Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 29'ers !!!!
  • dmc
    Free Member

Ok so im thinking about moving back to a steel hard tail and retiring the full susser.

My question is is it worth moving onto a 29'er as oppposed to a 26'er ?

Looking at doing a fair bit of milage over the winter so would it be a benifit using bigger wheels ?

And finnaly what would people recomend ? have been looking at a niner sir 9.

thanks in advance

dc

singlespeedstu

Same as any new bike.

Try a few and see what you like.

rOcKeTdOg

niners are nice and light (especially the alu ones), singulars are good too

bigsi
    Free Member

If you're unsure if a 29er is going to suit you then i would build one using a budget frame to begin with because where as the Niner SIR is a nice frame (its on my shortlist for next year) they are not cheap. Possibly look at alloy. CRC do the Viper29er for about £125 and they are very good value for money or the On-One (if you can catch them when they are in stock) at about £200 (IIRC) for a steel one.

The Singulars look fantastic IMO and I've not heard a bad word about them so might be worth looking in to that option, plus you should be able to sell it quickly and with less £ loss if you don't get on with it on the 2nd hand market.

NZCol

Sort of the opposite.
    I now ride my Ti 29er about 90% of the time and only roll out my FS 26" to do adventure races on. SOoooooo I might just go the whoel hog and go FS 29er as well. For the racing I do which is usualy long and dull it seems logical , and FS will help me not feel so battered when i am carryin glots of gear. The niner RIP seemed to appeal to me with some 100mm forks on it and all the kit off my FS (just about all XTR pimp).
    Anyone ridden one and got any comments ?

pomona
    Free Member

Sorry for the wee thread hijack but….

NZCol, I lost your your e-mail address. Fancy a pint sometime? A bike ride is out the question at the moment as I broke my collar bone down at Mt Hutt a couple of weeks ago.

My e-mail is talisker707 at gmail dot com

Dan

Bream
    Free Member

I must admit that over the last couple of months I am becomming more tempted with a 29er, I would love to try one but the chances of finding a 29er to test in Sweden is slim to nothing, let alone a FS 29er 🙁

This is what is tempting me: Superfly 100

It's not that I am uphappy with my Giant Anthem Advanced, in fact the opposite but being 6'2" riding a bigger rig is tempting plus I think it would be faster and more enjoyeable for the trails I ride over here.

It's only the fact that I can't test one and the big cost that's putting me off.

ona29er
    Free Member

dmc – had a 26 rigid and moved to a 29er HT with front suspension. Originally looked at the On-one Inbred / scandal but then my comapany stopped the CTW, so have got a Gary Fisher Mamba due to budget constraints. All I can say is that it is superb fun, really fast, comfy (changed the bars for wider / higher)and fits me like a glove. When rolling down the same track with mates on a 26, they pedal, I don't! Size of wheels makes a huge difference. Don't notice any drawbacks on twisty stuff (riders crap). Eats the miles. I'm 6'3" and it is fantastic having a bike that fits. Frame (alu, Genesis 2.0)is the same as the more expensive bikes, so upgrades are already on the cards. It will get you started. Got mine for £575 from Nevis Bikes in Fort William with £50 of accessories thrown in. Hope it helps.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘29'ers !!!!’ is closed to new replies.