Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 30.9 reverb with a 31.6 shim
  • cp

Now I’ve told myself I need a Reverb, I’d like it to work across two bikes – the C456 with a 31.6 seatpost and the Anthem X29 with a 30.9 post.

USE make a 30.9-31.6 shim – but is anyone using one with a Reverb? Any issues with slippage? Or any other issues for that matter?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

From all the other posts make sure it’s a very long shim.

bigjim

From all the other posts make sure it’s a very long shim.

eh?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If the shim is too short then you can overstress the frame causing it to crack (not a c456 issue but something from other frames)

momo

I ran a 30.9 reverb in my BFe (31.6 ST) with a USE shim, no problems at all.

cp

yeah, the USE shim is longer than most, about 100mm i believe.

cp

thanks momo

bigjim

Ah that kind of post.

I have a USE shim for this very purpose right in front of me and its about 92mm to the bottom to the collar.

bails

I had a 30.9 reverb in a C456 with the USE shim and it was all fine.

D0NK

running a 30.9 reverb across my mix of 31.6 and 30.9 frames, with a use shim where needed, so far so good, early days tho.
    fingers crossed!

cp

cheers all

ade9933
    Free Member

orange 5 and 456C same sizes. yes fine.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Have you ordered the shim yet? I have a USE one in the garage I’d be happy to sell as I’m running 31.6 Reverbs on both bikes now.

jairaj

FYI – I found Superstar’s seat post shims to be a bit longer than than the USE one I had.

cp

Cheers, though they don’t do one in 30.9->31.6 🙁

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

You can home make a longer one. As the 0.7mm difference is the same size as a Tesco 4 pint plastic milk carton.

I used one on my HT as the USE shim slipped with the Reverb – the milk carton was fine, and you can cut it so it’s longer. It was a bitch to fit though.

Slogo
    Free Member

i just bought a 30.9-31.6 shim it was a USE. I had been using a beer can shim.

Item Name: USE SS 30.9mm Seatpost Shims Product Code: HNX7189
    Item ID: 121345
    Item Description:
    Item Style: Seatpost Shim Sizes: 30.9-31.6 / Quantity: 1
    Item Price: 6.99

Winstanley bikes.

mekkenolly
    Free Member

Hi Yetiman, do you still have the shim available? If so would be interested. Thanks

cheers_drive

mekkenolly – If yetiman does not reply I have one which you can have for £5 posted. Paypal gift or a bit extra if non gift.
    My email is in my profile

oldejeans
    Free Member

I bought two USE shims so that the join between them didn’t end up on a weld for the brace between the ST and TT, and to give me >110mm

Bit of a hassle to get them out of the ST though, and get them to sit in the right place before clamping

Andy

Just an observation on the USE thermoplastic ones…they come up undersized. My 27.2-31.6 measured 31.4 and rattled in the seat tube, which I really don’t want with a shimmed seatpost so I binned it and bought a crank bros aluminium which is spot on.

johnhe

I used the USE shim from Winstanleys and used a 30.9 Reverb in a 31.6 bike for a good while and experienced no problems. I wish I’d stuck with that arrangement – instead I bought a specific 31.6 for my BFe, so now I can’t swap it onto my other bikes.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘30.9 reverb with a 31.6 shim’ is closed to new replies.