Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 3 nights in Bangkok
  • jockhaggis
    Free Member

3 nights/2days in Bangkok. What should I see and do?

Sights, restaurants, shops.

Mrs. will be with me, keep it clean. 😉

DT78
    Free Member

Buy a guide book 🙂

Lots and lots to see and do.

Grand Palace and Wat Po (I think that's what it is called) are the two I would do again. Boat ride down the canals was good too.

Watch out for the con artists. They will try to claim the grand palace is closed (for a buddhist holiday in our case) and try to get you to go to some of the smaller sites via shops where they will try to hard sell you stuff. We knew about this and still nearly fell for it as the guy was so convincing.

Also in the Grand Palace there are free guides (on the hour I think) so don't get conned into paying for one on the way in.

I would really recommend getting a hour massage at Wat Po – it sorted my back right out.

The reclining buddha is huge too –

Was there in Nov/Dec btw

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Got 4 guide books DT78.

Cheers for the recommendations.

The Wat's are in the list, as is a massage.

Also heading for Skybar or Vertigo for dinner/drinks.

Was told of the taxi drivers trying to take you for suits. Will be in guard.

DT78
    Free Member

Oh yea the skybar is awesome. Pretty pricely though. We were going to eat up there too but spent all our cash for the night on cocktails. They greet you in ballgowns so go smart(ish) I felt a bit underdressed.

We also got told off for videoing the view!

There is a really nice north india restaurant close by which is very reasonable – name escapes me but we got it out of a guide book

A tuk tuk ride is an 'experience' as well 🙂

You'll have a great time!

bananaworld
    Free Member

Mrs. will be with me

No probs: the ladyboys can do something for everyone.

flip
    Free Member

Hang out in the train station, it's a real eye opener.

Pretty much everywhere there's something happening, Patpong is a cliche'd must. But be careful 😉

flip
    Free Member

Oh and don't let the tuk tuk drivers take you to clothes/jewellery/relgious icon shops, it's a hard sell 👿

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Cheers peeps.

Soooo excited!

😀

piha
    Free Member

Hire a taxi and get him to show you round. Agree a price per day, including gas, sit back and let the driver do all the work. This worked well for me and I was there for the same length of time as you.

KT1973
    Free Member

….and the world's your oyster

coolhandluke
    Free Member

We did the Grand palace (amazing) and Thai Kick Boxing. We paid £10 for the front row seats but the "cheap" seats looked much more interesting as they seemed to be having so much fun up there, behind their wire mesh screens.

Tuk Tuks are an experience not to be missed but they will rip you off, probably to the tune of £2 or £3 so don't let it worry you. Meter taxi's are best value and air conditioned but not as much fun.

Patpong night market is an experience too. Go into one of the bars and have a look at what some of the girls can do with ping pong balls, ribons, mice 😯 etc. If they offer you a balloon, politely decline before the girl starts shooting "air" powered darts at it.

Generally be aware of what and who is around you (as in any major city) and you'll be fine. We've been twice and never had a problem there.

Pigface
    Free Member

Chinese market was mayhem in a cool way.

soops
    Free Member

Patpong 1 and Patpong 2
    Tuk tuk's are a must but don't buy any gems!
    You could go down to Khao san road, the travellers area. If it still is!
    Get a bus route guide and get on the oldest looking bus you can, always good fun for a penny or two!
    Have fun

liquid1000
    Free Member

Cabbages and Condoms restaurant – gorgeous food and ethically brilliant! Seriously we have been back a couple of times when staying in Bangkok, its a great atmosphere and beautiful surroundings, the last time we were there they had university music students there playing who were amazing and the food is fantastic. Its very popular with locals and tourists. It was set up to fund sexual health services and reduce spread of HIV. Trust me google it!

vdubber67
    Free Member

Khao San road is a good introduction to Bangkok…All the major temples worth a visit, but one really cool one, slightly more off the beaten track is Wat Saket. Go up there early in the morning – it's cool….

Philby

As above – also Jim Thompsons House is worth a visit, and there is an amazing market which is held on either a Saturday or Sunday which you can get the Skyway train to. Trip on one of the canal buses is also fun.

Thai massage definitely recommended.

bruneep

roundwheels
    Free Member

Bangkok
    usekok
    bangwife

tails
    Free Member

yeah get a tuk tuk and get him to pull a wheelie!! I just eat street food or go to tiny cafes non of these posh
    restaurants, you wanna eat with the locals. Muay thai worth a look at lumpini (better during the week) markets are a must see. If you want counterfeit there is loads everywhere, fake cloths, fake software, fake mini iphones right alongside real shops.

Do Not – whatever you do don't bet money you'll beat a 9 year old at thumb war, you'll lose.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘3 nights in Bangkok’ is closed to new replies.