Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 29er wheels complete weight?
  • sherry
    Free Member

What is a reasonable weight for 29er wheels complete with tyres, tubes, rotors and cassette? I currently have XT hubs on ZX24 Alex rims with racing Ralph tyres (tub less ready), light weight tubes and formula 2 piece rotors.

Tried to run them tubless but couldn’t get them to inflate!

shortcut

So 2 x 650gms for tyres
    1750gms for wheels
    Say 200 gms for rotors
    286 for cassette.

Job done.

And some tubeless jizz 200grms if so?!?

sherry
    Free Member

My front is 1950g and the rear 2580g including tyres/rotors etc. I was contemplating getting new wheelset but if the weight savings are marginal for the cost I won’t bother.

njee20
    Free Member

Depends how much you wanted to spend. You could easily save a kilo if you spent enough.

sherry
    Free Member

Was thinking around 300 quid. If they were better performing and lighter it might be worth it. Shimano XT wheels or hope with flow crest. I know a good set of wheels make a good difference. I’m sort of new to 29ers though so not so sure.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

i should think you could get a set weighing around 1650g for that money, the xt on alex’s my guess would be are over 2000g – get a nice light cassette, don’t worry too much about the tyres/tubless etc . . .

is this a cube reaction we are talking about per chance?

sherry
    Free Member

It is a cube Ltd SL. Not too bad a bike for my first 29er.

steve_b77
    Free Member

– get a nice light cassette, don’t worry too much about the tyres/tubless etc . . .

On the contrary, keep the cassette you’ve got – it’s affect on rotational mass is minimal being so close to the centre of rotation – and ditch the tubes, get some nice light tubeless tyres and Stans it up. You may save weight but you’ll be able to run lower pressures & have more traction / less rolling resistance as a bonus to the no punctures.

steve_b77
    Free Member

On a weight note, I went from stock Giant P-XC2 29’er wheels with tubed RR Evos to Crests on Hope Pro Evo II straight pulls, tubeless with tape n’ valves and the same tyres – lost 800g’s from the bike 🙂 now rocking a near 11kg 29’er Anthem

njee20
    Free Member

On the contrary, keep the cassette you’ve got – it’s affect on rotational mass is minimal being so close to the centre of rotation – and ditch the tubes, get some nice light tubeless tyres and Stans it up. You may save weight but you’ll be able to run lower pressures & have more traction / less rolling resistance as a bonus to the no punctures.

The whole rotating weight thing doesn’t really make that much difference. He’s got light tyres, with light tubes, and has failed to make them tubeless, so all in that’s pretty pointless advice to someone trying to save weight.

Just sayin like.

sherry
    Free Member

Any good deals on quality 29er wheels?

njee20
    Free Member

Superstar on Crest rims for £200 if they’re still doing it.

radoggair
    Free Member

140g for rotors – xcracer.com
    bontrager 29-1 2.0 tyres = 960g = evans £16 each when i got em
    xx cassette – 185g – 11-32 – on one (£100 just now)
    1450g wheelset – crest, sapim cx ray, choice of hubs
    120g – tyre sealant
    20g – valves

2875g

orangeboy
    Free Member

Just to save a little more weight stans race gold wheels
    Are 1390g for the pair but oh my do they cost a lot

njee20
    Free Member

140g for rotors – xcracer.com
    bontrager 29-1 2.0 tyres = 960g = evans £16 each when i got em
    xx cassette – 185g – 11-32 – on one (£100 just now)
    1450g wheelset – crest, sapim cx ray, choice of hubs
    120g – tyre sealant
    20g – valves

Hence saying you could do it if you spent enough! 1450g wheels on Crests, that’ll be DT180 hubs then, £1000 for the wheels please.

sherry
    Free Member

Yeah I don’t want to spend the same amount on wheels as I did on the complete bike ha ha!

Stoner
    Free Member

I did some weighing up here:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/is-actually-possible-to-get-a-tyre-on-ztr-crest-rim/page/3#post-4209761

My Everyday Wheels are Superstar hubs in Salsa rims with tubes, avid rotors and Racing ralph on the front and Ignitor on the back = 2,325g Rear and 2,225g Front (it’s a swappable front hub)

These new wheels build up to 970g R and 800g F wheel weights and 1,720g & 1,580g respectively fully loaded with tyres/latex/rotors etc.

That’s a weight saving of 605g at the back and 645g at the front (-30%!).

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘29er wheels complete weight?’ is closed to new replies.