Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 157 total)
  • 2nd hand bike purchase help !
  • renton
    Free Member

I bought my young lad a nice second hand bike that was advertised on a bike selling page on Facebook (also advertised on pinkbike)

Bike comes and looks to be as described however when spinning the back wheel the freewheel is making an almighty racket and is basically goosed (although not slipping at this point)

I contacted the lad I bought it from and after a bit of a discussion he agreed to order a replacement free-wheel from ATB sales to be sent to the bike shop he works for( by Manchester velodrome I believe). this was the 23rd march he said he ordered. I give him a week and contact him to see if its arrived yet and he says no as its a special order item?

Today its been two weeks and there is still no sign of itand Im not sure what to do?

Surely a freehub cant be a special order part? Edinburgh bikes have them in stock as do other shops?

Whats my next option?

weeksy

None, you bought a S/H bike, if you want a new bike, buy a new bike. You either check it out before paying or accept the consequences if not.
    IMO, you suck it up and fix it yourself.

martinhutch

I wouldn’t be getting in a froth about it. Getting a brand new freehub to replace one which is still working but perhaps not 100% on a second hand bike is above and beyond what I’d normally expect.

Buy a generic freehub, fit it, regard any replacement that turns up as a bonus to hold in reserve for the next one that goes.

renton
    Free Member

Aye but the lad has already agreed to buy it as he knew it was noisy but didnt realise it was that bad.

Btw it has started to slip and make a cracking sound now.

renton
    Free Member

None, you bought a S/H bike, if you want a new bike, buy a new bike. You either check it out before paying or accept the consequences if not.
    IMO, you suck it up and fix it yourself.

I wanted a bike that was as described by the seller and works and not one that needs parts buying for it straight away.

martinhutch

Btw it has started to slip

If I come back in another five minutes, it will have exploded in flames in your kitchen. 🙂

My approach would be the same. If you want the bike working now, buy a cheap freehub and get it ridden. If and when the second one turns up, it’s a spare.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What martinhutch said.

renton
    Free Member

There are no cheap freehubs for it. It requires a specific Formula model around £25

Thing is if he has ordered one from ATB sales why is it taking so long?

nickjb
    Free Member

Surely a freehub cant be a special order part?

[quote]It requires a specific Formula model [/quote]

renton
    Free Member

Btw it has started to slip
    If I come back in another five minutes, it will have exploded in flames in your kitchen.

My approach would be the same. If you want the bike working now, buy a cheap freehub and get it ridden. If and when the second one turns up, it’s a spare.

sorry you have misinterpreted what I meant… When the bike turned up it was making a horrendous racket but wasnt slipping then, now two weeks down the line its slipping a cracking now and that is just with my young lad riding it around the close we live on.

pickle
    Free Member

£25? just buy it and get riding, just one of those things. The seller is obviously not ordering one or are they going to, they are just hoping you go away.

take it on the chin, buy the new one at £25 and get riding

renton
    Free Member

I paid by paypal, worth raising a dispute over ?

matt_outandabout

If you didn’t inspect the bike, you have opened the door to this.
    I’ve really tried to deal with STW regulars for exactly this reason, and / or meet up if possible.

That said, the lad owes you a bike as described. Time to choose of the time and stress is worth chasing…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I paid by paypal, worth raising a dispute over

No.

Stop being a fanny.

renton
    Free Member

Hold up why am I being a fanny expecting a bike I paid for and described as in good working order to actually do that. The fact that my lad hasnt even done a mile on it and its starting to fail already suggests that the chap selling it knew it was on its way out.

weeksy

why do you think he was selling it?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s 25 quid. How much have you spent on Ill fitting bikes in the last few years? Just buy a freehub, and put it down to experience.

You could use some of the profit you made on the last bike someone on here did you a deal on?.

renton
    Free Member

The story I got was that it was his nephews bike and he had outgrown it (its a small Whyte 605) so as he worked in a shop he serviced it and was selling it for him.

Its had a new cassette and chain, brake bled, new brake pads, new headset, new rear wheel bearings etc so he has done some work on it … just not the freehub.

renton
    Free Member

You could use some of the profit you made on the last bike someone on here did you a deal on?.

YGPM

weeksy

Its had a new cassette and chain, brake bled, new brake pads, new headset, new rear wheel bearings etc so he has done some work on it … just not the freehub.

And yet somehow you’re complaining ?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Whatever. If your confident that all was well on that, there’s no need for a PM.

Just buy the freehub. If his turns up, you have 28 days to return it.

renton
    Free Member

No Im not complaining Im asking advice on what to do next after being promised a replacement part for the defective one on the bike which was sold to me as being in good working order.

Matt24k
    Free Member

For 25 quid I’d just fix it and forget about it.

weeksy

Buy another one, replace it, move on.

renton
    Free Member

Whatever. If your confident that all was well on that, there’s no need for a PM.

There was need for a PM as you are getting involved in something that has nowt to do with you ?

I wonder what the outcome would be if the show was on the other foot and it was one of you lot sat with a bike your lad cant ride.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There was need for a PM as you are getting involved in something that has nowt to do with you ?

This is an Internet forum. Everything on here is on a public forum.

weeksy

We’d buy a sodding hub or a wheel. It’s not rocket surgery, it’s pretty simple. You bought a used bike, in that circumstance it could have been a gear cable, could have been a brake bleed, could have been a tyre, in your case it was a hub… It’s used.. That’s how the used bike market goes !

renton
    Free Member

Deleted… out of order due to frustration.

ulysse
    Free Member

What I’ve done in the past with buyers like you is to drive over and full refund, taking the bike back. Then I make it my life mission that they never get to own anything of mine again. Ever
    You don’t live on Chorley New Road, do you…. 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Keyboard warrior? :mrgreen:
    :mrgreen:

Grow up, stop greeting and fix your boys bike.

renton
    Free Member

What I’ve done in the past with buyers like you is to drive over and full refund, taking the bike back. Then I make it my life mission that they never get to own anything of mine again. Ever
    You don’t live on Chorley New Road, do you…

Im very happy with the rest of the bike ta.

the point is he promised to replace it and went as far as saying he has ordered one which was fair enough. Im asking if its normal for a freehub to take two weeks to arrive or has he had my trousers down

singlespeedstu

Just take the advice given and move on instead of trying to re ask the question in different ways until you get the answer you want.

renton
    Free Member

Keyboard warrior? :mrgreen:

Grow up, stop greeting and fix your boys bike.

I deleted that as Im hungover to bits and a little frustrated that no one is seeing my side of this. My Bad.

Yes I understand its a used bike and yes I understand that things break. However when you mention a fault to the seller on unpacking the bike and then he says I knew it was noisy my bad I will order a new one and then it doesnt materialize after two weeks you start to get a bit pissed.

ulysse
    Free Member

He’s probably had your trousers down for £25, it’s not an earth shattering amount.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Id have not wasted time or disappointed my lad. I’d order the part asap and fix the bike. But TBH some hubs make a lot of noise, its the pawls clicking over the teeth. Id just service it and ride on. It be quicker and my son would be out riding. Its also SH and if its broke I’d fix it. Sold as seen. Or not in your case.

renton
    Free Member

It is when you are married to my wife :mrgreen:

weeksy

and a little frustrated that no one is seeing my side of this. My Bad.

Have you ever thought, if everyone else disagrees with you, then you may be wrong ?

My lad would have been riding the bike within 24 hours as i’d have sorted him a new hub/wheel, so to stay “my lad can’t ride the bike” is your fault.

renton
    Free Member

Fair one

renton
    Free Member

Its a bike for his birthday in May. He isnt having it yet, we were setting it up so the bars and saddle etc were all ready to go on the day.

Fatboy35

E mail him again, ask if it’s arrived.

Communication between both parties.

If you are not happy with his answer, do what YOU feel is appropriate.

Personally, if you got it for a good price, suck it up and put it down to experience, for all you know it’s in the post to you and will arrive today, if you don’t ask him you won’t know.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 157 total)

The topic ‘2nd hand bike purchase help !’ is closed to new replies.