Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 2nd day of singlespeed commuting
  • tmb467
    Free Member

Better than yesterday although my hamstrings are stiffening nicely!

Got an nod of admiration from a guy on a road bike going up Eccleshill (BD10 to BD3)

nicko74

With a freewheel? If it’s a fixie, just don’t forget to pedal. It took me a good couple of weeks to learn how to ride it properly…

cookeaa

Been commuting twice a week on a fixie for almost a month now 14 miles each way. Its brilliant fun.

Legs hurt less the more you do it, I’ve actually started thinking about upping the ratio… Might be a bit soon for that yet.

tmb467
    Free Member

Yeah – freewheel.

I’ve got a three mile hill – up in the morning and down at night. Singlespeed is hard enough without making it worse!

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Perfect evening for a ride home from the office, no GPS no racing just spinning the pedals and admiring the scenery

Oh and a five day weekend now

Merak

Fixed will make it easier. On the up hills anyway 🙂

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

What ratio are you running?

I built mine a couple of months ago.

Started with 40 / 16, soon changed to 40 / 12 as felt like I should be putting more effort in.

It is perfect for me, but im only 3.5 miles from work.

cookeaa

I’ve been using 44-16 to commute and 44-14 for the track, thinking I. Might try knocking a tooth off of both in the next couple of weeks 15t for commuting 13t for the track.

I want to keep nudging up the resistance a little at a time to build some leg strength back up.

beefheart
    Free Member

I use my 29er MTB for commuting, and yesterday I overtook a guy on a road bike in full lycra club gear.
    I’m only running 33:18, and I was spinning like crazy.

Maybe the guy was knackered, but he overtook me ~6 miles earlier and it felt good to chase him down.

tmb467
    Free Member

32/16 is hard enough on the uphill – it’s a 200m climb over three miles

The downhill coast is about 2/3 of the journey apart from one roundabout

eskay

I have been riding fixed on the way to work for about 6 years. The main reason was because of the lack of required maintenance for around the year commuting.

I am still on the same chain and sprocket!

crispedwheel
    Free Member

32/16 is hard enough on the uphill – it’s a 200m climb over three miles

On road or off?

crispyrice

I converted a Rockrider 8.1 to single speed, i have used it twice this week on my commute which is mostly flat along the coast with 3 short but steep hills.

I am running 42/18 and have to push on two of the hills near the top but am getting better. Once I can power up all 3 i will change to 42/16.

I have had to adjust my chain tensioner due to a lose chain and it makes a little noise so i would like to change to a frame with hoz drop outs, can anyone recommend a fun frame that might do the job?

tmb467
    Free Member

On road or off?

All onroad at the minute. Once I’ve had a few weeks of it I can put bigger tyres on and do it offroad

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Ah cool, good work.

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

tmb467….you try that hill from the pub at Apperly Bridge to past Ecclehill library in poncy deck shoes on egg beaters, 48×18 fixed 😯 shagged i was going past the baths!

tmb467
    Free Member

Hehehe – I have nothing to say to that but I can imagine it as a nice sunny day and you’d had one or two at The Stansfield!

It’s the flatter bit after the health centre that leads up to the bookies and the sandwich shop that kills me now. The smell of bacon sandwiches as I went past yesterday, feeling like I was gonna throw up

Can’t imagine doing that in deck shoes and no pedals. 48/18 is quite some gear to be turning tho …saw a very nice All City nature boy this evening at asda with a similar gear.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Fixed is where it’s at.

Stick with it for a year and then you’ll only ever notice it’s fixed when you spin the gear out 😉

If left to my own devices I could be lazy on a commute, that was then.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

I am still on the same chain and sprocket!

😯

Treat yourself lad!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘2nd day of singlespeed commuting’ is closed to new replies.