Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • 2nd hand bikes on CycleScheme, anyone every heard of it?
  • jskiffin
    Free Member

Looking for a bike for my other brother (Michael, Anthony’s the one I’m building a Merida with), in short £1,000 doesn’t go very far, so was wondering if anyone has encountered anywhere a second hand bike can be procured?

Cheers,
    John.

jskiffin
    Free Member

If anyone know of any shops in the northwest would be a brilliant result 😀

oldnpastit

I thought a fair chunk of the saving was not paying VAT. But second-hand bikes don’t attract VAT in the first place?

jskiffin
    Free Member

Very true, I’ve spoke to Evans & CRC and both won’t go above the £1k voucher value, so it’s the range available in that bracket that’s the issue.

It’s Alan nice to save a bit more dough though 🙂

jskiffin
    Free Member

FYI – Full Sus is his preference

scotroutes

Full sus is a bit overkill for cycling to work

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Full Sus for £1k would not be a sensible preference! You could get a reasonable HT then find a bargain 2nd hand FS frame to transplant the bits too.

The £1k bike is the accountants spec with enough of a hint of something better to make you buy it (one XT mech or something).

For £1 I’d ditch the voucher and go for 2nd hand properly.

jskiffin
    Free Member

Like many folk who use the CycleScheme the bike would be used for extra curricula activity, in this instance it’s a desire to hammer some single track.

northend1881
    Free Member

I thought evans would allow you to add to the voucher if you wanted…

pbooker1995
    Free Member

I think you can out second hand bikes on the CTWS. The shop will add 10% to the price of the bike, due to CS charging the shop 10% but pretty sure you can do it

jskiffin
    Free Member

I thought evans would allow you to add to the voucher if you wanted…

They certainly have in he past, I did it myself but it seems they won’t any longer!

jskiffin
    Free Member

I thought a fair chunk of the saving was not paying VAT. But second-hand bikes don’t attract VAT in the first place?

Looking at it the business saves on the VAT the individual saves against PAYE contributions. But I’m guessing the VAT would still be a sticking point.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

I recently purchased through Evans ride2work scheme and added extra collected bike on Boxing Day.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Most bike shops wont top up now as it is then unclear who owns the bike…

SuperScale20
    Free Member

I can only personally answer about Evans who I purchased a bike from boxing day whilst adding further funds.

didgy2
    Free Member

It depends whether you are with cycle 2 work or cyclescheme one allows you to add money and one doesn’t is what I have experienced.

stumpyjon

It’s not unclear who owns the bike, your employer does. If you add extra money to the voucher your employer will still own the bike. Your employer can buy you a bike costing more than £1k but the have to have a consumer credit licence (I think) to be able to do it. You then rent the bike for an agreed period via salary sacrifice. At the end of the rental period you give the bike back to your employer as it’s theirs. They can then do what ghey want with it. If they sell it you (which is normal) they have to do so at fair market value otherwise the taxman deems you to be committing tax evasion.

northend1881
    Free Member

I didn’t realise there was 2 different schemes, cycle2work allowed you to add when I bought a new bike 15 months ago.

RustyMac
    jskiffin
    Free Member

Nice one Rusty Mac, Pauls Cycles are awesome!!!!!

gruffalocrumble
    Free Member

Pauls Cycles give you 90% of the voucher value and also allow you to top up to buy what you want though they recommend that you have your employers permission to do so. This is from personal experience, my new bike came from there this week.

Mattbike

I run the scheme here at my work. I’ve had staff members get bike over a grand. You could put a £1000 on Cyclescheme then pay the shop the remaining amount. You’d only get the tax & NI savings on the £1K.

Your employer / Cyclescheme would own £1k of the value of the bike. After three years you own the bike. Your final value payment after a year would be based on the £1k.

The reasioning for the £1k threshold is that over this your employer would get into all sorts of additional hire purchase taxes and legislation etc.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

gruffalocrumble – Member

Pauls Cycles give you 90% of the voucher value

That is a rip off why should voucher value be less, it certainly does not work like this with Evans. I would stay clear of Pauls Cycles if that’s the case.

mildred

That is a rip off why should voucher value be less, it certainly does not work like this with Evans. I would stay clear of Pauls Cycles if that’s the case.

Because Pauls cycles get charged 10% of the voucher value by C2W. There bikes are usually massively discounted compared to the competition and I’m guessing this would leave there margins too tight.

Some shop don’t include sale bikes in the scheme as they end up losing in them.

gruffalocrumble
    Free Member

Super Scale 20

Cyclescheme levy a 10% charge to bike shops, so when you buy a new bike for £700 with your voucher, cyclescheme give the shop £630. This is why most shops will only supply bikes at RRP on cyclescheme otherwise their profit becomes completely eroded. Pauls Cycles gave the option of passing on that administrative charge and then supplying whatever bike I wished. In the end I bought a bike that RRP’s at £2000 that they were selling off for £999 for £900 + £99 top up paid by me. I was happy to pay £99 to save £1000 but if you’re not then don’t.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

gruffalocrumble That’s not the case with most of the dealers out there the levy is the benefit they get for the easy business they receive (cycle scheme). Glad you’re happy with your purchase but to be charged a different price from paying cash is profiteering.

mildred

gruffalocrumble That’s not the case with most of the dealers out there the levy is the benefit they get for the easy business they receive (cycle scheme). Glad you’re happy with your purchase but to be charged a different price from paying cash is profiteering.

I would argue that it isn’t “easy business”, just another way of paying. The shop still has to do all the same stuff it would do with any other customer or bike purchase. In fact, there’s more for them to do – extra paperwork etc.

That said, the scheme may have generated a few more people through the door, but if the shop is not making money on the bikes (i.e. Selling already discounted bikes with a financial penalty) it turns into a pointless paperwork exercise that costs the shop the price of the wage of the salesperson.

As mentioned above, if I had to spend £99 to save £1000 off the ticket price and have an easy way of paying that save me a bit of money from my wage then I’d be quite happy.

Edit: there’s a big difference between making a profit (the reason the shop exists) to profiteering.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

mildred I would presume the scheme has increased foot fall considerably http://www.cycletoworkalliance.org.uk/aboutus.html

mildred

That’s fine – businesses do what businesses do (make money) and commuters make savings and get healthier.

What I don’t get is why you think a shop trying to salvage some profit having given a big discount in the 1st place is profiteering. Out of five shops I approached near me in Notts only one shop near me include sale bikes in the C2W scheme. I think even Planet X/On One ask for a one off payment too, so this isn’t exclusive to Paul’s. As said above, if you don’t like it, buy elsewhere.

IanW
    Free Member

All the lbs near me will allow topping up. Some may even accept the voucher against an ex team bike or similar. A 1k voucher is basically 900 in readies.

scotroutes

Aye – because making a loss on 100 bikes is got to be better than making a loss on 1.

njee20
    Free Member

That’s how it works though – they take a 10% cut. Plenty of places will not take C2W vouchers on sale bikes. Don’t On-One/PX charge a 10% levy on C2W bikes to offset it?

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘2nd hand bikes on CycleScheme, anyone every heard of it?’ is closed to new replies.