Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 3 week old Superstar Evo front hub developed play
  • dexterbexley
    Free Member

I have a 3 week old front Superstar Evo hub that has developed a tiny bit of play – Can someone please tell me how to sort it out? New bearings already? Maxle 20mm is in properly and everything was fine and tight for the first two and a half weeks. Please no comments telling me to buy a hope hub.

saladdodger
    Free Member

to be fair should you not of mailed SSC first

saladdodger
    Free Member

to be fair should you not of mailed SSC first

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

Don’t try to “sort” it or you’ll invalidate any warranty. Send it back and ask for a replacement.

steezysix
    Free Member

Definitely the hub? Not a loose allen bolt in the Maxle or loss of spoke tension after riding a bit? If it is the hub, sent it back as others have said. My Switch hubs have been running great for over two years now so don’t think you’re missing out by not having Hope hubs!

dexterbexley
    Free Member

Have mailed SSC, waiting for a reply. Very happy otherwise with the wheels and would recommend, was just hoping there was a quick fix from the stw hive mind.

dexterbexley
    Free Member

Just checked and not the maxle allen bolts or the spokes; slight knocking sound/feeling. I’m sure it’s the hub loosening up after a bit of bedding in – is there anything I can adjust or is it a case of new bearings?

bloodyshins
    Free Member

I’ve heard plenty of similar reports. They are a great hub but come with pretty cheap bearings. Fair enough for the price. Throw some quality bearings in there and job’s a good’un, they should see you for years of service

dawson

Throw some quality bearings in there and job’s a good’un,

..but you shouldn’t need to do that on something that’s only 3 weeks old..

dexterbexley
    Free Member

The wheels are such good value that I don’t mind forking out for quality bearings (even after a v short time) and I don’t want this to become a Superstar bitchfest. Anyone know where I can get good bearings that fit the EVO hubs?

bloodyshins
    Free Member

dawson, It’s a dirt cheap hub from china. The hub body is great quality for the money but something has to give… moon on a stick?

bloodyshins
    Free Member

Your LBS should be able to sort you out with some decent bearings, that’s where I got mine from.

andyl
    Free Member

look in yellow pages for a local bearing stockist. Take them in and they will get you the right ones and advise on best for your use.

composite
    Free Member
    warpcow
    Free Member

Iirc the bearings are 6802-2RS. I replaced the ones in my front hub after about 2 months. Got a cheap 10-pack of bearings from ebay. The new ones have lasted for nearly a year now with no play, and I have 8 left for the future.

The rear hub has lasted well though.

Matt24k
    Free Member

The guy selling those bearing kits on ebay posts on here.
    Kaesae is his user name, email in his profile.
    Contact him direct and save him some ebay fees. Top bloke, top service even though he sometimes comes across as a bit of a hippy. Nothing wrong with being a hippy but IMO it seems to trouble him that he is making a living selling manufactured stuff. If he could knit bearings from hemp he may find the path to true enlightenment man 🙂

nealy
    Free Member

The wheels are such good value that I don’t mind forking out for quality bearings (even after a v short time) and I don’t want this to become a Superstar bitchfest. Anyone know where I can get good bearings that fit the EVO hubs?

The front Switch EVO hub takes 2 x 6804-2RS bearings and the rear takes 4 x 6902-2RS

SKF or FAG are the best bearings which from my searching are cheapest at from AK Bearings as per the below links. I’d be wary buying no-brand bearings from ebay (no offence intended) as I’d assume they are the cheap £1.40 type.

http://www.akbearings.co.uk/product.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=0&P_ID=997&strPageHistory=search&numSearchStartRecord=1

http://www.akbearings.co.uk/product.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=0&P_ID=1002&strPageHistory=search&numSearchStartRecord=1

dawson

It’s a dirt cheap hub from china. The hub body is great quality for the money but something has to give..

Ok, fair enough – I suppose bearings could be seen as ‘consumable’, but to only last 3 weeks?!

If you are happy to replace bearings so quickly on a new item thats up to you, but I’d be sending it back 🙂

composite
    Free Member

The guy selling those bearing kits on ebay posts on here.
    Kaesae is his user name, email in his profile.
    Contact him direct and save him some ebay fees. Top bloke, top service even though he sometimes comes across as a bit of a hippy. Nothing wrong with being a hippy but IMO it seems to trouble him that he is making a living selling manufactured stuff. If he could knit bearings from hemp he may find the path to true enlightenment man.

He’s a good guy. There were some problems with delivery of the bearings I bought and so to say “sorry” he sent me a second kit for free. Great customer service. 🙂

dexterbexley
    Free Member

Superstar replied to my email saying to send the wheel back. I can’t really be arsed with expense/hassle so will try a new set of bearings as it sounds like it’s a common problem. Thanks for all the links and help, will drop Kaesae a line.

zempy

Just been through exactly the sam thing with superstar.

It was my front wheel also, after about 20 rides.

SSC asked me to send the wheels back, but its simply not worth it just to be replace by more cack bearings

Going to order some quality ones off tinterweb.

bigjim

I have some about a year old with no problem so far…touch wood…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘3 week old Superstar Evo front hub developed play’ is closed to new replies.