Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 29er Virgin – Advice required
  • jimcollins67
    Free Member

Just bought a used single speed 29er, have only ridden it a couple of times but loving the way it rides. 1st time that i’ve tried single speed too.. Couple of questions,

1) Anyone recommend a good large volume tyre? currently running Michelin ATX tyres 2.2

Have seen Continental Mountain King 29 x 2.4 Tyres for £26 each, anyone used these?

2) Currently fitted with a Bonty alu fork, would i notice a big difference if i fitted a carbon fork?

Thanks Jim

bigsi
    Free Member

Don’t know re number 2 as i’ve only used a carbon fork briefly on my 29er and my swift has a steel fork but i would think the diffirence between alu & carbon would be minimal.

I’m currently using the Ardent 2.25 which are great. Nice and comfy. Also got some Bonty TR3’s which are a 2.2 and again they are great but more of a dry weather tyres where as the Ardents are a bit more all weather.

Don’t like Conti’s never rate them & wouldn’t waste my dosh on a pair but each to their own.

sillyoldman

Depends on the carbon fork, but a bigger tyre will probably give more benefit.

Bonty 29-4’s are good. Nice big volume, fast rolling and hook up well, though they don’t like slop, but that’s to be expected.

Never ridden Mtn Kings but know people who like them on 29″ (though have never heard of anyone liking the 26″).

New Mtn King II and Rubber Queens are due out at the end of this month at long last. Both look interesting.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I had an alu and a CF fork on my HT and they were both fine. However, Salsa’s rigid fork seems more bump-absorbing.

jimcollins67
    Free Member

bigsi how big do the Ardent 2.25’s come up? All terrain cycles are doing the 2.4’s for £25. Bit worried that they might be to big.

Had 2.2 rubber queens before that i ran on the 26″ hardtail, they were huge, the 2.4’s must have been tractor size!!

MrTall
    Free Member

I run 2.4″ and 2.25″ on my FS 29er and had to put the 2.4″ on the rear as it didn’t quite fit the front fork (Reba Team). You’ll be fine at the front with a rigid fork though but a 2.4″ on the rear will be a tight fit on most 29er bikes. 2.25″ should be fine though.

robdeanhove
    Free Member

The Rocket Ron 2.25″ is a lice light, big-ish, tyre that’s a good alrounder: reasonable grip, fast rolling and sheds mud well in the wet. It’s available in 2.4″ if you want really big too.

Rob
    bigrobracing.co.uk

randomjeremy
    Free Member

At the very least you’ll need a beard and a VW Transporter

HTH

jimcollins67
    Free Member

RJ, Got the beard. Grew one for the 1st time last year as part of Movember, and have kept it. 🙂

Would love a VW Transporter, but can’t see that happening. the other half doesn’t mind a shed full of bikes, but she will put her “foot down” if i buy a VWT to transport them in…

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Hear you on the beard front brother, I stopped shaving a couple of weeks ago and it’s hard to describe but a beard just makes me feel more of a man. BRB off to chop some wood and weld things 🙂

hugor
    Free Member

My fav tire combo right now is:
    Bontrager 29-4 up front
    Bontrager 29-3 TLR rear
    I have used a lot of tyres over the years but this combo is probably my favourite.

gothandy

I’ve ridden Mountain King on my FS 29er, personally I find them too draggy and will only be using them when things get very wild and rocky. I’d recommend the small block 8’s, really love them and when it gets muddy I switch to Mud-X. Not sure either has the kind of volume you’re after or that my experience with a full-suss is much use anyway 🙂

partyboy1101
    Free Member

Anyone tried the Panaracer Cedric Gracia 29er tyres? They look like they’ll roll nicely but have big side knobs for the loose corners.

ratadog

Haven’t tried the Cedric Garcia’s but have run Panaracer Rampages on one 29er. They are 2.35s and worth adding to your list.

Other 29er has Ardent 2.25 – not much experience other than in the dry so far but like them.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘29er Virgin – Advice required’ is closed to new replies.