the fifth one in…

Here you go, so you don’t feel left out:

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s no wonder the Emirates is like a graveyard.

….here is the thing though. Why the bullshit DD/Elfin? I simply posted that Arsenal could get by on a reduced budget to buy in players as Arsene Wenger is very frugal. How does that warrant an attack on a perceived lack of atmosphere or corporate boxes at Emirates?

You want to wind your neck in unless you want to constantly reinforce the boorish stereotype football fans have on STW.

…oh and obviously come across as an extraordinarily thin skinned individual who feels the first form of defensive against an imagined attack is to…well…try, and I use the word loosely…attack.

Anyways, I will leave you 2 to compare trophies or cocks or whatever. Guess the thread has run it’s course.

ivixxiv
    Free Member

Anyway back on topic the long haired woman beater is now the 8th most expensive payer ever. Newcastle have mugged the bindippers right off

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You want to wind your neck in unless you want to constantly reinforce the boorish stereotype football fans have on STW.

Oooh get you. It’s just a chat about football FFS. The footie haterz aren’t going to change their mind…we’re not all like binners 😉 I believe you started the thread…what…as a real discussion about whether Andy Carroll is worth 35 big ones? (That was a rhetorical question). If you’re going to go all high and mighty about your club, at the expense of somebody else’s, then expect the shortcomings of yours to be highlighted too.

Anyways, I will leave you 2 to compare trophies or cocks or whatever. Guess the thread has run it’s course.

LOLcarpetz. Yet another flounce this year. Is this a fashion I’m missing?

You might want to recognise a bit of banter when you see it chappie.

EDIT: Removed threatening language in my response “You want to wind your neck in…” No place for that really.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

If you’re going to go all high and mighty about your club, at the expense of somebody else’s, then expect the shortcomings of yours to be highlighted too.

This. ‘Ooh look at us we’re so clever and frugal and everything’. Yeah, and you ain’t winning owt.

Well, that’s that, it seems. Torres to Chelsea, Carrol to Liverpool. Time will tell, as which was the best bit of business.

Right, let’s start by beating Chelsea at the Bridge (another ground with bugger all atmosphere from the home fayns), then winning all our remaining games, pipping Man U to the title! 😀 Torres breaks a toenail and is out for the rest of the season. Fergie finally explodes and kicks a boot which bounces back off Rooney’s head, and knocks Fergie out. Fergie retires and is put in a nursing home, wibbling about the BBC being out of order and other such nonsense. Emirates is found to have been built incredibly shoddily, is condemned and demolished. Arsenal make an audacious bid to take over the Olympic Stadium, but instead end up on a bit of waste ground round the back of White Hart Lane, next to a old peoples’ home. The atmosphere at home games improves dramatically.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

coming in late here but as a newcastle fan i feel like testing the swear filter

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Now, now…don’t be reinforcing the boorish nature of football fans here 😛

ivixxiv
    Free Member

Ha ha, Torres on joining Chelsea “It is the dream for every top class footballer to play at a top class club and now I can do that”

Contrast with Carroll who didn’t want to leave Newcastle

As Binners said earlier just a mid table club

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

ivixxiv

I seem to recognise this username. Haven’t you been banned a fair few times? Why do you keep coming back?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Good luck to Torres. He’ll be missed on Anfield, but the manner of his departure sours his image as a Liverpool great somewhat. As I said earlier, no player is irreplaceable. He makes way for others to make their mark at the club.

I’d like to see him back to his best, regardless of what club he plays for, for football’s sake. The irony is of course, that he improved dramatically following the departure of Hodgson, and was starting to look like the player of two seasons ago. He’s a moody player, and needs to feel ‘right’, in order to excel. I wonder if any dip in form at Chelsea will see him pushed out to the fringes like so many others at that machine. Schevchenko, anyone? Chelsea are in a slump themselves; if he can’t perform the miracles his price tag might demand, will he be able to settle in and find his place there? At least at Liverpool he knew it would take time for the club to rebuild and mount a strong challenge; at Chelsea he will be expected to be on top form every single moment of every game he plays. Will he cope, if he ends up another astronomically expensive bench-warmer?

As for Carroll and concerns about his temperament; Liverpool have had fiery players in the past. Dalglish played with and then managed Souness, so will be perfectly placed to take Carroll under his wing I’d imagine. Bellamy was more disciplined at Liverpool than perhaps he was at any other club, and even El Hadji Diouf was quite restrained during his time at Anfield. And Carroll will mature, hopefully. He’s not the worst when it comes to his off the field indiscretions…

Carroll and Suarez up front. Quite a good combo on paper, I’d say. The kind Liverpool haven’t had for bloody ages. Let’s hope it becomes a good one in reality.

As for Charlie Adam; I’m not a betting mayn, but I’d tip him to go to Old Trafford next season. Apparently Spuds almost got him, but I reckon Fergie’s working his evil on that one.

Bring it on. Stoke next, then Chelsea….

loddrik
    Free Member

Torres is shite anyway.

As for mid table club. Mid table position maybe, but let’s be honest about this, only Liverpool and the scum have the sort of global following and brand recognition to rival real, AC et al. Having a rich benefactor does not make a ‘big club’, it’s built up over decades. Once we have the stadium we need, Liverpool and united are the only true ‘giants’ of English football. With that in mind, in the medium to long term, we will be right back up there. Where would Chelsea be without abramovic…

They can’t even sell their allocation for away games, how pathetic is that!!! Ha ha ha.

timc
    Free Member

Im pretty gutted Torres has gone tbh, also pretty gutted we have spend £35M on Carrol, it’s a mental gamble imo, suddenly makes Suarez look decent value though…

Still no left back or wide players despite £60M outlay is quite frustrating as well!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Torres is shite anyway.

Don’t be so silly. When he’s on top form, he’s one of the best strikers in the World.

What I will say, is that he did seem a tad lightweight, speshly recently. Knocked off the ball a bit too easily, din’t seem to have quite the confidence he needed to go past defenders. Too scared of picking up yet another injury? I’ve suspected this for some time now.

TBH Liverpool were carrying Torres too often, and relying on him too much. I think it’s a shame that he din’t stay, and forge a partnership with Suarez, but there you go. I think most Liverpool and newcastle fayns would have preferred to see their stars remain, but that’s football. Nothing is permanent really.

loddrik
    Free Member

C’mon, the comment was Tongue in cheek….

I am disappointed, but I won’t miss him. I can’t wait to see Carroll in full flow, big dunc scared the hell out of defenders and he never had players of the quality of Liverpools around him. Torres will not stay injury free, it’s a matter of when not if.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well, after all that, Liverpool have lost Torres, but gained Suarez and Carroll, all for a net spend of just £2m, if you include the Babel deal. This would have been the same if Torres had gone for a more realistc £30m, and Carrol for £15m. It’s Chelsea who’ve really gone ott, ultimately. That’s £71m+ they’ve just spent. 😯 They haven’t sold anyone. Who’s had the best deal?

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 165 total)

The topic ‘£35m for Andy Carroll (Toon>Liverpool)’ is closed to new replies.