Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 29er Rigids, carbon or steel?
  • vondally
    Free Member

Hello is there that much difference in carbon and steel rigids forks for comfort, give and so on.? I realise this is a subjective term of comfort but I hope you see what I mean……

clubber
    Free Member

Depends on the fork itself – Carbon or steel will not define how the fork behaves in itself. You can have forks of a given material that are various combinations of stiff/flexy/comfy/harsh.

FWIW, the ‘best’ fork I’ve ridden has been the Singular steel one – flexy in the right way, stiff in the right way – If I ever get a rigid fork for my 29er it’ll be a Singular one.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

The steel will doubtless feel “real”. It’ll smooth out your ride and be indestructible, like superman, the man of steel. They didn’t call him the man of carbon did they?

Be prepared for the carbon shattering into 700,000 tiny airbourne daggers that travel with enough to force to eviscerate a Jack Russell terrier. Or it’ll explode like superfly TNT. Best not be near it when it does.

These are the facts.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

I have a Niner carbon fork and find it really nice, pretty comfy on most terrain. Fork is beautifully made and very light if weight is a concern.

Moreover, and contrary to popular belief, it has not shattered and skewered my heart with carbon shards, which is nice.

vondally
    Free Member

anyone any experiences of the carbon on one rigids?

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I always found carbon On Ones to be a little more rigid than my Exotic carbon forks but very nice. For steel, I can’t fault Salsa forks.

Aidan
    Free Member
    emac65
    Free Member

Have tried a steel On One 26″,Carbon 29er from On One & a steel Salsa 29er…..
    Best one was the carbon On One – feels really nice,just how I expect a rigid fork with some flex to behave(if that makes sense)..
    Then the steel 26″ On One – It’s a stiff fork,but at least you know what it gonna do,not flex !
    & last the Salsa – which was a bloody awful springy fork that felt like it was bending back & then springing forward when ridden hard on descents,hated it !

vondally
    Free Member

do singular (sam) sell the forks seperatley?

Tasso
    Free Member

Have been running the on-one 26″ carbon fork on a 69er. Also used it with a 26″ wheel.

My only gripe is the faffing dropouts that have recesses both inside and outside. Makes wheel removal a pain and I also had clearance issues with the large clamping area on a 456 hub. The same dropouts also give minimal clearance to the disc rotor on most hubs that have been in there.

Having said that they function fine when riding. So good that I’ve not felt compelled to go back to the 26″ wheel and 100mm suspension forks that were on the bike previously.

I now have a set of the CC Exotic Carbon forks in proper 29er length which don’t have such robust dropouts or crown for that matter. Not used them yet but perhaps this weekend.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I find my carbon fork comfortable, Niner Carbon forks are also STRONG!
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_O9PLorYPA[/video]

Sam

vondally – Member
    do singular (sam) sell the forks seperatley?

Yes indeed, not on the site but drop me a mail if you are keen. £75 posted in the UK.

Northwind

Really didn’t like the steel on ones at all, overly stiff but also not much feeling through them IMO, everything felt kind of muffled and distant.

My exotic carbons are much flexier, which is good and bad but mainly good IMO- they’re not accurate at speed through rocks etc but then my experience of hard use and rigids is that something flexes somewhere, whether it’s the tyre, wheel, forks, bars, or pilot. So though it feels a bit weird, it works out fine and much less hard on the rider.

rOcKeTdOg

I have Singular forks and can’t recommend them enough, behave just as clubber describes above and for £75 are worth every penny

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP I have on ones, cross/monstercross use, pretty flexy I’d say, I like them.

tk46hal
    Free Member

Exotic carbon forks here and find them great!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘29er Rigids, carbon or steel?’ is closed to new replies.