• This topic has 20 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by nikk.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 29er rims… User experiences please…
  • mboy
    Free Member

I’m not known for being easy on kit, but neither am I a DHer or massively overweight. I want a good lightweight set of 29er wheels but strong enough to be thrown down a few DH tracks and the like without me killing them.

I’ve used lots of different 26″ rims over the years, favouring wider rims such as Mavic’a EN521 over narrow rims. I like Stans rims but I don’t like the price so much, or the lack of eyelets. Also would like wider than Crests/Arches but not as heavy as the Flow.

Anybody used Superstar Sentinel 29er rims? How about Halo Vapours? Or the Pacenti TL28’s? These 3 all have eyelets, tubeless compatible, 26-28mm external width and all usefully sub 500g in 29er guise.

njee20
    Free Member

Light Bicycle carbon jobs?

Candodavid
    Free Member

Just got some vapours, nice finish, can get geax TNT tyres on them too, couldn’t get them on the stans

mboy
    Free Member

Njee, very definitely sometime in the near(ish) future…

For now, need something slightly more affordable, and more readily available. Ideally want to order some tomorrow to be with me mid week…

Candodavid
    Free Member

Paid £240 for mine from LBS

Nipper99
    Free Member

I have a set of American Classic AMs which have been great – about 18 months use and still spot on, – there’s a pair on ebay at the moment

nikk
    Free Member

Just got a set of Pacenti TL28s since about 10 days ago. All fine so far, but I am not hard on my kit. Think possibly build / spoke choice / tyre choice / PSI choice is important for any rim though.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I was advised the tl28 weren’t meant for a beating

I went for the DL31 not too heavy, wide so some tyres don’t fit well, I like them, and they work well on the Sultan

nikk
    Free Member
    mboy
    Free Member

Lots of conflicting info on the Pacenti’s on the web it would seem. Some saying they’re the best thing since sliced bread, others saying they’re soft and easily dented just like DT rims… Hmmm.

Anyone got much to say about the others I mentioned?

takisawa2

TN319’s for <£30ea are good. TN719’s are a whopping 50g or so lighter, for another £20ea.

mboy
    Free Member

Mavics are too narrow and too heavy for what I want. Shame really as I know they’re strong enough!

Seems those criticising the Pacenti’s are all running 25psi or less. Ridiculous in my opinion! With that little pressure in a tyre I’d dent pretty much any rim!

nikk
    Free Member

IMHO there is a lot of rubbish talked in the internet about a lot of stuff. Denting rims is one. Rims don’t dent themselves, you have to hit them off something. If you have hit them off off something, it is possible to dent any rim. The exact forces that the rim experiences when the strike happens will be unknown (uncalibrated), so anecdotal evidence doesn’t mean much at all. I run my tyres with low pressure, but if I start ‘touching rim’ then I will go up in pressure till it doesn’t happen. Was around 25psi on my last wheels. Obviously, a really hard strike on an edge can get to the rim at such a pressure, but I don’t ride that hard and I try to ride so I don’t break stuff, including the rims. Thea means unweighting the wheels, slowing down etc. If people are bashing through rock gardens at full speed with ultra low pressures and no finesse.. well…

Gee76
    Free Member

Running TL 28s at the mo and they’re holding up fine. Came in at 450g each and loving the 23mm footprint, coupled with the added 29er contact patch the grip is great.

Have a look at WTB i23 KOM if your after something a bit lighter. Same width as TL28s but a wee bit cheaper too!.

Northwind

nikk – Member

IMHO there is a lot of rubbish talked in the internet about a lot of stuff. Denting rims is one. Rims don’t dent themselves, you have to hit them off something. If you have hit them off off something, it is possible to dent any rim.

Yeah, but some are dentier than others- frinstance my Flows are miles softer than my old 721s. They’re still very strong, but they bruise easily (and straighten easily!)

I think maybe people are confused about the Pacentis since traditionally, wide rims were hard use rims… And they’re bound to get some first-time-tubeless users who embrace the low pressures a bit too much too.

Oh. Re Stans, I wouldn’t worry about eyelets personally. Maybe it reduces the lifespan but it’s still not the most likely end-of-life scenario. And the scare stories about low tension are just that- recommended tensions are about on a par with Mavic.

stevegittins
    Free Member

I run set of Mavic Crossmax ST on my 29er (after having brilliant results from a set I run on my 26er) and Im really pleased with them. Reasonably light, very stiff, strong and good for the money.

Couple of mates run American Classics, Also very good, reasonably light and strong but do flex quite a lot. They are though, excellent value for money.

One guy runs Eastons, Not the best but OK and pretty good value for money

One guy we ride with uses American Classic race which are very light although equally as flexy and not as strong as the others (he does constantly worry about damaging them in rock and on heavy hits)

Steve.

mboy
    Free Member

Oh. Re Stans, I wouldn’t worry about eyelets personally. Maybe it reduces the lifespan but it’s still not the most likely end-of-life scenario. And the scare stories about low tension are just that- recommended tensions are about on a par with Mavic.

It’s more that eyeletted rims are a whole lot easier to get good even spoke tension into in the first place, and then retrue as time goes on… They’re just easier to look after really, from a wheel builders point of view, and as I’m the wheel builder and the mechanic, these things matter to me!

Northwind

Can’t honestly say I’ve noticed that… I don’t build from scratch mind but retruing’s just been like any other rim. Interesting, cheers.

nashwaymule
    Free Member

I am quite like the OP as in quite abusive on wheels, Stans Crest rims I have pringled 2 of them in a years hard riding on my hardtail now on an Arch EX which has lasted 8 months other than a couple of snapped spokes it has stood up to the punishment much better. also less twist under heavy cranking.
    Looked at superstar rims but thought for the saving it was not worth it over a Stans Arch.

mboy
    Free Member

Been very heavily considering the Pacenti TL28’s on Superstar Switch Evo hubs currently on offer at £195 the pair…

Any reasons not to?

nikk
    Free Member

Considering the version with 26″ TL28 are 1770g, that is not exactly light, and the 29er ones will be heavier. If that is your budget, go for it, but if you have more money to play with, I’d try to get a better, lighter hub on those rims.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘29er rims… User experiences please…’ is closed to new replies.