Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • 3 Peaks Cyclocross – Who's in? What's your tips?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I am doing the 3 Peaks for the 1st time weekend after next 😯

I have been trying to do base miles since early June (health issues stopped me doing anything earlier). Mixed up with shorter harder rides, a bit of running, and in the last month and a half carrying my bike up and down the local moor. Lots of calf stretches too!

I’ve bought some Landcruisers, and got the fattest tubes I can get in them. Chicken levers are fitted as IMO they offer more power with discs and just allow position change. Also put an inner tube on the top tube, not for padding, but actually to keep the bike in place on my shoulder. I will be using a camelbak, 2 tubes, and carrying food etc to eat on the road sections.

Other than that, I am really looking forward to it. It is such an unknown that I have no idea what time I will get around in.

Who else is in, and how’s your training gone, what are your tips?

theteaboy
    Free Member

I’m not riding this year but loved it last time.

The one thing I got absolutely right was dropping a stash of food and drink at the bottom of the PyG lane. Was a big morale boost when I got to it (as I’d had a major mechanical on the road after Ribblehead).

I also did far too much work on the road after Ingleborough and dragged a big group to Whernside.

Remember – it’s supposed to be fun!

qwerty
    Free Member

The road section is a real slow pace at the start, so make sure you get on the front line, that way you’ll get a good approach to Ingleborough.

crazy-legs

What works for me:

The smallest lightest most minimalist CamelBak you can get. In it goes a 1L pouch of water, pump, 2 tubes, gas can and multitool. I hate using a saddle bag on the 3 Peaks, it just rattles around and hits me on the back of the head when I shoulder the bike.

Occasionally the organiser tell you to carry a waterproof if the weather is looking particularly rubbish but it can be worth popping a shell jacket in there anyway – if there are any problems and you’re forced to retire it can be a long cold walk!

The bike has a water bottle of energy drink and I pick up another bottle at Ribblehead. Mount the bottle on the seat-tube, not the downtube. That way it’s much less likely to be ejected and doesn’t get in the way of shouldering the bike.

Back pocket has 3 gels (one per hill!) and sometimes a bar but generally I find if I fuel up well beforehand I can cope for 3.5 – 4 hrs or so on 3 gels and then just have lunch when I get back.

The orange survival bag gets wrapped up and taped under the top tube/seat-tube junction as padding for shouldering the bike.

It’s well worth recce-ing the road start, knowing where the hills and pinch points come. The start is chaotic. Like a road race multiplied by 10 – except that a lot of riders have never ridden in anything more than a race of 60 so having a group of 600 confuses them. There is always:
    one big crash
    two big tyre blowouts
    many thousands of mis-shifted crunching gears
    a lot of squealing brakes and it’s here that you suddenly find the massive difference between rubbish cantis on carbon rims and full hydraulic disc brakes!

But other than that it’s fine. 😉

I’m not racing this year but I’ll be up there watching. Enjoy and good luck!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m absolutely crapping myself 😐

I expect to shit loads thereby reducing a lot of weight 😆

IdleJon

The road section is a real slow pace at the start,

I haven’t done it since ’02 but it used to be a flat-out start, well over 20mph. 🙁

and in the last month and a half carrying my bike up and down the local moor.

You haven’t done enough of this. Nobody ever does enough of this. 😉

Enjoy.

darthshearer
    Free Member

Just enjoy it.

I always spectate on PyG and its great seeing smiles on peoples faces when they know the end is not far away.

Good luck 🙂

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Yeah,
    Crapping it but will try to enjoy it!

mugsys_m8

Good luck everyone!

The start is very tame isn’t it. Nothing like a crit…….

Yep. I will be there, vélo club de la bievré kit red and white and my Uncle John.

3rd consecutive time for me.Last year was a horror show. Rear mech tangled up on simonside in a tumble. Punctures on Ingleborough and Whernside. Descent down to RIbble head on the rims….. After thqt things went smoothly 😉 .

Normally work away so struggle to get training in esp. as it comes 1 month after the annual family touring holiday. Last month I have been qt home this year though. Have been concentrating on the running. Been doing some 20km runs with upto 1300m of vertical. No bike carrying yet this year. Bike is in bits in the garage after smashing up the sti in a storm last weekend. This weekend I have a 6hr team of 2 mountain bike race that we are doing on the crossers.

2013: 5h09
    2014: 5h40
    2015: 4h45hopefully….

simonbowns
    Free Member

I’m in, having been on the reserve list – so only had 3 1/2 weeks notice instead of the 12 weeks training I managed last time. Still really looking forward to it.

Found a dropper post to borrow too!

stever
    Free Member

I’m in, done it a few times and still crapping myself. Take from that what you will 🙂
    There’s some great blog posts over on http://3pcx.blogspot.co.uk/ if you dig back. Don’t get utterly psyched by the road start if you find yourself towards the back and thinking you’re a punter in a pro’s race.

jonba
    Free Member

The start is chaotic but not all that fast if you are used to racing. However, there is always incident or two due to numbers and the various pinch points so keep alert. If you deserve to be near the front you have plenty of time to move up on the road section so don’t stress too much about your position on the road.

You will be walking up the hills not running.

Use the road sections to eat and drink. If you have support get them to hand things to you before you go on the road. Make every effort to get in a working group on the road. IT can be quicker overall to drop back if there is a group behind you. Saves energy for the off road bits.

Pipe lagging – I did it once without and regretted it.

If you are riding unsupported I found a small backpack better than bottle and saddlebags as the terrain takes its toll.

You probably won’t need that many clothes – you should be a little chilly on the start line. Most years I’ve needed nothing other than a summer jersey for warmth.

Pace yourself don’t get caught up in the madness to be fast on the first hills.

There are no prizes for riding. It is a race to the finish. It is often quicker to carry on climbs and really hard bits. A broken wheel or pinch flat will cost you more time than the few seconds to jog the real dodgy bits.

Landcruises are needlessly heavy. You won’t get thorn punctures you’ll get pinch flats from rocks. I’ve always gone on std intermediate/dry tyres (SB8s) and pumped them up to 60-70psi.

Pump up your tyres hard.

Smile for the camera and enjoy yourself. It really is one of the best races out there.

2tyred

I’m in, last year was my first go, finished a few mins over 4 hrs. Hoping for quicker this year, now I know what to expect. Singlespeed last year, same again this year.

Agree with crazy-legs on the fuel – gels and jelly babies did it for me last year. I don’t like a bottle cage on the CX bike, so went for about 1l of drink in a compact camelbak with an isotonic bottle stashed behind a wall in Horton, just before PyG, which I necked in the first 100m of the climb.

Used pipe lagging at the top tube/seat tube junction, will do likewise this year. Tools, tubes, survival bag and everything else in the camelbak.

Toe studs are useful for the way up Simon Fell. Descent off Whernside I found sketchy in places, with the water running over the slab. PyG descent is fantastic.

If you’re after a quick time, you can make up good ground on the road sections.

Can’t wait!

eddie11
    Free Member

OP to be honest if you’ve done all that it will be fine.

Start is fast, everyone lies about their finishing times so get there early if you are going for a time and want to be near the front. don’t dress too warm it’s a fast race and you are only up high briefly. It’s quicker to fell run through parts of the bog coming down ingleborough than it is to get stuck in a queue riding round it. marginal gains and all that. Watch the driving between ribblehead and penyghent its nuts. dont race the belgium singlespeeders on the road they will still beat you. if you figure out how to ride the steps off whernside let me know. breath in the atmosphere going up penyghent lane its amazing.

crazy-legs

breath in the atmosphere going up penyghent lane its amazing.

Try and stay left going up PyG lane or you’ll be hit by all the people coming down!
    Similarly, try and stay left coming back down PyG lane or you’ll hit all the people still going up!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Try and stay left going up PyG lane or you’ll be hit by all the people coming down!
    Similarly, try and stay left coming back down PyG lane or you’ll hit all the people still going up!

I marshelled the bottom of PyG 2 years ago. The biggest idiots were the ‘support crews’. Apparently riders going up and down were irrelevant, so long as they got up the hill to support Johnny Hasbeen 😈

Some helpful stuff above, reassuring… I think

I had heard the start was very fast, so was thinking I should warm up before hand, I normally take a while to warm up, and if I dont it kills me for the rest of a ride. If its moderate pace though I assume the initial controlled start would be enough warm up?

crazy-legs

I had heard the start was very fast, so was thinking I should warm up before hand, I normally take a while to warm up, and if I dont it kills me for the rest of a ride. If its moderate pace though I assume the initial controlled start would be enough warm up?

People will be on the start line for anything up to 30 minutes before the start, as a general rule warm up is pointless. Warm up and start right at the back or don’t warm up and get your place in the correct “area” at the start (you line up roughly according to the time you expect to finish). Although there will always be a few idiots trying to carry bikes through the crowd or push in towards the front, generally they get fairly short shrift.

kilo

Mrs Kilo is doing it for the first time. I think the pre race nerves will increase over the next few days but she’s done a lot of walking up hills with a bike on her shoulder and is usually a bit of a diesel on long tough events so should be ok. She’s going camleback rather than bottle cage, it;s quite tight with a cage on a 48cm frame. Landcruisers fitted and a new bike bought to replce the rather heavy boardman crosser she had.

I think she’s looking forward to it but she does seem to swear at me a bit when the race is mentioned- something about puting her name in without explaining the full story of the race 😀

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

I marshelled the bottom of PyG 2 years ago.

I remember chatting to you Duncan, you’ll do fine. I rode it for the first time last year, and will be back on the start line again next w/e. There’s not a lot to add to the points above, but two things that stick out from my first race are:

1) How early people line up, and where they line up wrt their “estimated” finish time.
    2) Simon Fell is brutal. Nothing could have prepared me for Simon Fell. Just dig in, you’ll get over it.

Last minute tips:

1) Watching as many videos from past events on YouTube really helped me familiarise myself with the course
    2) I recced parts of the course by foot (Whernside and PYG) several weeks before. That was really helpful to know the terrain and also how it felt walking w/o the bike. Maybe too late for you now.
    3) If you’ve not already done so, check you’re happy carrying/riding with a hydration pack. I didn’t like it so opted for a bottle cage, with a refill looked after by my family on PYG Lane.
    4) I carry CO2 canisters in addition to a pump. Quicker if you’re unlucky to have a puncture.

Good luck, and remember to enjoy it.

Sancho
    Free Member

Dont get on the front for the start unless you are planning on being in the to 10
    you will just embarrass yourself and get in the way.

pump your tyres up hard 60 psi
    try get in a group on the road sections, and sit in, better to keep your energy for the hills

enjoy it and remember its a race not a sportive.

ernie

Enjoy it and get over the thoght of curling up ina ball on simons fell. I had thoghts of dnf within the first 30min becuase of that climb.
    The start is fast (at the front). Get a 36t sprocket for the back (bit late now if not already on). Get a new bottle at every opportunity (i didn’t and paid the price). The fell runners will refuse to work with you on the bike sections (or did in my case). Eat throughout the race.
    Above all: enjoy it! Its a brilliant event, fantastic support from walkers, runners, old folk, local road clubs. Its flipping brilliant and i’ll be back next year.

jonba
    Free Member

try get in a group on the road sections, and sit in

Don’t sit in. Work together. Roll through and do shorter turns. No one likes a passenger and if everyone sits in you grind to a halt.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Fit Stans Grails rims and run tubeless, disc brakes.

Personally their is too much faffing and walking for me so I stay clear.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

2nd the getting in a group on roads, roll through so everyone takes a turn and it’ll go much quicker. as mentioned, you’ll fail to get a turn from the fell runners on the road, so catch them on the decent and drop them like a stone.

rjmccann101

My tip is that there aren’t any tips that will prepare you for how tough this will be 🙂 However Dean Barnett has some more useful tips here.

kilo

If one wants to go and see some of the race (and give the wife some support)would chucking a roadbike in the back of the van for me to cycle from the start be a better choice rather than trying to drive?

The mrs is using a hydration pack so should be self sufficient for food and water so it’s not a support role as such.

ianfitz
    Free Member

I’ll be marshalling at rownsley leap so wave as you pass 🙂

crazy-legs

If one wants to go and see some of the race (and give the wife some support)would chucking a roadbike in the back of the van for me to cycle from the start be a better choice rather than trying to drive?

Yes, it’s dead easy to ride round and spectate/support, I’ve done it a few times. Just watch out for the actual competitors and don’t get in the way. Don’t try and drive, there’s never anywhere to park and some of the behaviour of the drivers as they hurtle round trying to park and desperate to unload bikes/wheels leaves a lot to be desired!

MKII
    Free Member

Hi All,

I want to clarify a couple of points raised above re: the start.

1. Line up at the start. There will be a change this year and riders will line up in expected finish times based on entry form details and historical times. The race numbering system has been revised accordingly and, broadly speaking, the lower the number, the faster the expected finish time. There will be start pens for <3h30, <4h etc… with clear direction on who (i.e. which numbers) should be in each start pen. This change is as a result of feedback from BC and competitors alike. The feedback has been that some of the recent crashes have been partly contributed to by slower riders moving back through the field during the neutralised start rather than holding position. By getting everyone in the right place, we should hopefully minimise this effect somewhat.

2. Start speeds. It’s difficult to state the exact speed at which the bunch will travel and this is at the discretion of the Chief Commissaire. Ideally we want to keep a nice steady pace of c.15 mph. Problems can arise at a steady pace when we riders moving up start to bunch out over the white centre line. One option is for the commissaire to increase the speed which does line out the bunch naturally. If riders didn’t infringe on crossing the white centre line then we wouldn’t have the issue of variable speeds. Riders crossing the white centre line (along with illegal training on the cycling exclusion zone) are the two biggest risks to the future of this race…I just can’t stress that enough.

So…to help with the start – please line up in your expected time (and not all alongside Rob Jebb), and ride sensibly and consistently in the bunch without crossing the white centre line.

High pressure weather front is forecast and the long range doesn’t seem too bad for the weekend.

Hope you all have a great race.

MR

Spin
    Free Member

pump your tyres up hard 60 psi

Unless you’re running tubeless,weigh about 5 stone or have mega floaty skills that will be too low to avoid pinch flats. Grip isn’t an issue but pinch flats very much are. I put 85 psi in mine.

Spin
    Free Member

It’s quicker to fell run through parts of the bog coming down ingleborough than it is to get stuck in a queue riding round it.

This is a good point. It can quite often be quicker to run down some bits rather than ride them.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Spin – Member
    pump your tyres up hard 60 psi….
    I put 85 psi in mine.

I’d struggle to get 60psi in my griffos’ 😮
    Maybe Limus are for the day 🙄

As is I did more trianing over the weekend, I got off the bike maybe ten times and I pushed it for about 200mtrs up a really stiff/steep crumbly rock strewn path where I shouldered it for the last 75mtrs.

Clearly I’m well set up for this mammoth rideout 😐

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I put 85 psi in mine.

With Landcruisers and 35-42 tubes, at the weekend I was riding up and down Ilkley Moor with 70 psi on stone slabs very much like that coming off Whernside. There was a tiny bit of give rather than being rock solid. I weigh 80kgs.

It can quite often be quicker to run down some bits rather than ride them.

As part of training I ran a Whernside loop, and already thought it would be quicker to run down the majority of the section from summit. Those drainage channels just look like too much of a pinch puncture waiting to happen.

2tyred

There will be a change this year and riders will line up in expected finish times based on entry form details and historical times

Nice one – I had no idea what to expect last year and started close to the back (partly because I’d had an extra half hour in bed, but still) as I couldn’t figure out what the deal was.

IdleJon
    kilo

IdleJon – Member

http://grit.cx/competition/2015/09/one-sunday-in-yorkshire

Good luck to anyone who’s going.

Have to keep off this thread now – I’m hoping the Mrs doesn’t see that article; “the descent where riders break legs and heads….” 🙂

luffy105
    Free Member

I’ll be marshalling at Cold Cotes again this year and will be randomly shouting encouragement. Give the big lad a wave as you pass 🙂

Good luck to all of you competing!

IdleJon

Yeah be careful, kilo. That’s the drop off Pen-y-ghent, it’s rocky and fast. I’ve double punctured thete but the reason I wrote about broken legs and heads is that in different races I’ve seen a bloke with nasty head injuries being attended by paramedics and another who had apparenyly broken both ankles. (Although being pre-internet that was just written in a mag months later…)

johnx2
    Free Member

Oh shit.

Sorry, that’s it. That’s my contribution. Telling myself this year’s a recce, and I’ll give it a proper go next time. I may have over tapered.

kilo

IdleJon – Member

Yeah be careful, kilo. That’s the drop off Pen-y-ghent, it’s rocky and fast.

I’ll be fine – I’m not racing the wife is 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘3 Peaks Cyclocross – Who's in? What's your tips?’ is closed to new replies.