Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 3 month old freehub failure
  • Monster101

Took delivery of my Cube Stereo with Sun Ringle wheel set in Feb and due to work commitments not been out on it was often as I would have liked. Probably done around 100 miles, never been jet washed, only hose deliberately staying away from bearings.

Climbing up Carron Valley tonight and catastrophy after first climb! Crack, cranks now spinning with no engagement of the freewheel. Looking at inter web, sun ringle demon hubs seem to be pish and this happens a lot. Would have thought that it shouldn’t fail after 3 months and 100 miles.

Is this a warranty job? Don’t fancy having to pay £60 for a new freehub plus labour. Problem is that I bought the bike via Hargroves Cyclesmail order.

Any ideas?

cyclistm
    Free Member

Contact Hargroves and see what they say.

Just had the same happen on my 2013 cube stereo, which is only 8 weeks old (clearance buy) and with the same sun ringle hub.

Sorted under warranty and cube (well their uk distributor) fitted a nukeproof generator unit as a replacement.

Lbs advised they have had a few of these sun ringle units go on them.

Would definitely put a claim in.

Just be mindful that as per normal for cube, it will be a min 2 week turnaround.

tomaso
    Free Member

A mate’s Canyon has Sun RIngle charger wheels and they seem to be made of cheese. Axle went and he replaced it himself while waiting for Canyon to sort it and then the freehub dumped its guts and ground away vital internals rendering it a bad ornament. Canyon sent him a replacement wheel but he bought a Hope flow as he couldn’t be arsed with more failure.

cookeaa

Is this a warranty job? Don’t fancy having to pay £60 for a new freehub plus labour. Problem is that I bought the bike via Hargroves Cyclesmail order.

Any ideas?

Contact Hargroves Cycles? No really…

Monster101

Thanks guys, onto Hargroves tomorrow, (really 😉 )

Will try and push for upgrade, alternative.

Thanks

martinxyz
    Free Member

Just be mindful that as per normal for cube, it will be a min 2 week turnaround.

Cube can send anything they stock to anywhere in the U.K. in approx 4 days without a problem. The Sun Ringle hub will be dealt with by their U.K. distributor. Same goes for the likes of a fox fork – Mojo. Etc etc.

Monster101

Update, spoke to Hargroves, they have confirmed warranty is based on when I bought the original bike jan 13, not when I received warranty replacement with new wheels in Feb 14 so despite only having the wheels three months free hub is not covered.

Nightmare!

They have asked me to complete a warranty form anyway but don’t hold out much hope.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Good old Pube.

weeksy

they have confirmed warranty is based on when I bought the original bike jan 13, not when I received warranty replacement with new wheels in Feb 14 so despite only having the wheels three months free hub is not covered

Don’t blame CUBE, that’s the UK rules. Your warranty doesn’t start again when you get a new part. Always from the date of purchase. Even if you get a whole new bike with 1 day left… you still only have 1 day on the new bike.

warpcow
    Free Member

Contact Sun Rungle and see what they say. Seen it a couple of times now that they’re far more amenable to keeping customers happy than bike manufacturers.

martinhutch

Support

See number 9 on this page.

Two years warranty in EU for a manufacturing fault. You could certainly make the case that failure of a brand new freehub in normal conditions in 100 miles points to this.

ie Give Sun Ringle a call and see what they have to say.

Monster101

Hargroves have stated they have spoken to Hotlines, they are using original purchase date rather than the hub supply date and refusing warranty.

Absolute crap! Plus no-one has the freehub part in stock!

Anyone fought this type of thing successfully?

eshershore
    Free Member

@monster

Free hub failure after 3 months?

I’d be onto the retailer ‘bike not fit for purpose’ either replace the wheel in a reasonable timeframe (2 weeks) or please collect the bike as I want a full refund.

Anything else is typical b.s. cycle retailers think bike buying public will accept as normal. Any other retail business this would be unacceptable, if I bought a television or washing machine and it failed in 3 months I would expect replacement or refund 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘3 month old freehub failure’ is closed to new replies.