Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • 3/4 fat progress
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I received my 80mm rims yesterday, pedalled home with them over my shoulder & built one up in the evening:

36H rim & 32H hub with alloy nipples (all I had in the house) is a fun build, some spokes (revs, again, all I had!) a bit long, but it seems OK. I had to use opposing holes in the rim because they are offset, should make for a stronger wheel. The rims aren[‘t the best quality, not running that true, but it’ll work. I’ll lace the rear more evenly and use some PG spokes I have on another wheel. Looks like the Gazzalodi on the 80mm rim will fit my frame with about 5mm clearance too.

I am excited, and will of course keep you updated as to the build.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Yowzer! whatever bike that is going on is going to be a laugh!!

trail_rat
    Free Member

that does sound scary

i thought my cross lacing on my fat wheels was bad !

cynic-al
    Free Member

Scary how TR?

trail_rat
    Free Member

32 into 36 in a rim like that 😀

nice even tension 😉

whats that weigh ?

worked out my wheels on my fat bike weigh 12lbs all in !

cynic-al
    Free Member

3.4kg = 7.6lb and that’s with a “lightweight” 3″ tube 😮 I’ll lose a whole .75lb drilling too 😎

Agreed re. lacing – I’ll do the next one with 4 x 1 spoke gaps rather than 2 x 2. Like I said this is going on the front. Longer term I’ll re-drill to 32H if I go full fat, just need to work out what that might be (Pug most likely).

epicyclo

Nearly there 🙂

I find the best way to true these fat rims is to get them as true as possible with the spokes slack, and then wind in the nipples evenly. Trying to pull them into line is otherwise nearly impossible.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ta epi…I got them down to say +/- 1.5mm, I’ll try that tonight.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Found the same with my arctic cycle 100s were actually. **** to build – like you say nearly impossible to true!

firestarter
    Free Member

hope it pedals easier than this barsteward did yesterday in the mud 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hopefully a bit FS – it’ll be low-geared to make most of the traction/provide an easy life!

firestarter
    Free Member

i left mine at 32/18 as the circumference was slightly smaller on these than on my 29er but it was still tough going in the sticky mud sections

trail_rat
    Free Member

ive got 34:22 on my sandman …. want it lower for snow i think – 28:22 maybe 😀 (i have a 110mm chainset)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well built up a second wheel, went a lot better using proper nipples and stouter spokes as well as a better lacing pattern. Only 3-4mm clearance at chainstays so not convinced it will work!

Mummy and Daddy fat wheels:

IMAG0296.jpg

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mick – half fat might be shit in mud but we had all sorts ofmud tonight and nearly all the group were convinced of my floating when I rode over a section and David tried to follow me and sunk into his hubs – stopping !

Also bike in water just about floats vertically – certainly not much drag even on fire roads either at 30 psi – wAs keeping up nae bother on 34:22

Grip on loAmy off camber was second to none I’m not even conviced my dh bike woulda been as fAst and grippy

cynic-al
    Free Member

Heh maybe I should use mine at the weekend Enduro

cynic-al
    Free Member

wooh hooh spoke to my frame builder and he’s going to crimp my stays for the tyre 😀

singlespeedstu

*puts chainsay into vice tightens and wacks with a hammer* 😆

firestarter
    Free Member

Terry it was very good on fireroads and in very wet mud but it was the sticky clay type I struggled on , which was most the ride lol oh and the five mile road section home wasn’t great . I was only running 12psi up front and 14 rear so may up the pressure a bit and see how that goes

One thing I did notice is it was a lot smoother than my cx as I did the same route the day after on that I had to pick lines and everything rather than tractor thru 😉

I wouldn’t be surprised if the proper fat tyres roll lighter tho

Btw al that rear rim looks wider than the tyre. Did it increase the width much putting it on a wide rim

trail_rat
    Free Member

thats a larry on 100mm rim for anyone who cares 😉 – the 100mm rim does sit proud and i have managed to blow the tire off the rim once – rollin daryls might be a good investment for me for summer wheels 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

PP – yeah the tyre is not as wide as the rim, but only just. Otherwise I only have a 40mm rim (65-70 might have been perfect) but I’ve not put the Gaz on that yet – hopefully I won’t have to rebuild. From my 2.4 tyre measurements I expect the 80mm rim will have added a few mm to the tyre.

singlespeedstu – Member
    *puts chainsay into vice tightens and wacks with a hammer*

It’s getting squeezed in a vice that’s for sure!

Dave
    Free Member

LOLs at the fatbike-enthusiasm just now, it’s the latest winter-mid-life-crisis activity!

;o)

cynic-al
    Free Member

You noes it!

I fully accept that for me it’s mid-life crisis (ongoing for 4+ years since I got the MX5) and winter & post-break-up blues.

No shame in that!

Dave
    Free Member

ongoing for 4+ years since I got the MX5

oof you got it bad. :o)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tell me about it.

I’m lusting after a Lotus!

trail_rat
    Free Member

nah my quarterlife crisis has definantly been the land rover !

singlespeedstu

Nice trousers there Terry.

I see a patern forming hear.

Man wants Lotus but buys MX5.
    Man wants fatbike but tries to bodge big tyres into skinny frame.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You forgot the internet-argung 😎

singlespeedstu

I didn’t know you were into that. 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Nice trousers Nomex quilted north sea boiler suit there Terry.”

singlespeedstu

Sounds “hot”. 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

IMAG0305.jpg by alan cole, on Flickr

well gave it a spin on the beach. A few points.

The tyres make a great sound on Tarmac
    they consume a great deal of energy in doing so
    the endo self steers to a scary degree (could be pressure or slack head angle)

seems fun but it will need gears!

singlespeedstu

seems fun but it will need gears!

Or mans legs. 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Pfffft.

Any trail, any time, anywhere 😉

Tracker1972
    Free Member

…just not any bike… 🙂

coastkid
    Free Member

That looks good Al 😮

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m up for east coast fat-spins, Bruce.

Woody
    Free Member

Can’t believe how fat the Gazza looks on that rim!

the endo self steers to a scary degree

Don’t be silly, it’s almost slick – get the pressure sorted 😉

Did your man manage to splay as well as flatten the stays? Looks widened enough to have needed some jiggery pokery with the hanger on the inside?

That’s actually damn near full fat – nice work fella 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

nice 😉

PaulD
    Free Member

Al,

I love the Gazza on that set-up.

It was too much on my DH-lite bike and was very hard work on the front wheel…killed my legs.

PaulD

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘3/4 fat progress’ is closed to new replies.