• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by tang.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 29er gearing
  • alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Hi folks,

Iv’e got my order in for a nice shiny green Cotic Solaris 🙂

I plan to run it 1 x 10

Iv’e been busy ordering stuff to build it up with. Im going to be mainly using it to commute, but will take it trail riding on the odd occasion. My buddy rides a Soul and reckons i will end up selling my Nomad when i get the bug for a steel hardtail…….time will tell.

So……….the gearing i choose has got to accomidate getting enough speed up on the road, as well as cycling uphill

I plan to buy an 11-36 cassette, so will a 36 tooth chainring up front be about right?

Alan 🙂

gee
    Free Member

11-36 and 34t will be fine. I tried a 36 on a 29er and just didn’t use the 12/11 on the cassette. I use 36t on the 26″. I do commute 10 miles on the road on it from time to time and, although I’m in the 11/12 then, I don’t want any more gears.

GB

mboy
    Free Member

Too many variables to say “that will be the right size for you”.

What I will say is definitely go for the 11-36 cassette as you’re going 10 speed, makes sense to have the wider range.

Also, take note that 29ers have 10% larger rolling radius on the wheels than 26″ wheeled bikes, which will effectively make the gearing 10% taller. If you’d use a 36T with 11-36 happily on a 26″ wheeled bike, you’d need a 32T or 33T chainring to acheive the same overall effective ratios on a 29er.

rOcKeTdOg

32 11:36 here

matthew_h
    Free Member

I’ve got a 1×10 transmission on my 29er and it works well for me. I’ve got a 33t chainring and an 11-36 cassette. Just about low enough first gear for everything I do, only struggle on really long days when I get tired and could do with a slightly lower twiddly gear. Top gear is fine for well over 20mph and I’ve not run out of gears off road yet as I tend to be freewheeling once that fast anyway.

One thing to bear in mind, I reckon it is less irritating to run out of gears at the top and have to coast than it is to run out of gears at the bottom and have to walk so I would err on the lower side really.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

I run 1 x 9 on my Nomad 32T and 11-34 cassette, which i find perfect for trail riding, but i have used it on the odd occasion to work and could do with another gear…….

Maybe 32 or 34T would be best then.

Cheers.

Nipper99
    Free Member

32t uno front ring with 11/36 on the back of my gryphon which gets up and down the hilly bits of south and mid wales ok – dont use it on the road that much but what i have done is ok with that set up.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

P.S. Forgot to mention, will a short cage mech work ok?

bol

I’d go with a medium cage for 11-36 unless you’ve got a short cage already. It will give you the option to go 2×10 if you want to later then as well. I agree that 32 or 33 on the front would be best on the front, although I don’t personally get the whole 1×10 thing – it doesn’t add a whole load of complexity or weight to go 2×10 and there’s plenty(ish) of room for it on a Solaris. If you do go 10×2 I’d recommend 26/39.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Mmm, I’ve already bought a short cage based on someone’s review of the mech on CRC.

Never mind, see how it goes.

Im gonna try a 32T 1st.

I’ve been running my Nomad 1 x 9 for 3 years now, neatens everything up and less to go wrong 🙂

takisawa2

32t – 11-36 here when I do run geared, not very often though. Low enough to winch me up anything. If your erring more on road use I’d say 36 up front, 38t if its flat. With Smallblock8’s on they toll very fast on the road.
    Superstar XCR chain device keeps the cahin on, but might not be needed for what your describing.

A green Solaris…lovely. Shame to use it just for commuting… 😕

Big-Dave
    Free Member

38 tooth chain ring up front and an 11- 34 set up at the back for me. Bit slow on the steep stuff but pretty useable everywhere else.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Small Block 8’s are on the list.

Paul’s chain keeper has been purchased.

I will use it off-road too, I’ve had a couple of hardtails in the past, but when it comes time to hit the trails i always opted for my Nomad.

Nipper99
    Free Member

med cage rear mech and no chain device, pauls on the 1×9 with a long cage which a pain in the chuff to be honest.

eshershore
    Free Member

I am running 33T front and 11-36T 10 speed rear, with Sram X-0 DH short cage rear mech and E13 XCX front chain guide

works just fine for climbing, riding singletrack and descending

only time I run out of gears is commuting to work, on those rare days I decided to run the 29er to work, and not my road bike 😉

redfordrider
    Free Member

I tested 32 and 11-34 around Glentress Red twice this morning – actually surprised how good it was.

tang
    Free Member

so far for 1×10 in hilly area gone 32 up front with 11-36 out back, med cage mech nice and simple(bash and jumpstop). Also have 26/38 rings for a 2×10 set up which is very good for long days and big hills. 38 with full spread out back is very usable.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘29er gearing’ is closed to new replies.