Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 2×10 / chain device question
  • solman
    Free Member

do you need a chain device if you switch to a 2×10 set up?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

no

woody74

Yes in my experience as the chain constantly wants to jump off. If I am wrong I would love to know how to get around needing a chain device

bol

I run 2×10 on both my MTBs and while I don’t have chain devices fitted, I think they would be beneficial, particularly on the full suss which is prone to dropping its chain on the really rough stuff. I’ve been looking at the Bionicon dangler style things, and will probably give one a go when I can find them in stock somewhere.

nashwaymule
    Free Member

I run a 2 x 10 on my FS which was converted down from 3 front ring jobbie. Gamut double and bash just make sure the Jockey wheel is done up tight as they have annoying habit of falling off (loctite).

No you don’t need to but why wouldn’t you??

solman
    Free Member

thanks guys, although if you don’t have ISCG mounts etc. how would you fit a chain device?

i was looking at the MRP version and it fits to external BB, but I have a press fit BB so unsure of which device/brand would be best.

Yetiman
    Free Member

If the chain is jumping off a 2 x 9 or 2 x 10 set up them maybe the chain is too long. Try taking a couple of links out first and if that still doesn’t work, or the chain is too tight, then consider a chain device.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone does a pressfit BB mounted one, don’t think the pressfit would grab the backing plate of the device.

My front Mech keeps my chain on my 2×10 pretty well…

perthmtb
    Free Member

I run 2×9 on two of my bikes, and haven’t needed a chain device, but then I do XC rather than DH. As advised above, shortening the chain to the right length helps, as does a double specific front mech like the SLX M665, and changing up into the large chainwheel before hitting the DH bits.

solman
    Free Member

think it might worth getting that double specific front mech. Chain seems tight enough though.

thanks

woody74

Just realised I was reading 1×10 not 2×10, dohhh, must remember, read the question before you answer!!

Revise my answer to No

perthmtb
    Free Member

think it might worth getting that double specific front mech.

The SLX M665 is for 2×9, as you’re 2×10 you’d be looking at the XT double FDs like the M785/786

Chain seems tight enough though

I’d still check its big/big plus two links. A lot of doubles I’ve seen have the chain way too slack. What looks normal on a triple because it needs more slack to operate across the wider range of gears, is much slacker than it needs to be on a double.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘2×10 / chain device question’ is closed to new replies.