Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 29er full sus for those of a shorter stature.
  • selwob
    Free Member

I’m looking for a 29er full suss short travel for me and the wife, I’m 5’6 she’s 5’5

Iv been advised against a 29er from a few people (who incidentally ride 26″) due to our height

Lots off manufatures make smaller frame 29er’s so is height really a big deal ?

scotroutes

No. But it will limit your options.

Rscott
    Free Member

I came of the back ofy mates 29 in etempts to ditch it and got a painfull buz on my nuts 5 foot 7. tried a few but coming of the back i big concern for me now. How ever his frame is a 15inch and i had plenty fo room on it, I guess its all about frame sizing not bike make.

womp
    Free Member

I’m 5’6 on a good day and have no problem with my 29er, so I’d say don’t listen to your people!

gooner69

I`m about same height as you and easily fit onto my Anthem size small, or my Trek marlin S/S size 15.5.
    In fact I would suggest that changing to 29`ers has transformed my riding, my lap times at Bristol bikefest were about 27,29 respectively on those bikes so fairly reasonable:)

The giant is well documented and highly rated so your prob aware of them already but the little trek is a cheap as chips starter hardtail that has since been transformed by transplant from my whyte19 (26) singlespeed. Finally I tried a trek superfly bouncer before buying the Anthem and took ages agonising over which way to go. Both bikes are very lively.

br
    Free Member

My pal and his wife are your sizes, they share a Genesis 29er HT – works for them

selwob
    Free Member

Cheers for the responses guys looks like a big wheeler is back on the table 🙂

Womp- that’s a nice bike where is the reverb cable routed ?

womp
    Free Member

Cheers, it’s a stealth so i routed the cable in near the head stock down the down tube via the btm bracket and up

It’s was a pain to do but the result is neat

scotroutes

Here’s an option..

The Salsa Spearfish comes in both XS(5’2″-5’5″) and X(5’5″-5’9″) sizes.

zippykona

I’m 5’7ish and have just got a medium super light 29 so a small should be just dandy for you.

selwob
    Free Member

Cheers guys I will add those options to the ‘new bike’ spreadsheet

Any recommendations for a Lanashire salsa dealer ?

Womp- what year is yours ? I can’t find those colours only plain black and silver

br
    Free Member

womp

Is that your normal saddle height, if so must be hard to keep weight over the front end on climbs?

womp
    Free Member

It’s a 2013 2990

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mobile/MobileModels.aspx?ModelID=96852

The saddle goes up about another inch for climbs, but I do prefer a more sit up and beg position for general trail duties, it still climbs like a mountain goat though, being short and light I guess i don’t tend to effect the COG as much as a lurch.

iainc

Emperors new clothes ? 🙂

selwob
    Free Member

Wow that’s a little out of my price range womp, did not realise it was the carbon job

Superficial
    Free Member

All of the arguments against 29ers are basically down to how the rider can handle the extra bulk / weight associated with bigger wheels, and if you’re small then those arguments carry more weight. The debate is had for an ‘average’ rider of, say, 5’10 – 5’11 and the further you deviate from that average, the more or less a 29er makes sense.

I’m sure you can get a 29er to fit, but why do you feel the need to shoehorn yourself onto a big that’s possibly too big? Because they’re the latest fashion? Some notion that it’s gonna make you faster? The marketing boys have really got you wrapped around their fingers.

It seems silly to me. If you must go with a new* wheel size then surely 650b is better?

*yeah yeah, I know 650b has actually been around decades.

scotroutes

A lengthy discussion on the merits of 29ers – well overdue on STW..

rickon
    Free Member

Cordial anyone?

captainsideburns
    Free Member

I’m 5’3 and have been fine on a specialized epic. But probably wouldn’t recommend going over 100mm suspension. You just can’t get the front end low enough. That being said I’ve really been enjoying my specialized fate. Hardly ever miss rear suspension. And so much lighter without it.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘29er full sus for those of a shorter stature.’ is closed to new replies.