Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 29er Owners – What Commuting Tyres?
  • fadass
    Free Member

At title really – after 7 punctures in 2 weeks on Conti Race Kings i want something a bit more durable as the weather turns rubbish….or should i say more rubbish that it is now :?! Commute is mainly road and a couple of gravel tracks…..was looking at Schwalbe Marathon Extremes 28×1.6, does anyone use these or can comment on their own preference? Many thanks…..

Specialized Fast Trak run tubeless.
    25km a day, 95% off road, no punctures in over two years.

mustard
    Free Member

If you’re mostly on road how about some 35ish mm touring/town tyres schwalbe marathon(?) are well regarded.

krixmeister

I use Kenda Smallblock 8’s for commuting, riding and racing on my 29er. I think they rock for all uses. Run tubeless as well, with some Stan’s, and should be great for your use. Unless your trails have lots of mud – the SB8’s are crap in mud, admittedly.

trail_rat
    Free Member

currently using specialized houfalaize CX 32C armadillos on mine …. they are going – too much resistance

marathons or similar going on !

2bit

+1 Marathons

1000’s of miles in & around London over the last few years & no puncture/tyre issues at all.
    Reflective sidewall is also excellent BUT they are heavy & quite expensive.

When/if these wear out I’ll be buying some more of the same or possibly the Marathon plusses

MrTall
    Free Member

I run Scwalbe Big Apple 2.35’s on my Fargo and think they are fantastic. Roll surprisingly well and have so much volume that they eat up any potholes and really smooth out the ride.

They also look ace when skinnier tyres look a bit wrong. I also have some Spesh Borough CX 700x42c which were dirt cheap and were pretty good but i just prefer the bigger volume tyres. Over my 11 mile commute i’m only a minute or two slower on my 31 lb Fargo than on my 19lb road bike. I can also shoot off down any offraod paths i see when on the Fargo and the tyres cope well (although they are still slicks so no good in wet off road situations).

29erKeith
    Free Member

+1 Marathon+’s

Over a year now and not one puncture yet! and I used to get a few with Conti’ Gator Skins

thomthumb
    Free Member

was going to recommend big apples. i have used michelin world tour 35c in the past. i don’t like the way small tyres have no momentum on a mtb though

nosemineb
    Free Member

#Slight hijack instead of another thread#
    I want a similar commute tyre that runs tubeless easily on crest rims, any thoughts?

29erKeith
    Free Member

I’ve run the Marathon+’s tubeless on 355’s with no problems

fadass
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies everyone……

rewski
    Free Member

Can you get marathon plus in 29 or do the 700s fit ok tubeless?

DaveE

http://www.nextdaytyres.com/tyres/Schwalbe/Rapid-Rob.aspx

Using these. Work well on all surfaces and cheap as chips
    + the excellant service from Steve

TheBrick
    Free Member

Conti

I see your problem…

jameso

2.0 big apple folders were £20 each at planet x recently, great tyres

edit, just saw how old the q was.. anyway, plug for good tyres at PX..

pingu66
    Free Member

Halo twin rail 29er 2.2

Fast rolling dont look sillt like a 38 will but they are useless at anything muddy.

yossarian
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of halo twin rail 2.2’s. Every off road corner is a driftfest and they are not remotely puncture resistant. Also they get sketchy on the road over 30mph. A bit pointless really but they look good!

pingu66
    Free Member

yossarian

I think you may be correct, I am probably not trying hard enough! Still getting some fitness up not seen 30mph yet but I do get the impression that they may break away quickly.

I got mine to help with my fitness this summer so I am not fighting the tyres.

However I suspect that many mtb tyres will be sketchy at 30mph.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘29er Owners – What Commuting Tyres?’ is closed to new replies.