Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • 29er rear tyre
  • widge34
    Free Member

Looking for a 29er rear tyre that I can use all year round, so has to be pretty good in the mud. Was thinking Spesh storm or Maxxis beaver.
    Any other recommendations?

garlic
    Free Member

Running Maxiss Beavers as a winter tyres on my 29 xc bike. Steel bead, dead cheap and work a treat. No experience of Spesh Storms.

garlic
    Free Member

Running Maxxis Beavers as a winter tyres on my 29 xc bike. Steel bead, dead cheap and work a treat. No experience of Spesh Storms.

scotroutes

Bontrager XR4 Team. I run them year-round F&R on my 27.5 hardtail. You can find them for £30 or so.

shaungero
    Free Member

Where are you buying the maxxis beaver from @garlic ?
    Cheers

crashrash

Interested in this as looking for the same but have limted space on the T129RS. Ideally I would like a bigger tyre but max size is 2.25 and that is very tight for mud clearance in the winter.
    Beaver seems good but also looking at Mountain King 2 as its 2.2 (allegedly – previously found Conti’s come up small) so anyone got an opinion about them? Assume Black Chilli and protection casing.
    Like the idea of the XR4 but too big for me

widge34
    Free Member

Apparently a Maxxis high roller 2.3 will fit the rear of the t129 as it comes up small.

jimw
    Free Member

I use 2.1 Maxxis Ignitors on my 29ers. work well in everything but really gloopy mud

stevedoc
    Free Member

Maxxis minion dhf2.3 on the rear ,rolls quicker than a HR2 and loads of side grab

jam-bo

Forekasters. Running a set at the moment and really like them.

survivor

Specialized Storm front and rear. My go to winter tyres

Don’t see the point in a wide front in this weather.

scandal42
    Free Member

Beaver 2.2 on my t129

br
    Free Member

The only way that a tyre will work all year is if you’ve the same conditions (and you do the same trails) all year.

For me it’s a Minion SS for ‘summer’, a High Roller for so/so and a Shorty for winter.

And been Scotland it’s barely dry for long 🙂

russl
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of beavers on my 29er for the winter, they cut through the mud and find grip well. I went with 2.0 because the local mud is really sticky so I thought less tyre less weight, but now I wish I’d gone a bit bigger as they don’t inspire confidence when leaning over on a corner.

chakaping
    Free Member

I use the dhr2 in 2.3 as an all year round tyre on my 29er. It’s great.

widge34
    Free Member

Is the high roller 2.3 an actual 2.3 or does it come up smaller/larger?

Yetiman
    Free Member

chakaping – I use the dhr2 in 2.3 as an all year round tyre on my 29er. It’s great.

Seconded.

orangespyderman

Another vote the Beaver. Currently have one (2.0 – not much clearance on mine) front & rear on my 29er. Liking it a lot.

a11y

29x 2.25 for winter on the rear of mine. Still not the grippiest for winter mud but does me for natural muddy Scottish stuff. Swapped for a 2.25 Ardent for “summer”. Might go a Shorty on the rear next time – got one on the front and its excellent.

ehrob

DHR2 for the win. Don’t have a 29er anymore, but run them 650b now instead.

Best all round rear tyre I’ve tried. Not the lightest, fastest, or all out grippiest, but acceptable levels of all three, and predictable. And they last me a good while before they need replacing. FWIW my riding is mostly Tweed Valley, natural and trail centre, year round.

I run the 3C Max Terra compound.

GregMay
    Free Member

Beaver out back for me. Excellent tyre.

BillOddie

Running a On-One Smorgasbord on the back of the Chromag, it’s fine in everything bar the nastiest stickiest of mud.

Run a Crossmark in the summer dust…(stop laughing at the back)

jonny-m
    Free Member

Using MK2 protection for the last few months
    Put them on for winter and they’re ok.
    I don’t think they particularly excel at anything, but the roll ok, there’re ok in mud, and they seem pretty tough and are lasting well.
    Size wise I think there’re about right for a 2.2.
    I only bought them cause they were cheap, (about £25 each),TR tyres with a fair bit of grip that would last the winter to save wearing down a set of X kings/Race kings again

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Looking for a 29er rear tyre that I can use all year round, so has to be pretty good in the mud.

Where do you live and what do you ride? Makes a big difference.

Spesh Storms are great mud tyres, but wouldn’t like to run in any conditions where it can’t penetrate the dirt (so very rocky or hard, dry dirt). Beavers are great – not as good in the mud as Storms, but probably a more versatile tyre.

widge34
    Free Member

Forest of Dean and Monmouth are my stomping ground.
    Would really like to know if a high roller 2.3 comes up small as I would probably use this most of the time and maybe a storm for winter months.

chakaping
    Free Member

I think they def come up a bit narrow, yeah.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Anywhere with the Maxxis beavers in 29 *2.25 in stock?

trusty

Widge, have you bought this one or still looking 😉

I’ve got the large beaver (no sniggering) on the back of the hardtail, seems to work fine but it does seem to be a lighter carcass than the shorty on the front. The full sus still has a Nobby Nic on the back, and it’s been fine on the local mud and isn’t scary on hardpack. It’s a 2.35 though so might be a bit big

failedengineer

Spesh Purgatory Control all year on my T-129. As good as anything I’ve ever tried.

core

I really can’t be arsed with changing tubeless tyres depending on conditions, I just run a reasonable tyre year round and accept it’ll be a compromise at extremes of conditions, both wet and dry. If you’re not racing or pushing the limits, is it really worth it?

widge34
    Free Member

trusty – Member
    Widge, have you bought this one or still looking

I’ve got the large beaver (no sniggering) on the back of the hardtail, seems to work fine but it does seem to be a lighter carcass than the shorty on the front. The full sus still has a Nobby Nic on the back, and it’s been fine on the local mud and isn’t scary on hardpack. It’s a 2.35 though so might be a bit big

Just purchased a beaver mate

ianpv
    Free Member

Beavers are very good in mud, and passable everywhere else. I’ve got the 2.0s and they look terrifyingly small but work very well.

trusty

I meant the bike!

One of the Ross boys has just got a whyte t129, loves it

oldnpastit

I really can’t be arsed with changing tubeless tyres depending on conditions, I just run a reasonable tyre year round and accept it’ll be a compromise at extremes of conditions, both wet and dry. If you’re not racing or pushing the limits, is it really worth it?

+1

Maxxis Ardent LUST. A bit slidey in the mud, but doesn’t that just add to the entertainment?

You can always stay at home and sit in your sofa with your slippers and pipe.

birdage

Where are everyone getting big Beavers!?!
    I couldn’t find 29 x 2.25 anywhere. Had one on the front for the last 2 years but appear to be sold out most places.

widge34
    Free Member

trusty – Member
    I meant the bike!

One of the Ross boys has just got a whyte t129, loves it

POSTED 6 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Yes mate. Arrived today

widge34
    Free Member

birdage – Member
    Where are everyone getting big Beavers!?!
    I couldn’t find 29 x 2.25 anywhere. Had one on the front for the last 2 years but appear to be sold out most places.

Maxxis Beaver MTB Bike Trail Tyre Tyres 29" x 2.2 Kevlar Folding Bead DC EXO TR

scandal42
    Free Member

Spesh Purgatory Control all year on my T-129. As good as anything I’ve ever tried.

Do they fit okay then?

What model of 129 is this?

vincienup
    Free Member

Previously I’ve run Dampfs and HighRollers year round. Now I tend to have a less chunky rear on hand (trail boss) but don’t rush to swap around. My attitude is that once the chunky rear has gone on, it’s there til spring at least. So, currently a Vigilante rear, which i consider overkill.

Obviously tyre choices are personal, and different rocks and muds will greatly influence people’s choices.

failedengineer

It’s a ’14 T-129 Works. 2.2 on the back, 2.3 on the front. Mud clearance looks tight, but it has never been an issue. One of my riding chums is now running them on his Orange 5 29er and loves them, too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘29er rear tyre’ is closed to new replies.