Staffordshire Bull Terriers… Great With Kids.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 133 total)
  • Staffordshire Bull Terriers… Great With Kids.
  • Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

no dog in the history of dogs can tell the difference between a villain and a child or a postman.

and in the empirical evidence crap that is the most important the missus as a vet had her worst bite/attack experiences with labs.

Ah the most common dog in the UK and a big dog. Odd that.

Yep, same here. Police dogs, presumably, know a villain when they see one, so I suppose it’s fair to say that it’s within the capability of dogs generally.

dannybee

The black and white cat’s the giveaway with the postman though, surely?

Possibly that or the bills he is pushing through the door ?

no dog in the history of dogs can tell the difference between a villain and a child or a postman.

mine can, dogs are well known for their ability to sense a bad guy.

the late 80’s was 25 years ago dude, your opinion of dogs seems to be stuck their along with your views on tattoos and employment law 😉

dannybee

Even the police have moved on

thats a gorgeous looking staff! nice to see them with proper tails

Shibboleth

Not sure on the villain but our dog can tell the difference between the kids and the postman

It can tell the difference between YOUR kids (members of its pack) and YOUR postman, a familiar face that might be welcomed within the perimeter of your ‘territory’ on a daily basis, but the dog has no clue why the postman or child should be treated any differently!

Jesus, some of the people on here should clearly not be allowed to keep dogs! I’m astounded at the level of ignorance and lack of basic understanding of what motivates a dog to behave the way it does!!!

sam123

The difference is that your dog would more than likely have inflicted horrific, potentially fatal injuries, whereas a non-fighting breed like a collie, Lab or shepherd would most likely inflict a single snap.

Absolute rubbish.

All I’m saying is that, when trained properly, a Staffie will do that same as what you think Collies etc. do.

If I were to raise my voice even slightly, he would have stopped. And that behaviour was not just with me. The only time he would get remotely aggressive, was if I was fighting with my brothers (obviously not actual fighting). He knew not to attack humans. Even if a burglar came in the house, he would have done nothing.

If a collie, labrador etc. are not properly trained, they would also have the POTENTIAL to inflict horrific and fatal injuries.

Yes, there are a lot of horrible Staffies out there, but the same is true for all dog breeds. I just dont think its fair to say that they are all horrible, when its not true.

peter1979

Dogs are animals and as such they have animal insticts. If you keep any animal you live with the risk that although you may feel you know the animal well and trust it, it still is an animal and cannot be 100% predictable. Some animals present small risks, such as small pets like hamsters and rabbits, and some larger risks. If you keep a dogs such as staffies, Rottweilers, mastiffs etc, then the risk you take is much greater. If the animal loses its temper and bites then it’s likely to be very severe.
    Also you have a responsibility to protect others from those risks or accept liabilty if anything did happen.
    Personally I believe it is selfish and irresponsible to keep dogs of this nature if you have children or expose your dog to others. Would you keep a lion as a pet, if you had raised it from birth, and expect it not to attack someone, or yourself? You’d be an idiot to think it couldnt or wouldnt.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

My dog loves all Posties not just the men ones, all because one of old regular ones use to always give him a biscuit. He now see any Postie as a friend even ones he’s never seen before. He came to live with us when he was 2 and spent most of his life with one guy who was housebound, he had someone who walked him, so never really knew what kids were but from the onset was gentle with them. He gets excited whenever he hears or sees kids loves to play with them.

The other thing he loves is bin wagon or did until they bought a new one, he’d get to ride in it before we got sometimes with his last owners Brother. Now it’s the guys it in he’s excited to see when they emptying wheelie bins as sees them all as his friends.

Funny that he can tell the difference, it’s almost like they can see and smell.

My staff is perfect with my kids has been since they were born.so was my other staff till he was put down last Xmas…these dogs get bad names as naive people assume a cross breed is a staff….I’ve seen dogs described as Staffordshire bull terriers in the paper only to see a PIC of a american bull terrier or pit bull. I was around them as a kid and now my kids are around them and never had a problem .yes u do get idiots cross breeding them and training to fight but u also have people who are naïve enough to start threads like this

Frankers

Lifted from dogbiteclaims.co.uk – good chance not fact just for debate

Below are the top ten most aggressive breed:

1, Dachshunds
    2, Chihuahua
    3, Jack Russell
    4, Australian Cattle Dog
    5, Cocker Spaniel
    6, Beagle
    7, Border Collie
    8, Pit Bull Terrier
    9, Great Dane
    10, English Springer Spaniel

The top ten least aggressive dogs:

1, Labrador Retriever
    2, Rhodesian Ridgeback
    3, Poodle
    4, Greyhound
    5, Whippet
    6, Brittany Spaniel
    7, Siberian Husky
    8, Golden Retriever
    9, Havanese
    10, Portuguese water dog

slimjim78

Can anyone point me in the direction of an article where a child has been mauled to death by a Labrador?

Google it. I just did and cant be bothered to post the dozens of hits I found.

Staffs are, in general, amazing dogs. But very strong. The only thing that sets them apart from most other breeds is their inherent strength.
    Therefore, owner responsibility plays the biggest part.

I’ve been bitten several times by collies, labs, yorkies. Never a Staff. Have spent many years around staffs.

Frankers

The biggest problem I have with my Labrador is he eats his own Turds and then tries to lick your face

Only time he’d be fighting is if it was over a battered sausage, he’s loves them when I’m on a drunken walk back from the pub past the chippie

hora

1, Dachshunds
    2, Chihuahua
    3, Jack Russell
    4, Australian Cattle Dog
    5, Cocker Spaniel
    6, Beagle
    7, Border Collie
    8, Pit Bull Terrier
    9, Great Dane
    10, English Springer Spaniel

The top ten least aggressive dogs:

1, Labrador Retriever
    2, Rhodesian Ridgeback
    3, Poodle
    4, Greyhound
    5, Whippet
    6, Brittany Spaniel
    7, Siberian Husky
    8, Golden Retriever
    9, Havanese
    10, Portuguese water dog

You’ve lifted something off a small claims companies website? Are they even on companies house?!

skids

I don’t think staffy’s are particularly dangerous dogs compared to say dalmations or rottweilers but such a large proportion of the owners of them are losers than want them to be aggressive

mikewsmith

and in the empirical evidence crap that is the most important the missus as a vet had her worst bite/attack experiences with labs.
    Ah the most common dog in the UK and a big dog. Odd that.

Cheers for that Drac

more the one that left the scars…

Or more to the point most of the BS on here is down to empirical evidence or stuff i wead on da inernet/daily mail

Owned a wonderful staffie and met a lot who were great and a heap of *************s who should not be able to own dogs.

We also had a bengal cat who we thought would have murdered small children but was incredible with all of them.

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

If it helps,I have been attacked by more cats than dogs.

phil.w

but the dog has no clue why the postman or child should be treated any differently!

Correct, my dog has no clue why children are treated differently.
    Yet she knows to treat them differently and this is the important bit.

Premier Icon dmorts
    Subscriber

Staffie’s are lovely dogs. Banning them will only cause chavs etc. to move onto and ruin another breed.

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

I’d never have a dog I couldnt kill with my bare hands…

I once told a young nephew this (in jest onviously).

By the time my nephew had explained this to his class mates at school, I had acheived something of a cult status as the the man who goes around killing dogs with his bare hands

My Dad kept Jack-Russel’s when we were young. Nasty, vindictive little dogs. Faithful as they come but by christ were they unpredictable. I can rembering one launching at my younger sister, grabbing her hand & ragging it like a toy, next thing he’s protecting her when we tried to bandage her up. Totally unpredictable.

Also, it’s worth saying that a lot of the Staffies in rehoming centres aren’t there because of aggression, but the lack of it: chavs get them, only to be disappoint when their stuffy just wants to lick people’s faces and play with tennis balls, and that big mouth turns out to be for laughing and smiling with, not chomping on an imaginary drug baron’s face.

votchy

I had a staffie, best dog I or the family ever owned, when my eldest son was born the dog, whilst never left alone with my son, was as gentle as could be, even as my son grew to be a toddler the dog was ALWAYS on the side of the child, when playing with my son on the floor the dog would always let me know if he thought my playfulness was too much for my son, dog slept outside my sons bedroom door so from personal experience with one particular dog I do not believe staffies to be bad dogs, would definitely have another if circumstances would permit ownership of a dog.

Humans are far more dangerous than staffies and people who say they are devil dogs and all want shooting have been reading too many magazines. Until you have owned one you have no idea and are repeating what others are saying, very original

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Humans are far more dangerous than staffies

Indeed ……

It could be a childs face next time! 😆

IanMunro

Staffs are pretty dodgy imo, but not as bad as pitbulls.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFmUPBHRhdk[/video]

mightymule

Is Shibboleth actually a real human being?

10/10 for trolling effort.

i trained my staffie to hate pedophiles so now I don’t know if I should it alone with kids, or how the BBC will report the outcome.

5thElefant

I’m heartily sick of the pro-dog lobby in this country. They are dirty, smelly and downright dangerous (the dogs, not the people. Although …) and the sheer number of them these days is ridiculous. We care more for dogs in this country than people (Stafford hospitals?) Grrrrrrrrr.

I was casually watching the news on TV while eating lunch – showing dead bosnian children in the street. It didn’t even register. Then they showed a dead puppy in the gutter. I nearly cried. Which was odd.

You have a point.

Mrs Toast

I’d like to get Shibboleth drunk and get him a Staffie tattoo. 😀

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

We care more for dogs in this country than people (Stafford hospitals?) Grrrrrrrrr.

They have a hospital just for Staffordshire Terriers?

On a more serious note, please watch this and then you’ll see what you said is utter garbage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01s5ftf/Keeping_Britain_Alive_The_NHS_in_a_Day_Episode_5/

Premier Icon Woody
    Subscriber

Haven’t read past this hora masterpiece, so apologies if I’m repeating

A dog’s only master is the male in the house. A very sad fact.

Sometimes hora, you are an amusing muppet, other times you’re just a **** idiot. The danger is there just may be some people stupid or gullible enough to think you actually know what you’re on about

Hora – the Alpha female in our house, has far greater control of the dogs than I. Maybe that explains my happiness and contentment. 🙂

Premier Icon RichT
    Subscriber

I would love to see some proper data on the frequency of serious attacks analysed by breed and other factors.

I’ve got a feeling that such other factors such as gender and whether the dog is neutered would be much more important than breed. It would also be interesting to look at factors such as if a dog has a microchip and how many walks it gets, as these may be associated with responsible ownership.

Oh and for the record, I’ve been bitten by two jack russells and badly attacked as a kid by a german shepherd.

I’ve had 3 bitches. A soft boxer as a kid. A lovely Flat-coat X Gordon Setter who was very affectionate but bonkers. I currently have one from Battersea who is a Rottweiler X American Bulldog. She loves food, all types of people including postmen and playing with other dogs, hates squirrels and crows and is scared of horses, swans, cows, hot air balloons and hot water bottles.

yunki

Mrs Toast – Member
    I’d like to get Shibboleth drunk and get him a Staffie tattoo.

I’d like that 😀

Shibboleth, I have had a staff for 10 years, with two kids from new born. My kids have NEVER been bitten. Stanley my staff has never gone to bite them, me my partner or anyone. Including the postman who he rarely sees and changes often so your theory around a familiar face is bullshit.

Whilst I appreciate you are entitled to your opinion I think you need to get off your high horse and stop forcing your ideas on other people. Any dog is capable of this kind of attack, as you state in your op. These dogs are no longer bred for fighting, that is unfortunately their history.

Aorry if this offends any mods but you are effectively tarring all staff owners with the same brush. But I am certainly not a shellsuit wearing chav, I live in a respectable area, hold down a good job pay my taxes and dont live off benefits.

P.s my youngest has been bitten by a dog and required stitches. However you would be surprised to hear it wasn’t a staff it was a sharpy

My mate calls Staffies, ‘baby eaters’. He doesn’t have a baby & has never been bitten by a dog of any breed BTW.
    I just don’t like the look of them TBH.

The argument that all dogs can bite is bs if I kept a lion you wouldn’t accept ‘but all cats can bite so a lion is fine’ I have a big ass dog who isn’t neutered but is very well behaved but I keep him away from staffs when walking, they are dodgy mutts especially if they see what they perceive to be a dominant threat like a big intact male. There’s an old guy who walks his everyday in the park and his is amazing round dogs and people but that is the only one. There is no reason why these council estate Muppets should be allowed to buy ANY dog that’s potentially dangerous. I’d make it law that to have a powerful breed you need a license that is obtained by finishing a 20hr dog training course, soon see who actually needs a bull terrier then.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

The argument that all dogs can bite is bs if I kept a lion you wouldn’t accept ‘but all cats can bite so a lion is fine

Ermmm! What?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘Staffordshire Bull Terriers… Great With Kids.’ is closed to new replies.