Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • 29ers – Singular Swift or…
  • Eccles
    Free Member

I'm going over budget like a good 'un, so may as well throw the options open a bit..

I've now got most of the important bits; stop stuff, go stuff, silly big wheels, bits to sit on, etc but just need a frame. Now initially I was looking at trying to find say, a cheapo 2nd hand inbred but it's all gone a bit magpie, basically, shiny things are casting their glamour.

Now I tend to agree with Mr Singular on matter of cludgy adjustable dropouts, kinda hate horizontal dropouts and quite like the EBB idea. This basically seems to mean I'm down to Swift Vs SIR9 (because I'm a tart). The two things that spring to mind are (1) anything else I should consider and (2) HOW MUCH?

Is the SIR 9 really worth a look/demo, or is it just exchange rates and where it's welded rather than any inherent marvellousness? I know 853 is pricey stuff, but is it really THAT pricey?

Anyone ridden both?

rOcKeTdOg

i'm too biased to comment

bigsi
    Free Member

I'm with rocketdog on this one however in an effort to be odjective and as i did have a quick spin on a SIR9 before i bought a swift…………………

GET THE SWIFT.

Sorry that didn't really work did it 😳

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ton

si, did you get it sorted??

Lactic
    Free Member

Never ridden a swift but my SIR9 is fantastic. If I was you however I'd wait and see what the on one carbon 29er looks like

bigsi
    Free Member

Not yet ton but I've a mate who's started work at a local welder and they have agreed to weld a plate on it for the cost of a few beers. I'll then run it ss as a commuter.

It won't be pretty but at least it will live again 😀

Clink

New Salsa El Mariachi looks nice; think ctbm does them.
    http://salsacycles.com/bikes/el_mariachi/frame/

If you're paying SIR 9 money the new ti and carbon frames from On-one will also be in reach.

bigsi
    Free Member

Oh and for the record Eccles i would get the Swift based on cost and customer service. I don't feel that the niner is worth the extra money and the delivery times was shocking on my mates one, think it ended up taking about 6 months 😕

tazzymtb

new el mariachi from salsa looks fantastic

fenboy

new salsa el mariachi looks nice i think around £499 for frame + 100ish for matching rigid fork available soonish.

nice dropouts copied from black cat

mariachi

fenboy

oops! new ragley TD-1 steel version whenever that turns up!

fenboy

gunnar cycles do a nice 29er too

Eccles
    Free Member

Now if they did the salsa in jellybean..

PikeBN14
    Free Member

bigsi – Member
    I'm with rocketdog on this one however in an effort to be odjective and as i did have a quick spin on a SIR9 before i bought a swift…………………

GET THE SWIFT.

Sorry that didn't really work did it

Oi!!!!!

I presume that was my sir9 you're talking about as I've never seen another locally? I don't remember you riding it, you did ride the Soma Juice that all the same bits were on before, but they really were oceans apart!!

Not had or ridden a Swift, but SIR9's are SWEET, and not fragile, eh Si 😉 !!!

clubber
    Free Member

You could argue that I'm biased since I've just ordered a Swift having ridden one for a lap at the bikefest having previously not been able to find a 29er I enjoyed riding. That included a SIR which while nicer than some others I tried still just felt a bit steady eddie to me. For the difference in price I certainly couldn't see any justification though I suspect the Niner is lighter ( since it's 853 ) but that's based on nothing other than assumption since the Swift certainly didn't feel heavy.

tazzymtb

soul dillengers are lovely as well, especially with the custom anodised EBB and bits to match the paint job of your choice. If you are going to be a big tart REALLY go for it

http://www.ridesoul.com/dillingerg3.html

fenboy

I've just bought a S/H mariachi not built up yet so can't comment how it rides but the frames really nicely put together. graphics on salsa have always been a bit love or hate but the new colours look nice.

ton

rd and si………….guess what i have just ordered……. 8)

rOcKeTdOg

a pegasus?
    my new forks have arrived 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

A curry?

A mail order bride?

fenboy

maybe a hooker

ton

rd, tell me what they are and i will tell you..

rOcKeTdOg

😉

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

There's also Vassago, and OS Blackbuck to look at. The Gary fisher steel frames look nice too, oh and don't forget Surley Karate Monkey!

Norton
    Free Member

Niners are good but not exactly a bargain.

I justified buying an Air9 because you are getting a 3.1 lb scandium frame for similar money to the competition – but £850 for a Sir9 when you can get a Singular with fork for half the price or a Rock Lobster 853 26er for £299……

ton

rd…….very very nice.

a swift like yours 8)

Big-Dave
    Free Member

i would get the Swift based on cost and customer service

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I always felt when dealing with Sam that I knew exactly what I was buying and the frame was beautifully prepped. Well chuffed with my Swift.

I was actually going to buy a Karate Monkey but the frame on display at the bike show in London looked a bit rough around the edges. The singular stand on the other hand had nothing but immaculately turned out bikes and friendly people manning it. Says a lot about the company…

clubber
    Free Member

Sam has certainly been a pleasure to deal with.

bigsi
    Free Member

Pike – Oh yeah, so it was. Still prefer the Swift just on looks alone. 😉

Mine only broke because something was dropped on the top tube, nothing to do with build quality etc a Sam has been fantastic to deal with on the matter, i just don't have the money to take up the crash replacement offer yet hence the repair job.

Good one Ton, think you'll love it & RD i love those forks where did you get them ?

coastkid
    Free Member

cant say my surly KM is rough around the edges…welds and chum red paint is superb,aint the lightest but for a (now old school 29er?) workhorse it go`s like the clappers and leaves alot of 26"ers 😆 and f&f around £330
    swift has a nice colour to it though 😮

PikeBN14
    Free Member

Oh yes, Swifts are pretty, but I think SIRS will outlast them and ain't ugly, but that's just my point of view!

Before I finally conceded that rigid was painful and stuck some Rebas's on, well worth it!!!

tazzymtb

was seriously considering the niner one 9 until i discovered that it has the same geometry and tube lengths/chainstay length etc as my scandal which is also the same weight….hmmmmm…..can't seem to justify the extra few hundred quid 😥

rOcKeTdOg

Forks via a WTD ad on classifieds, wheel building will begin today

bigsi
    Free Member

RD – Look forward to seeing the pics of them on the bike. If you don't get on with them let me know as they will be perfect on my Paradox 😛

Pike – The Niner looks ok (don't really like the colour tbh but thats just IMO) but £849 for the Niner V's £420 for the Swift. Its a no brainer as far as I'm concerned 😉

Clink

I've almost got a Niner SIR9 on several occasions – but price is OTT. Cotic Soul is similar tubing and (I think, without checking) £470ish. Also see mtbr for probs with the new ebb.

Singulars are fab – only thing that concerns me is the slightly high standover compared with similarly sized frames from other companies.

fontmoss
    Free Member

ride them both but i think for the money you might be bit disappointed with the niner/elated with the swift?

swift + niner forks/sexy wheels would be my choice

Clink

swift + niner forks/sexy wheels would be my choice

Top idea.

clubber
    Free Member

Niner forks are gorgeous but only really look any good on the carbon Niner frame I reckon.

Eccles
    Free Member

Swift, singular forks, 2nd hand on-one wheels, spares bin finishing kit is the rather more prosaic reality.

100mm stem about in the ballpark for a large?

Clink

Niner forks are gorgeous but only really look any good on the carbon Niner frame I reckon.

Hope not, I'm about to put a set on my O-O ti 29er. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘29ers – Singular Swift or…’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts