Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 2×10 set up ?
  • excitable1
    Free Member

I’m going over from a 3×10 22-33-44 set up to a 2×10 28-42 and adding a chain device.

I started out with the 26-39 which seems to be the norm, but the culmination of a few things means I now have all the parts for a 28-42 (don’t ask !)

Anyone else using the 28-42 set up ? am I going too big and am I going to miss the smaller rings too much ?

cp

dunno, depends where you ride, how fit you are etc..! If you’re feeling the need for a higher gear than 39 is giving you, then it does suggest you’ll benefit 🙂

excitable1
    Free Member

Yes I do consider myself quite fit. I do lots of big stuff once a week in the Peaks, Lakes and North Wales and the routes average 50k. I obviously use the smallest granny ring for the hardest of climbs and very rarely use the big ring on the current 3x set up.

Don’t get me wrong I’m prepared to give it a go with the 42 and I appreciate that the 28 will probably improve the fitness again but I was just a bit worried I was buying a new outer ring in the 2x that I’d never use again and end up missing that super granny for the big big climbs.

I suppose I want someone to say that I wont notice much of a difference on the 28 bottom gear compared to the bottom gear on the 22 ring and the 42 ring is amazing on the downs !

cp

How about 26-42? Though it sounds like 26-39 is pretty good for what you’re doing. With the 39 are you finding you run put of high gears at the back?

alfabus
    Free Member

I’m running 28-40 (with an 11-36 on the back) on my xc bike…. finding it really nice to ride with.

I tend to ignore granny rings on all but the steepest of climbs, so the 28 ring is a much better ring for me. Low enough to winch up stuff, but big enough to be of more general use.

Equally the 40 is a nice balance of low enough to pedal up stuff, but high enough for me to not feel spun out on down or flat road.

HTH
    Dave

excitable1
    Free Member

CP – stuck with the 28-42 rings now, cranks and rings are already here but they can be changed later on without changing the spider (just checked) if I’m not getting on with the set up. The way I go through chain rings I won’t have to live with the wrong choice for long. You’re probably right though, a 26-39 would have have suited me better. I definitely do feel I run out of gears on the current 33 if I stay in the middle ring, so I did need some more.

alfabus – 12-36 at the back but you make a good point. I very rarely sit down for the ups and when I’m doing that the 22 is way too small. When do you need the 22 ?……. those last long road climbs at the end of a trail ! (Sounds like you’re getting on fine with a 28)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘2×10 set up ?’ is closed to new replies.