Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 29ers vs 26 for tall guys/gals…. big difference?
  • neilscott
    Free Member

Hi all,

Struggling to get comfortable on my current bike and wondering if a 29er might be the way forward? I’m 6ft 5 so not silly tall but I do have unusually long legs even for my height. My current bike is an XL but I still feel a bit squashed whatever I do. I’ll obviously try and get on as many bikes as I can but I keep finding that shops usually only have med or large in stock which is no use. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :o)

Sam

Loads of discussion on this topic previously such as here, with the usual result being that most tall guys vastly prefer big wheels. I’m very much in that boat, will never ride 26″ wheels by choice again.

TooTall
    Free Member

Some yes, some prefer the teeny tiny feel of a bike that is proportionally a bmx for them.

If you are near Bristol you are welcome to come and try my two 29ers for size.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

I struggled for years to get a 26″ bike that fitted properly, always felt perched on top with the saddle up and little in the way of balance. About 18 months ago bought a second hand 29er frame/forks/wheels and not looked back since. The bike just seems to fit me now and is more in proportion to my height (6ft 3″). There does seem to be some negative opinion regarding 29ers from some people, but generally thats the FrEeRiDe KrEw types and those that have never ridden them.

If you are after a ride on one there’s enough people around the country on here willing to let you have a try, im based in Worcestershire at the foothills of the NW Alps, ideal 29er testing ground…. 😉

bullheart
    Free Member

Loads of discussion on this topic previously such as here, with the usual result being that most tall guys vastly prefer big wheels. I’m very much in that boat, will never ride 26″ wheels by choice again.

+1

Burls72
    Free Member

A lot depends on what type of riding you do? Xc/trail 29er’s make sense but if your more in to the type of riding where you need 6/7 inches of travel not so. Lack of fork/tyre choice and added wheel weight make 26″ wheels a better option.

If you have a healthy budget get a proffesional bike fitting done and have a custom frame made. The taller you are the less likely you are to find a frame that fits and end up making it fit.

the_lecht_rocks

I will never go back to 26″ unless forced too. 29″ is a revelation for me and my riding needs… I’m 182cm for ref..

chunkypaul
    Free Member

tyre choice and wheel weight is simply not an issue for 29ers at all…

i recommend you try a test bike (29er) round your usual trails and start saving for a new 29er 😆

Burls72
    Free Member

tyre choice and wheel weight is simply not an issue for 29ers at all…

It is if you want to do alp type riding and your heavy. Might get away with Gordo’s if your light enough, failing that Kris Holm rims are the only choice.

I’m not heavy at 14/14.5 stone with kit and I only just get away with 36 hole flow’s on an xc hardtail.

TooTall
    Free Member

I’m not heavy at 14/14.5 stone with kit and I only just get away with 36 hole flow’s on an xc hardtail.

We’ll put it down to you being exceedingly clumsy as a rider then! I’m over 3 stone heavier than you in my kecks and my 5 year old Halo rims and 2 year old Flows are as true as ever. I’m oafish in the riding stakes so lordy knows what you are doing.

Burls72
    Free Member

I am hard on wheels, especially the rear. Never worked out why as I don’t do big drops etc but I do tend to plough through the rough stuff. I always blamed it on the extra leverage of being tall but I think your taller than me (i’m 6’6″)?

Perhaps i’ll have to pick my lines better 😆

sambob
    Free Member

I’d love one, just can’t afford it. REALLY want a Niner WFO or a Transition Bandit 29.

neilscott
    Free Member

Thanks all! It’s a shame I don’t live anywhere near the very generous guys offering me ‘a go’ on their bikes. Thanks so much anyway. I’ll have to hang around in the woods at Dalby and see who I come across!

Well… it seems pretty clear cut that I should try and get on a 29er as soon as possible. I might end up selling my current bike (despite all the lovely new bits I’ve bought recently…) to try and get some cash together.

I was talking to a couple of guys in a local bike shop who were suggesting that I might not solve the arse-in-the-air issues without going for a bike with a higher front end i.e going for a more aggro hardtail (On One 456/Orange Crush…)and sticking a 140mm fork in the front hoping to rock myself backwards and balance things out a bit. It doesn’t sound like an entirely silly idea in theory! Would just mean taking a machine gun to a knife fight most of the time but then, if it means I’m comfortable and everything fits that’s going to be better than riding around balanced on the nose of my Superlight all the time! I had a Cannondale hardtail with quite a tall front end and that handled better than my Superlight even though it tried to shatter my spine on every pebble!

Thanks again guys.

boltonjon

I’m 6ft 5 with 36″ inside leg and ride a large Cotic Soul with 140mm forks

OK, i’ve got a silly long seat post, but its great fun on single track and good for 50 odd mile rides

I used to ride it with a 90mm stem but have swapped it for a 70mm and i’m still comfy on it

I’ve only ridden a couple of 29ers, and although i’m very impressed with the added traction, i still prefer the playfulness of my cotic

get testing buddy!! 😀

clubber
    Free Member

6’5″ with a 29er and a couple of 26″ bikes. I’m yet to hear any real justification for why a 29er suits tall riders more than less blessed 😉 ones. I reckon that taller riders just prefer them because they look more in proportion.

I’m very happy with my 29er but I’ll be keeping my 26″ bikes too. they’re just different, not better IMO.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/singular-swift-29er-and-suntour-epicon-rld-29er-fork-reviews

clubber
    Free Member

oh and IMO swifts have overly tall front ends so may well suit…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘29ers vs 26 for tall guys/gals…. big difference?’ is closed to new replies.