Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • 29er race bikes that turn quickly
  • schmiken

I’ve decided that now is the time to finally retire my 5 year old ti race bike and look for something new. I was planning on getting the new Pivot Les 275 frame but a few friends have started to topple my conviction that 650 is the way to go for an XC race bike.

I’m now considering a 29er, like an Epic or a Spark or a Stumpjumper (and will be test riding all soon) but is there anything else out there that handles quickly (so 430mmish chainstays) and is not just fast but fun too?

Gotama
    Free Member

Pivot 429?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have seen so many good reviews of the turner czar that I think it must fit your requirements.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well I can throw my rocky element around like a hooligan but really I can’t be bothered to measure the chain stays. One of those myths about 29rs again? If you throw it hard into the corners it will play

schmiken

I’m not sure if it is a myth or not, but I’ve ridden a lot of 29ers that are just such hard work in the tight and twisty stuff – which all seem to have longer chainstays. I rode a Chinese carbon one with 430mmish ones which felt a lot better.

I know it’s stupid to focus on just one aspect of a frame design, but it seemed to make all the difference!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Then probably grab a demo, 4 days on the element convinced me it was going to be fun.
    [video]http://vimeo.com/40560345[/video]

chakaping
    Free Member

Have a look at the Kona Heihei Race.

Very progressive geometry for a XC race bike.

I’d love the carbon one.

thomthumb
    Free Member

apparently.

teamslug
    Free Member

New Orbea Oiz looks the business

warns74
    Free Member

If you were looking at the Les 275, why not the Les 29?

steve_b77
    Free Member

I can highly recommend the KTM Scarp in any of the Carbon framed variations, I’ve got a Prestige built up with RS1 and 1×11 XTR / XT, most excellent, very fast and good fun, fastest bike I’ve owned to be honest, blows my previous Anthem X 29’er out of the water for XC, trail & marathon riding.

Does have frankly massive 441mm chainstays though (measured along the stay, not horizontally, so probably around 438 in a pure horizontal plane. 😆

There seems to be a theme here with water bottles too (tomthumb)

brassneck

Whyte 29 would be worth a look, feels in no way sluggish on the tight bits.

llatsni
    Free Member

Yeti ARC… it’s a brilliantly fun bike that is viciously fast too. Full disclosure: I happen to have a frame for sale! but genuinely the only reason I’m selling is because my back doesn’t “do” hardtails anymore, so I got an ASRc. Which is amazing, but feels less pure than the ARC.

vondally
    Free Member

I can recommend the Rocky mountain element had one absolutely great bike, sold mine for a pittance.

Try ritchey p 29 er again fine bike, supremely balanced.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Old style (2014) Trek Stache has lovely short chainstays, mine turns pretty well considering it has a 1.5 angleset and 130mm Revs.

Reasonable number (for STW) of people here rave about new ones too (+sizers)

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I always find turning is a function of the angle you turn your handle bars. Not much to do with wheel size. You’re maybe a bit higher up on a 29er, depending upon geometry and BB height etc., so through basic maths it means you have to lean to a greater angle for the same turn radius, and hence a feeling you have to ‘man-handle’ the bike a bit more, but you soon get used to that and for me makes you more involved in the ride. I really struggle to see the downsides. but the debate will rage on no doubt.

cubicboy
    Free Member

I have an Open and the head angle is very steep – it almost feels like the front end is going to fold under you; it’s an acquired taste. I also have an Epic 2015 which is steep but feels like a trail bike in comparison.

nickdavies

Love my new stumpjumper. It weighs nothing, climbs and descents well and is pretty nimble. Increased travel to 100mm over the 80/90 it comes with which Specialized agreed would improve the handling without any real negatives and combined with the spesh onboard tool kits works really well. No idea if bikescene have any cheap frames left though. 27.2 post is possibly the biggest negative, I wanted a slimmer post as I wanted more comfort for distance riding and racing but I do miss the dropper.

otsdr
    Free Member

It’s gotta be the Turner.

pigyn
    Free Member

Having owned a 2015 Yeti ARC that was amazing, get that, unless you want some added value or a dapper colour matched rigid fork, then get the new Orbea Alma. Very similar geo, you get more stealth dropper choice on the Yeti with its 30.9, the Alma is 27.2 so you are limited to the KS Integra. Drill out the removable cable guides to route 😀

Obviously, your idea of an XC bike might not include a dropper post.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Spesh now do a dropper in 27.2 but only with 35 or 50 mm drop.

everyone
    Free Member

Is this because Nino is riding a 29er now? 😉

TheGingerOne

I have had my Yeti ArcC hardtail for 3 years now and I still can’t believe how much fun it is to ride. Yes, it is light and fast, but it really is exceptionally fun and handles very very well.

I have said it before on here, I’m sure, but it really is worth a look.

I have ridden in a number of places and with a number of people who
    didn’t and now do know me and they have all generally been surprised at how fast it goes for a carbon hardtail in non-race places. Think Basque, Llandegla Red and Black, CyB etc

adsh
    Free Member

Not sure why a move from a 650b ht to a 29er would make anyone want to go fs. If anything a 29er ht is even more comfortable and has more grip so fs is less required.

CS length as well as all the other geo will affect nimbleness so you’re probably looking at boost rear ends?

I have one 29er that is definately less nimble – my Spearfish. I think it’s a function of longer wheelbase.

Clink

There have been short chainstay 29ers for years without boost rear ends – Kona Honzo, Canfield YS and Nimble 9 etc. Boost might make it easier but not essential.

schmiken

Cheers for your help guys, I’m gonna go for a 29er Spark after a long test ride weekend!

adsh
    Free Member

Nice – how did you find the twinlock?

ferrals
    Free Member

Did you race it at Cannock? Good? I struggled with wide bars on a 27.5 HT through a couple of sections. There was that one bit with a narrow gap between two trees and a rooty hole which i was having to go really slowly through.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘29er race bikes that turn quickly’ is closed to new replies.