• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by br.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 2nd hand Meta 5.5, advice please!
  • specializedneeds

Is this a good idea? I didn’t pay a lot if attention to the failure issues at the time, as I wasn’t in the market for one, but I know there were problems. What model year should I avoid? Are these ones on EBay likely to be ok?

140610572890 or

TIA 🙂

iolo
    Free Member

2007 were ok.
    I’ve got a small for sale. £130

gravity-slave
    Free Member

2009 was the bad year. Large and XL frames the worst.

2010 were sorted – I have an ’08 and it’s awesome.
    Lots of info on http://www.commencalownersclub.com/

One good suggestion is to make sure there’s plenty of seatpost inserted in the frame as some failed around the top tube/seat tube junction.

specializedneeds

Thanks all. I need a medium, thanks anyway.

JohnnyPanic

140610572890 is a 2010 Medium.
    260859774087 is a 2009 medium.

Whilst you could get a perfectly fine 2009 model, it’s probably not worth the risk. Medium’s are not guaranteed to be crack free either. I have a 2009 medium & it has cracks on the shock mount welds and a hairline on the seat tube / top tube weld (rides fine at the moment).

eemy
    Free Member

I bought one – 2006 or 2007 I think – off here incidentally and it cracked after 3 months use, where the top tube meets the head tube. It was a size Large.

Gribs

Make sure you ride one before buying as I thought it sounded ideal but didn’t get on with it on a test ride. It was great down hill but I just couldn’t climb on it. A friend has one and he’s fine on it though so your mileage may vary.

brettjackson
    Free Member

I had a 2009 medium that cracked and got replaced with a 2010 frame. The welding and general build quality on the new frame is far higher. I would avoid any 2008 or 2009 frames. The 2010 model is clear to see as the downtube is down tube is curved slightly at each end a bit like a stumpy and has a squared profile. The pre 2010 frames have a straight downtube with a round profile. Also the 2010 model doesn’t look to have been welded by a chimp.

Check for any play on the rear swingarm as the main bearings can wear and are expensive to replace. As long as you get a good one you’ll not be disappointed.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

they ride like a gate

JohnnyPanic

Er, no they don’t.
    Though tbh I’ve never ridden a gate so what do I know.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i didn’t like the ride at all mine; sold it on after 18 months – most of the time it was hung up not being used.

br
    Free Member

I bought one – 2006 or 2007 I think – off here incidentally and it cracked after 3 months use, where the top tube meets the head tube. It was a size Large.

My buddys’ did this too, at some time during a hard day in The Peaks – in fact the last two descents were the Roman Road and the drop into Lady Bower…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘2nd hand Meta 5.5, advice please!’ is closed to new replies.